Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished 30 minutes today, c&r a northern around 22 or 23”. First one of many this year I imagine.
Water Vertebrate Lake Fish Watercourse

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuesday fished an hour, landed an overzealous 16” pike that hit like it was a 3 footer. No other sign. Figured it was because the sun was high and bright with clear water and all I had was a pink crankbait on me….today conditions seemed perfect, some wind and chop but not too bad, cloudy, no rain until my last cast or two, but Shockingly no Esox Lucius today. No bass, catfish or walleyes playing yet, water a bit cold for the bass, should be ok for eyes but their population is pretty low where I was at so even if they are biting I most likely wasn’t going to know.

Reactions: concentroutin

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been slow. I have been fishin too little too fast though with cranks. Will Report better news soon. Toss soft plastics like neds and fish em reaaaaal slow, should work.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tossed a 5” pumpkin senko on a 1/0 ewg red gamakatsu, trying to c and r a bass during lunch break. Of course the bass didn’t want to play, hooked a 3 foot pike instead. After a minute she cut the 12 lb mono I was using. Hooked another fish a bit after, smaller pike I think, didn’t see it, shook off real quick.

was happy to hook a 3 ft pike again, even if bass fishin and she got me… 33ish was the biggest I caught last year. Hope to catch a 3 ft plus this year.

did throw a crank for a bit, nothing wanted it. Both fish hit on an ultra slow retrieve with the senko.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water level is high and visibility only 2 to 2.5 feet…but I whacked them toothy critters today (figuratively). Got an approximately 34” on a crank with segments that suspended, brother sent it to me in the mail so not sure the brand. Neutral whitish blue color. Fish was deep in front of some rocks with an eddy on the pause. Next cast bam a 28” pike. Next cast caught a log or rock. Lost the lure. Whacky rigged a 5” pumpkin senko first cast hooked something heavy. Ended up about a 10 lb golden walleye (carp) first of the year on the huron second overall for me. It took the senko didnt get snagged. Also got a skinny 20” pike. Only about an hour total.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have got like 5 or 6 hammer handles (15 to maybe 18”) in a couple hrs over the past week since I got the nice fish. My Boss also went with his son for a couple hours on the weekend and they got 3 hammer handles also but one nice 3 lbs or so smallie, really dark fish. Seems it is dink fest now that everything has warmed up. But that is good, means a strong new generation of fish is coming, probably the most 15-18s around since 2016.

not really seeing much with respect to largemouth in the Huron river reservoirs this year, and I am using the same stuff I am hammering the largemouth bass with in Irish Hills..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Avoid the huron river Impoundments in ann arbor area this weekend. The hot weather started the carp spawn a bit early, water is a mess because of all the ruckus they are causing and gamefish were not active because of it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pond above papermill dam has the most carp in the world lol, one year I saw like a trillion of em from the little dock to half a mile up the pond and they all swim together essentially in unison rolling all around each other, sometimes wildly right bear the bank. even saw one get swept up on shore and flop back in.

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
Across the lake from the Rawsonville boat launch @ Belleville Lake, and just a tad "downstream," there is a shallow bay. As soon as the water warms, it is filled with spawning Carp. Literally 1000's of Carp. Bowfishermen could harvest gravel haulers full.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Avoid the huron river Impoundments in ann arbor area this weekend. The hot weather started the carp spawn a bit early, water is a mess because of all the ruckus they are causing and gamefish were not active because of it.
I was fishing a creek off the Huron yesterday. Every once in awhile there would be what looked like an underwater eruption. A mushroom cloud of mud breaking the surface.
Was I seeing a carp spawn?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most likely, possible it was just eating but if it was over and over again multiple fish in a boil basically then yeah.

Fishing was tough?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got 3 largemouth today in 30 min in ann arbor on a huron impoundment, only 8-13" but happy to find some. Means they reproduced at least a bit successfully a couple years ago, great to see.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went 3/5 on 16-20” hammer handles using jerkbaits. My coworker was fishing with me for his second time in the USA (he limited out on stockerfest with some other coworkers), and he hooked probably a 4 lb largemouth on a senko but lost it. Not a bad two hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts