Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 756 Posts

·
48,973 Posts
Went to a local greenhouse today and found prices up 30% from last year. Someone forgot to tell them inflation was 9%.

Got some okra, beans, tomatoes (celebrity, beefsteak, mountain fresh), and lemon basil (because it smells awesome in the garden). I think my wife got some lettuce for some reason. I have seeds for zucchini, beets, sweet peas and some giant okra.

The parking lot was PACKED and they seemed to be out of most beans and a few popular pepper varieties.

My fit bit says I took 25,000 steps today. Much of that was moving compost. Bought a pickup bed full for $27 and put it in the garden and a few spots I need to reseed grass.

·
48,973 Posts
So... forecast was 42F for a low last night. Weather sites say it is currently 41 so close enough.
THERE IS *** FROST ON MY LAWN.

we covered the new plants on the deck but my local thermometer says it got down to 34F, which makes a lot more sense with the frost.

·
Registered
481 Posts
So... forecast was 42F for a low last night. Weather sites say it is currently 41 so close enough.
THERE IS *** FROST ON MY LAWN.

we covered the new plants on the deck but my local thermometer says it got down to 34F, which makes a lot more sense with the frost.
Same thing for me this morning. I had to run out at 8 A.M. my car said it was 42 out but I had frost on the ground, thought that was kind of interesting.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Went to a local greenhouse today and found prices up 30% from last year. Someone forgot to tell them inflation was 9%.

Got some okra, beans, tomatoes (celebrity, beefsteak, mountain fresh), and lemon basil (because it smells awesome in the garden). I think my wife got some lettuce for some reason. I have seeds for zucchini, beets, sweet peas and some giant okra.

The parking lot was PACKED and they seemed to be out of most beans and a few popular pepper varieties.

My fit bit says I took 25,000 steps today. Much of that was moving compost. Bought a pickup bed full for $27 and put it in the garden and a few spots I need to reseed grass.
How do you like mountain fresh tomatoes.I planted a few last year and my causin planted 40 I couldn’t believe how good they were and perfectly round not like most big ones that look ugly.going To plant 32 .No cages and put straw under.Still plant 16 earl girls for early eating

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
How do you like mountain fresh tomatoes.I planted a few last year and my causin planted 40 I couldn’t believe how good they were and perfectly round not like most big ones that look ugly.going To plant 32 .No cages and put straw under.Still plant 16 earl girls for early eating
What do you do with so many tomatoes? We do 4 plants each year and they produce more than the 4 of us can eat. Granted, we only eat them fresh. We don’t can or freeze them.

·
48,973 Posts
Not sure yet. Got them because I thought I had read they were blight resistant. I probably didn't remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
What do you do with so many tomatoes? We do 4 plants each year and they produce more than the 4 of us can eat. Granted, we only eat them fresh. We don’t can or freeze them.
I live by myself but I got four family’s brothers and sisters that live across street and I hunt on there land and they all can plus my neighbor and causin that helps repair motors and things So I guess it’s my suck up garden plus abuot 16 zuccine,Plus friends and family.helps get me in shape for hunting.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Not sure yet. Got them because I thought I had read they were blight resistant. I probably didn't remember correctly.
What I seen on mine and causin that planted whole bunch they are detergent so plants don’t get real big so no cages just put straw around them and takes longer to get them. But I think they are super good for eating and canning pretty meaty and they get big but just as nice and smooth round as early girl.Caning friends love them to.He didn’t have any problems with blight but I had lot with my early girls but not the few mountain grease I planted

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Busy spring this year but I've managed to get peas, lettuces, potatoes and onions in the ground already. Planning on setting corn, squash,tomatoes, and beans in the ground this weekend.

In the 6 years I've lived here, never have seen white asparagus. Does it sometimes just come up white? Just got my first harvest 3 days ago, love me some fresh asparagus and steak for dinner.

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Twig Soil

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
When to 3 green house today one 16 dollar a flat of 48 tomatoes One that was 16 dollars last year is 24 dollars bad is had to buy there only place I know that sells mountain fresh.And surprise one near my house ilenox twp was 10 last year only raise to 10.50 and they are best one Mose variety of vegetetbles.Where I buy everything except have to buy mountain fresh at the highest price

61 - 80 of 756 Posts