Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
601 - 620 of 761 Posts

· Registered
1,048 Posts
View attachment 849062 Pulled the yellow onions yesterday as most of the stalks have fallen over. Red onions as still standing tall. Will give the yellows a week or so to dry then put them down in the cellar. Onions were about the only crop that was better than normal this year.
Is there any problem of leaving them in the ground if the stalks have fallen? Mine are all down now too.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
If "Chuck" comes under the fence again he's gonna be sorry...

He ate at least 10 ripe tomatoes in the last 2 days. To make it worse he didn't finish them. He would rather eat half and then move to the next.
I’ve got a chuck or two around my yard but fortunately they don’t seem to bother the garden. Garden is fenced but not well enough, keeps the deer out but I get some rabbits in to it. Wood chucks raised heck with parents non- fenced garden while I was a kid.

50,907 Posts
I’ve got a chuck or two around my yard but fortunately they don’t seem to bother the garden. Garden is fenced but not well enough, keeps the deer out but I get some rabbits in to it. Wood chucks raised heck with parents non- fenced garden while I was a kid.
My whole yard is fenced but he comes in under it. The neighbor's yard drops down about 4" from mine so I'm always filling holes along the fence.

The only reasonable way to keep chucks out of my way is to kill em.

· Registered
5,719 Posts
My whole yard is fenced but he comes in under it. The neighbor's yard drops down about 4" from mine so I'm always filling holes along the fence.

The only reasonable way to keep chucks out of my way is to kill em.
Or a good dog.UI had a German wire hair griffon she love killing them I got 3 acres surrounded by large ditch lots of brush and fields behind.I could leave her lose all day she woul never leave property or go on road.she was allowed to go in neighbors pond she would go pall time until ice.She never chase them but would go around and sneak up on them.One day me and friend sitting on patio and they saw one by ditch 70yds away.They said what’s wrong with dog she’s going other way I said watch she went around neighbors pond and snuck thrudidch ground hog didn’t know what hit him within two minutes she drop bloody mess on my friend lap.neighbors wanted two borrow her for day when they had problems she was known as the wood chuck killer they love her

· Registered
3,246 Posts
Last year I grew it for sh**s and grins. Planted more this year.
We're getting quite a few okra for no taller the plants. Been an odd year for okra. Took forever to break a foot tall. Some of the very lately placed are over 4' - 5', whereas the plants I started from seed are only 2-3'. But all are producing good pods. I hope they keep flowering and producing through September.

We did gumbo last week and a couple of fish and fried okra meals. Absolutely delicious!

50,907 Posts
We're getting quite a few okra for no taller the plants. Been an odd year for okra. Took forever to break a foot tall. Some of the very lately placed are over 4' - 5', whereas the plants I started from seed are only 2-3'. But all are producing good pods. I hope they keep flowering and producing through September.

We did gumbo last week and a couple of fish and fried okra meals. Absolutely delicious!
My Okra plants last year were about 6' tall when I chopped them down. This year they're much shorter but more... "bushy" and stocky. Thing is, I planted 9 and only 3 are decent size. The others are still tiny, as in maybe 10-15" tall.

· Registered
3,246 Posts

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Check these out. It's called "Kellogs Breakfast." Never heard of them until watching some YouTube tomato videos last winter. Decided to try them. Great taste and very smooth and meaty. I will make room for these going forward. Anyone else grow these?
View attachment 850210

View attachment 850211
The Kellog forest is across the street from me. Any chance this is a variety for this area?
Hoping:)
The blight got me super bad this year - first time I've seen it.

· Registered
7,307 Posts
The Kellog forest is across the street from me. Any chance this is a variety for this area?
Hoping:)
The blight got me super bad this year - first time I've seen it.
From Google.

Kellogg's Breakfast Tomato is an heirloom, open-pollinated tomato variety that originated in West Virginia and was later given its name by a gardener in Michigan. It was given the name “breakfast tomato” due to the bright orange color of the delicious flesh and juice.Aug 21, 2021

601 - 620 of 761 Posts