Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Made big mistake couple weeks ago saw flat of yellow beans 48 already started 8 in tall so I love yellow beans so bought for 10 dollars though I get beans early.Problem there pole beans Will they still produce without having anything to climb on.I though they were bush

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Made big mistake couple weeks ago saw flat of yellow beans 48 already started 8 in tall so I love yellow beans so bought for 10 dollars though I get beans early.Problem there pole beans Will they still produce without having anything to climb on.I though they were bush
You'll get better production if they have something to climb. They also become a big tangled mess crawling across the ground.

You can make a cheap trellis with 2 posts and some twine. I grow mostly bush beans but use scrap fencing for climbing types or even old tomato cages.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
You'll get better production if they have something to climb. They also become a big tangled mess crawling across the ground.

You can make a cheap trellis with 2 posts and some twine. I grow mostly bush beans but use scrap fencing for climbing types or even old tomato cages.
Good idea I got bunch of tomatoe cages not using this year because I planted bunch of mountain fresh that are deter men don’t grow tall putting straw around them causin planted them last year best tomatoes I’ve seen they get big like softball but they are not ugly like most big ones perfectly round real good tasting but you only get about 15 to 20 on a plant but I planted 46 so that’s still lots of tomatoes Sill planted 20 early girls and Juliet’s .to have some earlier .The mountain fresh are quite bit later

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
im trying pole beans this year for the first time ever. We're getting too old to bend over and pick beans. Lets see how they taste compared to a bush bean. So far they are doing better then my bush bean.
Peas are blossoming. Tomato's and peppers have been in for 2 weeks and looking good.
Just put in my cucumbers and pumpkin for the grandkids Monday night

·
Registered
16,240 Posts
Pole beans will climb out of a tomato cage in short order, and become a mess. I put them on a trellis that is 8' tall, and they grow way over the top of it. But I love em, because I got a ton of beans, and after the first (low) picking, the beans are clean - no dirt. And I buy some that are purple when they grow, but turn green when you cook them. They are really good.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I miss the veggie stand use to be near my house.Didn’t have to plant beans and they are my favorite when grease. Use to be able to buy enough fresh picked beans for dollar last for week now got to plant and it kills my legs picking them

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
So far this year my garden is off to a slow start. I think I made mistake not tilling my leaves in, then covering them with cardboard and compost. Recent reading says that leaves actually pull nitrogen from the soil to decompose and don't put it back till they fully decompose. As you can see in the photo, my plants have yellowed and are growing far slower then expected. I decided to check my soil levels and sure enough my nitrogen is depleted. I decided to try a fertilizer called Alaska fish fertilizer to bring my N values up.
Also following some reading I found on making manure tea. Basically a mix of chicken poop and water that you let sit.
Hopefully the alaska fish stuff works. I'll definitely be following up.
Plant Green Liquid Food Fluid
Plant Plant community Road surface Botany Grass

Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Wood Plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Road surface Groundcover

Product Rectangle Font Material property Gas

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
We plant purple beans too. But they’re bush beans. The purple is nice because they’re easier to spot when picking. My wife does all the picking of beans. Usually. I focus on the cukes for pickles and tomatoes for canning.

·
49,177 Posts
Everything but a couple of the okra seem to be growing quite well. Beans are very cramped... but the rabbits ain't gonna eat them this year.

Thought about picking the peppers off because it's early but my son thought it was cool so I left them.

Pickles and zucchini are flowering.

Mulched again this year. Didn't weed first though... we'll see. Kinda looks ugly but it does certainly help retain moisture.

I cage everything because the plants tend to get huge and fall over.

Flower Plant Plant community Sky Vegetation

Plant Leaf Tree Terrestrial plant Twig

Plant Terrestrial plant Biome Groundcover Evergreen

Plant Groundcover Flowering plant Terrestrial plant Annual plant

Plant Urban design Wood Terrestrial plant Woody plant

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I bought this bottle several years ago. I'm wondering what the market value today is and how much the price has jumped since.

View attachment 837382
This bottle shows zero nitrogen
Everything but a couple of the okra seem to be growing quite well. Beans are very cramped... but the rabbits ain't gonna eat them this year.

Thought about picking the peppers off because it's early but my son thought it was cool so I left them.

Mulched again this year. Didn't weed first though... we'll see. Kinda looks ugly but it does certainly help retain moisture.

View attachment 837407
View attachment 837405
View attachment 837406
View attachment 837404
View attachment 837408

View attachment 837407
View attachment 837405
View attachment 837406
View attachment 837404
View attachment 837408
Looks real good with straw want do mine got straw but to wet to get in garden now next couple days going to be in middle 90s and stormy to hot for me.Everything growing good including weeds

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Weeds are killing me first to wet no two hot to do anything planted all rows far apart .plan on just cutting with lawnmower have good paths to walk on and put straw around all plants after pulling weeds weather might be cooler on weekend plus broke down and got some help.everything growing good first 3 rows are mountain fresh 46 next two in cages are earl girls than zuccine than peppers beans cukes a grape tomatoes on end for deer last year had pics almost every night of deers they don’t bother nothing else they come for desert I guess and don’t hurt the plants bad apple tree 20 feet away but seem to like the grape tomatoes better
Sky Plant Green Tree Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Sky

Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Tree

Sky Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Forgot one tip for past 20 years and my dad forever before that we allways plant lots Of marigolds in garden and Never had any problems with any bugs or what are they hook worms or what ever.Some times we get those ones that shape like lady bugs and little black aphids or what ever.on Zuccine and cokes egg plants what ever.Than I sprinkle corn starch all over the plants within day they are gone might come back in six week do it again.Old gardener told my dad about40 years ago only things we ever used for bugs,Two bad blight was that easy.But really never remember evan hearing the word blight until about 8 years ago

·
49,177 Posts
Forgot one tip for past 20 years and my dad forever before that we allways plant lots Of marigolds in garden and Never had any problems with any bugs or what are they hook worms or what ever.Some times we get those ones that shape like lady bugs and little black aphids or what ever.on Zuccine and cokes egg plants what ever.Than I sprinkle corn starch all over the plants within day they are gone might come back in six week do it again.Old gardener told my dad about40 years ago only things we ever used for bugs,Two bad blight was that easy.But really never remember evan hearing the word blight until about 8 years ago
Yup my Gramps said the same. Never had blight at all. Had tomatoes until frost. Now it's pretty much everywhere.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Yup my Gramps said the same. Never had blight at all. Had tomatoes until frost. Now it's pretty much everywhere.
That’s what bugs me never had to worry about blight until about 8 6 years ago now got spray every couple weeks with bacon soda.Same with ticks never use to be concern now Iam afraid to go inwoods unless I have my cloths on that spray good with perifen.Now Iam praying for cool weather so I can get weeds pulled around plants and put straw down than just cut middle of rows with riding lawnmower.Iam jealous of how neat your garden looks

121 - 140 of 756 Posts