Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
741 - 756 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I pulled everything in my garden this weekend and tilled it under. Ready to get some fall leaves on there now.
I do think I'll move my green onions and garlic chives as that area is pretty weedy.

on a dif note.... anyone else notice the lack of box elder bugs this year? I have not seen one at home or at work

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
I pulled everything in my garden this weekend and tilled it under. Ready to get some fall leaves on there now.
I do think I'll move my green onions and garlic chives as that area is pretty weedy.

on a dif note.... anyone else notice the lack of box elder bugs this year? I have not seen one at home or at work
Late last week they were here in SE Sanilac. West side of my house {real sunny} was covered in hundreds of them SOB'S. I ended up spraying around windows and doors. From what I understand they are trying to get in for the winter. What I have not seen are those dam lady bug wannabes. They usually do the same thing as it's getting cooler....:mad:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I nuke those boxelder bugs with a heavy mix of dish soap in my pump up sprayer. Just laid waste to them again last weekend. About a month ago their carcasses left the ground red along my polebarn after hitting them. I hit them every chance I get spring and fall.
We had a few 100 of the regular short/fat stinkbugs, and yesterday I killed the only boxelder bug I've seen all year.

White cabbiage butterfly larvae were pleasantly late on arrival in my garden this year. That's how we got the best broccoli harvest ever. Later they showed up and annihilated our kale and remaining broccoli.

Asparagus bugs were also missing.

I can't complain really, but it might be concerning

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Food Ingredient Natural foods Recipe Leaf vegetable

We had a few 100 of the regular short/fat stinkbugs, and yesterday I killed the only boxelder bug I've seen all year.

White cabbiage butterfly larvae were pleasantly late on arrival in my garden this year. That's how we got the best broccoli harvest ever. Later they showed up and annihilated our kale and remaining broccoli.

Asparagus bugs were also missing.

I can't complain really, but it might be concerning
The last pick, everything besides garlic and spinach. Some Swiss chard and kale still hanging on.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
My leaves and most of the neighbors all till in. Almost buttoned up and put to bed for the year. View attachment 862811
Looks good Jimbo! That's something I've not done a good job keeping up with. Adding compost and organic materials.

We've sill got spinach, swiss chard and kale growing. Not sure why the latter, neither of us like kale.
Plant Grass Groundcover Wire fencing Fence

Plant Land lot Vegetation Grass Shrub

A few carrots and celery as well.

Once these are done, I'll pull the fabric and roll them up still spring. Dump all our compost and leaves then till it all over.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

741 - 756 of 756 Posts