Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We checked and cleaned the ladders today. About a dozen steelhead in the upper wells at Webber today. Nobody fishing at Webber, Portland or Grand Ledge in late morning, early afternoon. A handful of people fishing 6th Street from shore this afternoon. Saw 3 or 4 steelhead using the ladder over the 5 minutes or so we watched.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I mentioned in the Joe ladder thread, I'll get back on reports soon. I was off recovering from surgery until early July. My co-workers from Plainwell have spent a lot of time at Webber repairing wear in the concrete and holes that had started developing in the floor of many of the wells. The concrete is thick, but once it starts to wear, it progresses at a faster rate. They've been filling in the holes and wear areas with special cement and then plating the areas with steel. We did the same thing at Grand Ledge and Portland ladders a few years back. About 3/4 of the way done at Webber fitting days in between fish surveys and walleye pond work. Thousands of pounds of steel plating brought down the catwalk, lowered down by hand and bolted down on 90 degree days. Can't use a skytrac at Webber as we were able to at Portland and Grand Ledge. An example of some of the unseen work we do as fisheries techs and biologists. Probably would have been well over $100,000 to contract the work out. That's the update for now until the coho start in a month.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just out of curiosity could these Dams be replaced with something like the Frankenmuth Dam.
link below
The Frankenmuth Fish Passage Project – The Impossible Made Possible - Cass River Greenway
thanks
aphess223
Webber dam is a monster bro, I don’t think so.

thank you for your service Mike. I sincerely appreciate that you serve your bosses (us), and you are very down to earth.You don’t have to be here and give us any info at all, clearly you care and are going above and beyond.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just out of curiosity could these Dams be replaced with something like the Frankenmuth Dam.
link below
The Frankenmuth Fish Passage Project – The Impossible Made Possible - Cass River Greenway
thanks
aphess223
I'm not a dam expert so I can't really answer your question. Every dam removal comes with it's own challenges and solutions. The larger the dam, the more complicated the removal and subsequent channel and riffle design. Dam owners have to want to have their dam removed which is the first step in the process. Lyons dam on the Grand was removed a few years back.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Thanks to you guys for the hard work, and for the detailed and interesting report on what's been happening at Webber. Weather is suppose to be more comfortable next week.
Maybe the fishing right beneath the ladder will be good after repairs, 0 bites there last 3 seasons

Reactions: MickL

·
Registered
453 Posts
Maybe the fishing right beneath the ladder will be good after repairs, 0 bites there last 3 seasons
I'm glad you posted that.. i learned something. I thought it was illegal to fish within 100 ft of a fish ladder, so i grabbed my Fishing Guide. I see it says unlawful to fish IN a fish ladder. There's a 100 ft requirement for a lamprey weir.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts