Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Not a bad weekend, got the pups first wild bird! He had a couple of points on woodcock on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Attachments

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Still trying to get the grouse pinned consistently but we’re doing well with the woodcock. This forum is helpful for a first time dog handler and Southern transplant to Michigan. View attachment 856187
There used to be a saying "it takes 500 grouse to make a grouse dog"
I still hear it on occasion.
Contacts and repetition is the key.
Woodcock allow dogs to get closer.
Grouse prefer more space typically .

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
There used to be a saying "it takes 500 grouse to make a grouse dog"
I still hear it on occasion.
Contacts and repetition is the key.
Woodcock allow dogs to get closer.
Grouse prefer more space typically .
I've always heard this also.
Personally, I keep my young dogs off woodcock, I believe it makes for bad bird manners. The last few dogs I've brought up have been pretty good grouse dogs, and I've never killed a woodcock over them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Woodcock are great for teaching young dogs steadiness in my opinion. I’m observing more and more woodcock running every year it seems. This only helps with grouse handling progression.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woodcock are great for teaching young dogs steadiness in my opinion. I’m observing more and more woodcock running every year it seems. This only helps with grouse handling progression.

I would agree with this from my experience. Every woodcock I flush holds tight. I swear you almost have to step on them to get them to flush sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Drahthaar is nearly 3.5 years old. First year hunting was only with gps collar and added bell part way into season last year. Bell has helped me a lot in learning when he’s getting into a bird. The thread on types of collars to use has been educational. Definitely have had a few woodcock that are moving away from the dog. Majority do hold tight. I understand that grouse are harder to get pointed but we are both having fun with the woodcock and he seems to be adjusting to the situation so hopefully it isn’t impacting his learning how to deal with grouse too much.

·
Registered
15,309 Posts
My Drahthaar is nearly 3.5 years old. First year hunting was only with gps collar and added bell part way into season last year. Bell has helped me a lot in learning when he’s getting into a bird. The thread on types of collars to use has been educational. Definitely have had a few woodcock that are moving away from the dog. Majority do hold tight. I understand that grouse are harder to get pointed but we are both having fun with the woodcock and he seems to be adjusting to the situation so hopefully it isn’t impacting his learning how to deal with grouse too much.
I hunt one section of woods that is phenomenal for woodcock. Everyone else hunts it too. I see as many as 3-4 groups a day hit it on a weekend. The past two years I have noticed a few woodcock running from dogs and not holding at that location.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
339 Posts
Finally made it up to hunt this weekend . Had a blast
Food Cooking Churrasco food Gas Wood
Vehicle Hat Smile Baseball cap Carnivore
Eye Dog breed Carnivore Dog Fawn
Dog Automotive tire Companion dog Carnivore Fender
with Marsha , my kids and new pup. We hunted 2 hours sat and 4 Sunday . We had 42 total flushes and this year is first that the majority of them were grouse. With real tough shooting we did pretty good. 3 grouse and 5woodcock. Very small shooting windows with chest high ferns and leaves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts