Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I was able to get out tonight and plant (2) plots, one just sunflowers (figured I could spare a 1/4 acre of the 80 for my wife :LOL: ) and the 2nd was Real World soybeans-peas-sunflower mix. This was the first time I used my recently modified cultipacker, on the front of my tractor, it works frikin awesome. It's best suited for rectangle plots where you can go straight, curvy meandering plots will be best suited pulling it with the Ranger. My plots are done until Labor Day, I'll probably overseed a few areas with some brassica and rye.
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Tractor Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Spent the day cleaning up my 1 mile perimeter trail, it’s now ready for brush hogging, it’s incredible how many trees fall throughout the winter right where you don’t want them 😡. The last little bit I was cleaning up goes through a low point that has seasonal water, last year I destroyed the tire on my Ranger, couldn’t see exactly what had done it, but looked like a tee post went through it. Well, today I was able to verify it was indeed an old rusted t-post that was razor sharp, unfortunately I stepped right on the Mother F-ER, both points went thru my shoe and into my foot. The little point went into the ball of my foot (stopped at bone) and the wider part sliced between 2 toes. Ended up coming home cleaning it up with peroxide and alcohol, then went for a tetanus shot. I went back to the property afterwards, limped a bit, but finished up my work and dug out the culprit.
Terrestrial plant Twig Wood Terrestrial animal Pollution
Nature Bedrock Wood Trunk Grass

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
Ouch! Man that sucks. Hope it heals up quickly for you Greg.

Reactions: IceHog

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
thank god no one ever tripped over it and fell right on it. Hoping for a quick heal iceHog.

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Finally got my "Blade on a Bag" seed down today. This weather has been tricky, so I chose the upper 50s at daybreak today versus the alternatives. Late, I know, but you do what you can, when you can.

Too dry? Perhaps. But I'm banking on the dew and the thatch layer to work in my favor.

Before:
Plant Tree Natural landscape Sky Twig

The inputs:
Plant community Plant Wood Natural landscape Grass

After sowing:
Footwear Shoe People in nature Gesture Grass

Finished:
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Agriculture

Question:
It looks like I've got two different types of grain here. What's in the red circles and what's in the yellow? Or are they the same, but one is better developed than the other?
Leaf Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Woody plant

What do you think @AT1010 ? Am I going to be as successful with the "Sprout on a Sack" as I was with "Buck on a Bag"? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

What does Barley look like?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Finally got my "Blade on a Bag" seed down today. This weather has been tricky, so I chose the upper 50s at daybreak today versus the alternatives. Late, I know, but you do what you can, when you can.

Too dry? Perhaps. But I'm banking on the dew and the thatch layer to work in my favor.

Before:
View attachment 838855

The inputs:
View attachment 838856

After sowing:
View attachment 838857

Finished:
View attachment 838859

Question:
It looks like I've got two different types of grain here. What's in the red circles and what's in the yellow? Or are they the same, but one is better developed than the other?
View attachment 838854

What do you think @AT1010 ? Am I going to be as successful with the "Sprout on a Sack" as I was with "Buck on a Bag"? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

What does Barley look like?
Sure looks good!
Barely looks like a cereal grain - Nitro Boost | Vitalize Seed Company
Click on pictures with my ballcap, zoom in and you'll see what looks like young rye grain - that is barely popping up.

As for above, I would guess that is an orchard or timothy type perenially grass. The head-on on the right looks like winter-rye

I was able to find this image that I felt showed winter rye seed heads the best, for comparison!

Good luck! I will do rain dance for ya!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Well, life's been way way to busy lately but finally got clover in my first plot ever. Just took a soil test and will be sending it in tomorrow. Not too worried how it is now, but wanted to get something planted. Farmer swears the soil will be just fine as he planted it and took care of it for many many years but stopped maybe a decade ago. Plan on replanting late summer the majority of it with something for more late season browse. Stream just to the left maybe 10 yards off the plot, beyond that is a few acres of CRP. To the right its thick thick for 40 yards before going up a steep hill to the main farm field. Ground stays nice a moist. Washtenaw county.

Plant Natural landscape Road surface Tree Sky

Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Road surface

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Spent the past couple nights spraying plots, they're looking really good, but the 10 day precipitation forecast sure isn't looking great. Tonight I cleaned up 6 of my elevated blinds, I'm sure most guys don't take time shop vac their blinds and do Spring cleaning, but I'm just a bit OCD. I also treat them inside and out for bugs, primarily to stop bees from nesting.

Snapped a picture of a sugarbeet plot and some new clover winding through switchgrass.
Plant Plant community Land lot Grass Agriculture
Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Tree

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Thanks Lab. I'm pretty hard headed :bonk:and have trouble sitting still, but in all honesty my foot is healing great. No infection at all and the pain has reduced significantly, so I'm back at it. Saturday morning I'll hopefully finish mowing my access trails and spray some SumaGroulx, it'll be a light work weekend since we have a couple open houses to attend.

Reactions: LabtechLewis
121 - 138 of 138 Posts