Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2022 Huron River warm and coolwater

6326 72
Fished 30 minutes today, c&r a northern around 22 or 23”. First one of many this year I imagine.
Water Vertebrate Lake Fish Watercourse
41 - 60 of 73 Posts
If the Tribar spill effected the Ann Arbor impoundments this severely, it would also mean all of the Portage lake chain along with Kentsington lake would have the same outcome
  • Helpful
Reactions: MickL
or worse (not defending Tribar)
I"m sure it did...and if I were property owner on the chain of lakes I'd start a class action lawsuit with all other property owners....
If the Tribar spill effected the Ann Arbor impoundments this severely, it would also mean all of the Portage lake chain along with Kentsington lake would have the same outcome
Im chasing gators again in the am no suckers this time going to catch whats there on wax worms and teardrops and feed them what they live on we shall see!!!!
I just don’t think this is the case, I really don’t. I have not heard any issues of the fishery collapsing anywhere on the Huron watershed except from right here on MSF and solely based on one persons experience from a few fishing trips around Ann Arbor this summer.
I"m sure it did...and if I were property owner on the chain of lakes I'd start a class action lawsuit with all other property owners....
I did a little data gathering to compare some recent bass catching on Kent Lake to what it was before the chromium spill.
On 10/15/22 the Katchem League held one of their One-on-One Saturday tournaments. I've seen the fish weights for the top 7. It totals 77 lbs. Last year that league did not hold one of those tournaments on Kent L in the fall, but in 2020 they did. It was 9/19/20 and the top 7 weighed-in a total of 78 lbs.
Reactions: TroutFishingBear
Well my fish are largely gone lol...more than just a few trips too (easy 30-40 1-2 hr stops between aug and nov) and many other folks in person reporting similarly. Tried several Impoundments, river itself, etc. Several sections...Hopefully just a bad fall. Will report again in april!
Anyone still still chasing after smallies? With the weather staying for the most part in the 40s I'm still picking up a few here and there. Tubes and Trd worms have been the ticket. Managed 2 on Friday, both a little over 16". The lower metro parks have been good this fall. A couple of bad pics. Not the same fish. Water Fisherman Fish Fin Recreational fishing
Water Fin Fish Fluid Liquid
Im thinking of taking the boat out in erie after seeing that 11 pounder i got some mental spots out there that usually produce some tanks
Hit up one of of our lower metro parks Tuesday and Wednesday for a couple hours each day. Managed 2 real nice ones Tuesday on tubes fishing deeper slow moving slack water. Wednesday was too windy, left early (unsafe as well ).This was the only pic I took, this one was 19". I'm horrible at pics, I swear it's 19. Lol. Other one 16". I believe my smallmouth days are almost over, weather is not looking good. Gonna have to go back to chasing unicorns. Water Fish Lake Ray-finned fish Tail
You can blame the fish. Looks like it was doing a tail curl in the wrong direction. If the curl had been toward the camera it would look longer and deeper. Good size smallie.
This was the only pic I took, this one was 19". I'm horrible at pics, I swear it's 19.
I’ve had great luck on huge smallies this time of the year. Drop shotting golden shiners north of the 1-96 Kent lake bridge. The neck down. Produced 7 fish over 5lbs on one particular thanksgiving day…. Sometimes right under the iron pedestrian bridge or maybe a bit beyond it
I had an epic day also on 5lb small and largemouths at kensington last year fishing suckers and shiners on slip sinkers havent been back since lol too scared to curse that day i actually ran out of bait and had some hot chicks watch my stuff to run back to holdens they thought it was funny i was so focused on getting bait and back to my spot without any interruptions lol
Reactions: Grinnell
Was supposed to go to the grand again this weekend for another steel trip but cant...have to go up to flint instead for my wife and her family...may drown a worm or two in the ultimate smallie spot near downtown flint and see what i get (may not and just be lazy tho too). Not a Huron post but kinda counts as SE MI and winter smallies lol.
Reactions: riverwart
Hit up the parks for another go. The weather was beautiful to start the day off. Managed to land a couple, lost 2 and missed 1. They were on the smaller side this time, 15" and maybe 13". I guess I'll keep chasing smallies til we freeze up. Water Sky Cloud Natural landscape Branch
Fawn Wood Fish Tail Snout
Water Lake Fisherman Fish Watercourse
Golden holdens and hot chicks. Amen
I had an epic day also on 5lb small and largemouths at kensington last year fishing suckers and shiners on slip sinkers havent been back since lol too scared to curse that day i actually ran out of bait and had some hot chicks watch my stuff to run back to holdens they thought it was funny i was so focused on getting bait and back to my spot without any interruptions lol
Pretty darn good for dec.
Hit up the parks for another go. The weather was beautiful to start the day off. Managed to land a couple, lost 2 and missed 1. They were on the smaller side this time, 15" and maybe 13". I guess I'll keep chasing smallies til we freeze up.
Reactions: riverwart
First year I've tried this late in the season. Usually shut it down around the end of September and switch to steelhead. The smallies keep biting so I'm gonna keep going till they say enough.
Pretty darn good for dec.
Gave the Huron a go this morning. Windy and 36* to start. First hour+ nothing. Switched area and tried a deep mud hole out of the current that usually gives up at least one. Was surprised how good it was. Landed 7, lost 3. Biggest 2 were 18" and 19". Most were around 16". Tubes and Ned rigs slow crawled in once again. Foul hooked a carp that had me going for a minute as well. Bottle Water Wood Asphalt Road surface

Attachments

Been doing good the past 2 weeks fishing the lower stretch. Very few steelhead around but plenty of toothy fish to play with.
Mesh Grass Art Fishing net Net

Fishing net Water Vertebrate Mammal Fish
Fishing net Hood Grille Smile Mesh

Water Hood Liquid Mesh Lake

Tableware Water Liquid Drinkware Stemware

Water Water resources Body of water Liquid Lake

Water Vertebrate Wood Asphalt Road surface
41 - 60 of 73 Posts