Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
681 - 700 of 761 Posts

· Registered
3,793 Posts
How do you store them for the winter?
My basement is pretty much a root cellar. I heat with firewood and just push air down there all winter with our furnace fan it's probably 60 degrees all winter. So we just make sure they are dry and store them in cardboard boxes and they keep fine until we are done using them. We dry the onions outside for a couple weeks, they are on our covered porch right now, then they go down there too.

· Premium Member
16,841 Posts
My basement is pretty much a root cellar. I heat with firewood and just push air down there all winter with our furnace fan it's probably 60 degrees all winter. So we just make sure they are dry and store them in cardboard boxes and they keep fine until we are done using them. We dry the onions outside for a couple weeks, they are on our covered porch right now, then they go down there too.
Man, I really wish I had a basement. Grew up with one, never knew how important they are. lol

50,858 Posts
Man, I really wish I had a basement. Grew up with one, never knew how important they are. lol
Having a basement is crazy in some other states apparently. For me it's a must. Heck a full basement is 50-100% more floor space in a 2 story or ranch home.

Having a mostly finished basement without a pole barn I'd rather have an unfinished basement though. Just for the storage. When you finish it, you really lose out on storage without it looking like just a place to throw your junk. I'd not want a basement simply to keep potatoes or onions but if mine stayed cool enough I'd take advantage of that.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
We don’t have a basement. Had one at our last house. Unfinished. When we moved we threw out a bunch of junk that was down there. That being said we don’t have enough storage now. Also the last two winters I’ve tried keeping winter squash in our insulated garage. Water doesn’t freeze but squash go bad around February. Wish we had a root cellar.

· Registered
16,442 Posts
I noticed a few of my zucchini and yellow squash beginning to struggle. I have 3 of each. After further investigation I believe 5 and possibly all of them have vine borers. Spent some time digging them out with a piece of wire and when I couldn't find them I gave the vine a good reaming. I knew one yellow squash had them as I discovered the chewings protruding from its stem before the weekend while watering, that and it was going downhill. I packed some epsom salt in the open stem then buried the bottom 4" in it, figured what will it hurt. Lol That plant set more squash and added new growth since. Couldn't find any borers in that one. Probably just coincidence.
I see people injecting BT inside the stems in online vids. I'd like to concur these things if possible but not sure I'm comfortable injecting BT. Any ideas out there?

50,858 Posts
I noticed a few of my zucchini and yellow squash beginning to struggle. I have 3 of each. After further investigation I believe 5 and possibly all of them have vine borers. Spent some time digging them out with a piece of wire and when I couldn't find them I gave the vine a good reaming. I knew one yellow squash had them as I discovered the chewings protruding from its stem before the weekend while watering that and it was going downhill. I packed some epsom salt in the open stem then buried the bottom 4" in it, figured what will it hurt. Lol That plant set more squash and added new growth since. Couldn't find any borers in that one. Probably just coincidence.
I see people injecting BT inside the stems in online vids. I'd like to concur these things if possible but not sure I'm comfortable injecting BT. Any ideas out there?
It seems kinda late for the borers but that's just been my experience. I dust for them late June/early July. If the plants make it to early August, all I have to worry about is powdery mildew.

Epsom salt is great for plants!

· Registered
16,442 Posts
Was it a late season crop or just late?

I've tried planting seeds half way through the season before and it just didn't work out very well.
Purchased or received as a gift late then left in seedling trays for an extended time. These grubs were fairly young. Slightly over a quarter of an inch long and roughly .070" in diameter. What do you use to dust your plants with and is it just preventative or will it kill established grubs?

50,858 Posts
Purchased or received as a gift late then left in seedling trays for an extended time. These grubs were fairly young. Slightly over a quarter of an inch long and roughly .070" in diameter. What do you use to dust your plants with and is it just preventative or will it kill established grubs?
It's a Bayer product I think. I dust around the vines and the soil. Seems to stay/stick for a while. I apply it preventative but I think it will kill existing? I really don't know for sure because I don't know if the dust could get to them inside the vine.

50,858 Posts
Can't believe it... I didn't do anything to the tomato plants since probably late June and they are doing very well. Disease stopped progressing. Probably because it has been so dry? Some tomatoes have cracked and have a bit of rot around the cracks but I really don't need any more except to eat fresh. Best season in a long time.
Plant Food Grass Groundcover Produce
Food Plant Rangpur Orange Fruit

50,858 Posts
Summer ending but dang the tomatoes are still amazing. Peppers too.

I was going to make poppers with a seafood twist this time but forgot when we were out getting groceries. So old standby it is. Ripe Jalapeño this time because wife agreed with me that they're the perfect sweet heat.

Took some of the leftover tomatoes and hot peppers from yesterday, along with pickle and some juice to make a surprisingly good Bloody Mary mix. She ain't for those shy of heat!

Food Plant Ingredient Fruit Natural foods

Food Ingredient Dish Cuisine Recipe

Natural foods Ingredient Terrestrial plant Produce Strawberry

681 - 700 of 761 Posts