Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
I actually live in the suburbs but moved my garden up north to the hunting property because the neighbor down here likes to feed the chipmunks and squirrels and they just destroy the garden .

The neighbors I know who still garden are getting up there in age with health issues so they've scaled way back and not many younger people seem to have much interest.

A few younger adults have become more interested in the garden club my wife's in this year with grocery prices rising quickly.

My wife is 65 and one of the younger people. The club is hoping the youngsters get hooked and start a generation of gardeners.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Scaling back this year, just not enough time and not sure my raised beds will make it thru another growing season…. Might convert to an in ground garden next year and just replace the perimeter boards.

Did put in some tomatoes.
Plant Grass Groundcover Flower Landscape

Planted four elderberries earlier this spring.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Two more Pear trees. These were bare root, not sure when to prune the lower growth, have to do more research.
Plant Fence Land lot Grass Terrestrial plant

The raspberries appear to be taking over!
Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Scaling back this year, just not enough time and not sure my raised beds will make it thru another growing season…. Might convert to an in ground garden next year and just replace the perimeter boards.

Did put in some tomatoes. View attachment 836131

Planted four elderberries earlier this spring.
View attachment 836133

Two more Pear trees. These were bare root, not sure when to prune the lower growth, have to do more research.
View attachment 836134

The raspberries appear to be taking over!
View attachment 836137

Just wondering, why leave the raised beds?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
A few younger adults have become more interested in the garden club my wife's in this year with grocery prices rising quickly.

My wife is 65 and one of the younger people. The club is hoping the youngsters get hooked and start a generation of gardeners.
I only have 3 friends who garden that are in their early 40s. Two of them it's a toss up whether they have a garden or not, the third has a garden every year and starts plants from seed.

I pretty much just volunteer to grow things for people if they ask since I have the space.

·
Premium Member
13,897 Posts
View attachment 835949

Got 90% of the garden planted over the last 2 weekends. Have a few more cukes and squash I'm sprouting and then some herbs to plant and then I'll be done.
My wife to know how you stake your plants on the mounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
View attachment 836134
Prune the trees as soon as you plant them but you can still prune them now.

In the future, you'll want to prune them in late winter/early spring before bud break.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
My wife to know how you stake your plants on the mounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
The only thing I plant that needs staking are tomatoes and I use tomato cages for those ( I also use them around peppers too). Typically the cages are sturdy enough but I have had to pound a piece of rebar/conduit in or tie off to the fence. Vining plants like cukes and squash get planted near a fence. It's hard to see but I have a sectioned off section of garden in there surrounded by chicken fence for the plants the animals find extra yummy like beans, peas, beets, kale, cabbage, etc - same deal I plant the climbing beans and peas near the fence.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Prune the trees as soon as you plant them but you can still prune them now.

In the future, you'll want to prune them in late winter/early spring before bud break.
Trees were bare root - planted this Spring (looked like I planted a stick in the ground). This is all new growth, that’s why I’m not sure if I should prune the lower growth this summer, or just wait until next winter…

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Trees were bare root - planted this Spring (looked like I planted a stick in the ground). This is all new growth, that’s why I’m not sure if I should prune the lower growth this summer, or just wait until next winter…
I would prune those bottom sprouts off now so the plant can devote more energy to the roots.

·
49,146 Posts
Didn’t have time this year to dig it out / tear the beds apart. We’ll see what lumber prices do in the next year. Wife would like to keep them (rebuild new).
Another member here used cinder block. Seems you'd lose some sqft but it would last.

I used landscape timbers, 3 high. They only lasted 5 years or so. Next will probably be block.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Another member here used cinder block. Seems you'd lose some sqft but it would last.

I used landscape timbers, 3 high. They only lasted 5 years or so. Next will probably be block.
Surprised the timbers didn’t last longer. I think we’re on year six or seven with regular 2x6’s. The corner posts are treated 4x4’s. Those are fine, but the termites are just about thru the boards.

·
49,146 Posts
Surprised the timbers didn’t last longer. I think we’re on year six or seven with regular 2x6’s. The corner posts are treated 4x4’s. Those are fine, but the termites are just about thru the boards.
Know what mike... I think maybe the inevitable gap between timbers allowed water and bugs to get in between and accelerate degradation. Makes sense...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Can anyone identify this worm/larva?

View attachment 836179

I've seen a couple of them while digging up sod and turning over the soil. Wasn't sure if they were bad news or beneficial.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My 7 year old finished planting his corn yesterday, he now has cauliflower, pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers, peppers, peas, both regular and sweet potatoes, and corn planted. I had to have him scale back on his watering, he was killing them with love.

He’s also been going over and helping our neighbor weed his strawberry patch. And taking care of his chicken that’s gone Broody on a dozen eggs. I sure wasn’t thinking about this kind of stuff when I was 7, but at least I know he can survive if SHTF….

101 - 120 of 756 Posts