Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 742 Posts

·
47,881 Posts
View attachment 837957
View attachment 837958
View attachment 837956
We struggled getting beans going, but finally prevailed. Okra just wouldn't take off from seed. Finally got a few going.

Peppers did not do well in the cooler temperatures, but this heat seemed to turn them around.

I think our dismal last year brussel sprouts seems this year is looking more promising.
I had the same problem with okra seed. I planted damn near a whole pack indoors on a heat mat and ONE germinated.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
View attachment 837957
View attachment 837958
View attachment 837956
We struggled getting beans going, but finally prevailed. Okra just wouldn't take off from seed. Finally got a few going.

Peppers did not do well in the cooler temperatures, but this heat seemed to turn them around.

I think our dismal last year brussel sprouts seems this year is looking more promising.
looks great super clean I hope to have mine cleaned up by Sunday night but probaly not

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Sure shot seeing your garden motivated me to get to work almost done just have peppers beans and cukes to finish another day.had to stake all tomatoes not in cages so qqwindy blowing them down.sYesterday crawled on ground weeded every thing except end rot of peppers beans cutie and Juliet tomatoes.today put straw around tomatoes and zuccines.put more after rain beats it down Started getting little dizzy from the heat so finish rend another dayOne thing bad is had a12 female flowers and zuzzinne but no males went to couple people I know see if they had extra males so I could pollinate mine but they didn’t have any
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Sky Natural landscape

Cloud Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Natural environment Natural landscape Tree

Plant community Plant Natural landscape Grassland Groundcover

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Something has started helping prune the bottom leaves / branches on my new pear trees
Plant Botany Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Soil

Guessing rabbits. I’ll have to add chicken wire inside the fence. Picked a few strawberries tonight from the last few plants I have. First official harvest of 2022 for me. 🙂

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
So far this year my garden is off to a slow start. I think I made mistake not tilling my leaves in, then covering them with cardboard and compost. Recent reading says that leaves actually pull nitrogen from the soil to decompose and don't put it back till they fully decompose. As you can see in the photo, my plants have yellowed and are growing far slower then expected. I decided to check my soil levels and sure enough my nitrogen is depleted. I decided to try a fertilizer called Alaska fish fertilizer to bring my N values up.
Also following some reading I found on making manure tea. Basically a mix of chicken poop and water that you let sit.
Hopefully the alaska fish stuff works. I'll definitely be following up.

Following up from my post just over a week ago. The Alaska Fish Fertilizer seems to have added the nitrogen I needed. I have yet to test the nitrogen level but my plants are green and growing very well. My tomatoes have basically doubled in size.

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plant Land lot Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Following up from my post just over a week ago. The Alaska Fish Fertilizer seems to have added the nitrogen I needed. I have yet to test the nitrogen level but my plants are green and growing very well. My tomatoes have basically doubled in size.

View attachment 838693

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 838684

View attachment 838693

View attachment 838684
looks great you did great job no weeds that hardest thing for me

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You guys ever use Epsom salt? Greens plants up real nice. Peppers love it.
Allways old timer told my dad about 30 year ago I put table spoon in everything I plant and 13 13 13 fertilizer than side dress everything with same middle of July I just make little trench about 3inchs deepdown alligator rows close to plant and than cover it.Starting to get some little tomatoes so going to stop taking blossom off.Still just lots of zuccine female blossoms can’t find anyone that has any males I could ger

·
47,881 Posts
Allways old timer told my dad about 30 year ago I put table spoon in everything I plant and 13 13 13 fertilizer than side dress everything with same middle of July I just make little trench about 3inchs deepdown alligator rows close to plant and than cover it.Starting to get some little tomatoes so going to stop taking blossom off.Still just lots of zuccine female blossoms can’t find anyone that has any males I could ger
You can spray the leaves too

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
You guys ever use Epsom salt? Greens plants up real nice. Peppers love it.
Was considering this, but limiting putting to much on the plants at once. Once they continue to grow I may try this on a few plants to see how the react.

looks great you did great job no weeds that hardest thing for me
Thanks. Only reason I do not have weeds iis I put down cardboard on top of the garden then covered the cardboard with compost I bought. Only thing that has ever worked for me.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Was considering this, but limiting putting to much on the plants at once. Once they continue to grow I may try this on a few plants to see how the react.

Thanks. Only reason I do not have weeds iis I put down cardboard on top of the garden then covered the cardboard with compost I bought. Only thing that has ever worked for me.
I will have to remember that now I just planted my row far enough to ride the lawnmower and green path to walk down but still have to craw down rats to pull weed around plants trying to put straw around all plants see if that helps plus maybe keep ground moist longer.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I will have to remember that now I just planted my row far enough to ride the lawnmower and green path to walk down but still have to craw down rats to pull weed around plants trying to put straw around all plants see if that helps plus maybe keep ground moist longer.
Landscape fabric is amazing with the staples. 4"-6" gap leaves plenty of room to plant, then lay in pieces of cut fabric between plants or just mulch. A somewhat expensive approach, but just a little preparation and weeding is much easier.

We're on our 2nd year and reused most of last year's fabric and working great.

141 - 160 of 742 Posts