Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
161 - 180 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Annual plant Circle Flower

Plant Plant community Vegetation Grass Terrestrial plant

Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Leaf vegetable

Landscape fabric is amazing with the staples. 4"-6" gap leaves plenty of room to plant, then lay in pieces of cut fabric between plants or just mulch. A somewhat expensive approach, but just a little preparation and weeding is much easier.

We're on our 2nd year and reused most of last year's fabric and working great.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Few more items a couple days ago

View attachment 839137
.looks good Iam getting few beans that’s perfect zuccine they are driving me nuts everyday I check my 8 plants and have lots of females no males here the head scratcher. They all seem to be growing.I look real good everyday last two weeks positively no males and don’t grow anything else except tomatoes beans peppers and cucumbers and none of neighbors have gardens.what do you think here’s couple pics
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Grass Arecales

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Flower

Plant Terrestrial plant Cucumis Insect Vegetable

Plant Terrestrial plant Herbaceous plant Flowering plant Annual plant

·
49,177 Posts
.looks good Iam getting few beans that’s perfect zuccine they are driving me nuts everyday I check my 8 plants and have lots of females no males here the head scratcher. They all seem to be growing.I look real good everyday last two weeks positively no males and don’t grow anything else except tomatoes beans peppers and cucumbers and none of neighbors have gardens.what do you think here’s couple pics View attachment 839160
View attachment 839159
View attachment 839161
View attachment 839158
I think that's pretty much how they start. You'll get a few "female" but they just don't grow. 2nd round seems to set them off.

·
49,177 Posts
Got a couple more zucchini, a couple pickles and enough beans to be worth cooking (though I admit I ate some raw in the garden...).

I'm starting to wonder if my tomatoes are not what they were supposed to be. The celebrity are a lot larger than the others. Could be placement in the garden I suppose. But the mountain fresh are the same size as beefsteak, which doesn't make sense.

Natural material Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Plant

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Twig Grass family

Plant Groundcover Terrestrial plant Shrub Building

Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Tree

Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Flower Annual plant

Plant Flower Groundcover Shrub Flowering plant

Plant Food Terrestrial plant Vegetable Flowering plant

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I’ve had problems with tomatoes not right guy in nursery said he’s had problems with people pulling a tag to loook and than putting back in wrong one so now he puts tag in every container .so far mine look good mountain fresh are short ice but real bushy earl girls about two feet and Juliette’s the tallest lot of blossoms starting to produce.Yours look great especially get pickles and peppers.It looks like Iam finally going to get some male flowers on zuccinnes in couple days hope I get females.still can’t understand how the females are growing when there isn’t another garde for 500 yards and for sure didn’t have in males but have about 25 five to seven inch’s and look perfect

·
Registered
5,523 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Looks great never saw a pepper or tomatoe tha big in June.Tell you put lots of work into it,Keep your shot gun handy ground hogs are mostly out in daylight
I had the shotgun but only birdshot to try and remedy a different problem. Going to take the 22 next time.

That woodchuck is sneaky. Only time I see him out and about is when I come back from driving somewhere.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I had the shotgun but only birdshot to try and remedy a different problem. Going to take the 22 next time.

That woodchuck is sneaky. Only time I see him out and about is when I come back from driving somewhere.

Ya I use to have lot they are very alert but my dog was excellent a killing them if she saw one she wouldn’t go straight at it she would make big circle around brush and sneak up on them

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts
No pictures, but our garden is doing awesome. We didn’t plant until the week after Memorial Day. Just worked up a good flat piece of ground with the tractor and then tilled the schitt out of it. It was where the previous over stacked his hay, so the ground was pretty compacted. It’s more of a clayish soil, I believe from when they dug the pond (it’s only about 50ft from the pond so we can water it from there if needed). The pumpkins are going crazy, and we’re going to plant the 2 giant pumpkin plants my Wife started in the sun room tonight. Squash and melons are starting to spread and have flowers all over. Pickles and cukes are doing good. The bush beans are doing well but my pole beans seem to be struggling. Cabbage, Brussels, peppers, tomatoes and broccoli are doing great. I just noticed last night that all my asparagus crowns I planted are popped and doing well. The rhubarb took right off and my whole row of onions I was beginning to think were a dud are all going crazy.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
No pictures, but our garden is doing awesome. We didn’t plant until the week after Memorial Day. Just worked up a good flat piece of ground with the tractor and then tilled the schitt out of it. It was where the previous over stacked his hay, so the ground was pretty compacted. It’s more of a clayish soil, I believe from when they dug the pond (it’s only about 50ft from the pond so we can water it from there if needed). The pumpkins are going crazy, and we’re going to plant the 2 giant pumpkin plants my Wife started in the sun room tonight. Squash and melons are starting to spread and have flowers all over. Pickles and cukes are doing good. The bush beans are doing well but my pole beans seem to be struggling. Cabbage, Brussels, peppers, tomatoes and broccoli are doing great. I just noticed last night that all my asparagus crowns I planted are popped and doing well. The rhubarb took right off and my whole row of onions I was beginning to think were a dud are all going crazy.
Glad to see your doing good pretty good garden weather this year could use more rain one thing I did is put straw around all plants and it made big difference keeping ground moist in all this heat don’t have to water near as much

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts
Glad to see your doing good pretty good garden weather this year could use more rain one thing I did is put straw around all plants and it made big difference keeping ground moist in all this heat don’t have to water near as much
Yeah, I was going to do that but never did. I will next year for sure, maybe even this year. It was kind of a shotgun garden since we just moved in October. We weren't even planning on it until the weather got nicer and we both decided we didn't want to go a year without one.

Anyone prune their tomato plants? I have read and seen videos on it, but never have done it. Thinking of giving it a go.

·
Premium Member
16,716 Posts
Also, now that the plants are getting bigger and the melons and squash are starting to spread that is making a big difference in retaining moisture, at least on that side of the garden. Crazy what difference a little bit of shade can do. Our garden is pretty much direct sun light all day long after about 730am.

161 - 180 of 756 Posts