Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
My MIL was at a local greenhouse yesterday and noted a single tomato plant (qt size) was $4.99. Thats outrageous!
Found I have better luck buying the little ones what 4 or 6 in container The owner of nursery told me years
In the future, you guys should consider growing your own. An awful lot of advantages over buying whatever a store or nursery has available. One pack of seeds will last a couple of years. Doesn't take much space. Just a cheap little grow light will do.
This video is the method I use. It is awesome. Super root system.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
More okra. Grew it for the first time last year. Grew fantastic and very productive. Great tasting when broiled with olive oil, salt, pepper.

Less hot peppers. Made enough sauce last year for a few years worth of scorched toilet bowls. Maybe grow 1 super hot, a couple habanero and 4-6 giant Jalapeño (for poppers).

No more giant sunflowers. Those 12-15 footers blocked out the sun lol.

More beans and a mouse/rabbit extermination plan.
Okra is something I used to grow when I lived north of Pentwater from started plants. It is really a nice addition to a Prudhomme gumbo recipe.

If you want a good hot pepper; good as in hotter than a jalapenos, but not ghost pepper hot, try fresno peppers. They are not as thick walled as jalapeno peppers, but have a smokier taste when used in curries, and in white chicken chili with anchos. Roughly 90 days to maturity. We are litterally surrounded by five fox dens within 3/8s of a mile, really knocked the rabbits back.

I made a hot mango chutney using the dried seeds from Fresno peppers. Great on sharptail grouse slow grilled via indirect heat. Good with smoked pork as well.

·
44,160 Posts
Found I have better luck buying the little ones what 4 or 6 in container The owner of nursery told me years ago people allways want big plants but best planting little ones maybe 6inch tall something about root bound.Last year I could not resist and bough couple three times bigger than all my other ones.The little ones ended up lot bigger and better.just try it with a couple I think you will be surprized
Ya. I was just shocked by the jump in price. She said they didn't have the 4 packs like usual (yet anyway). I bet those will be double price too.

·
44,160 Posts
In the future, you guys should consider growing your own. An awful lot of advantages over buying whatever a store or nursery has available. One pack of seeds will last a couple of years. Doesn't take much space. Just a cheap little grow light will do.
This video is the method I use. It is awesome. Super root system.
Usually have but didn't bother this year. Only started peppers. Still have tomato seeds from last year but it's kind of late to start them now.

·
44,160 Posts
Okra is something I used to grow when I lived north of Pentwater from started plants. It is really a nice addition to a Prudhomme gumbo recipe.

If you want a good hot pepper; good as in hotter than a jalapenos, but not ghost pepper hot, try fresno peppers. They are not as thick walled as jalapeno peppers, but have a smokier taste when used in curries, and in white chicken chili with anchos. Roughly 90 days to maturity. We are litterally surrounded by five fox dens within 3/8s of a mile, really knocked the rabbits back.

I made a hot mango chutney using the dried seeds from Fresno peppers. Great on sharptail grouse slow grilled via indirect heat. Good with smoked pork as well.
Yep I have grown Fresno in the past. I liked them pickled and they're good in sauce as well.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Usually have but didn't bother this year. Only started peppers. Still have tomato seeds from last year but it's kind of late to start them now.
I started peppers for the first time ever. They look good, just small. Probably should have given them a couple week head start on the tomatoes. Just two varieties. Poblanos and jalapeño. I'll likely buy some sweet pepper plants.
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

·
44,160 Posts
I started peppers for the first time ever. They look good, just small. Probably should have given them a couple week head start on the tomatoes. Just two varieties. Poblanos and jalapeño. I'll likely buy some sweet pepper plants.
View attachment 829500
Yes peppers grow significantly slower than tomato. I'd give em 3 weeks head start. Those peppers will be fine though.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Replaced one cherry tree that didnt make it last year. Put in 5 new Apple varieties. A couple hazelnuts and juneberries. Still got 4 peach trees to go.

Saw Sackett's were out planting their potato fields. So I guess I will go up to the feed store and get some potatoes and onion sets and get them in. Will try getting some sugar snap peas in the ground this week also.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
View attachment 830264

Italian Canner seedlings are a little spindly yet but should be ready to go outside soon.
I finally got around to preparing our irrigation system of old downspouts. The ghetto-tastic upcycle of our old downspouts will provide a easy peasy way to drop a hose in and water the root systems for a couple rows of plants.

View attachment 830260

The orange paint marks where to put plants that line up with corresponding drainage holes.
Good idea

41 - 60 of 86 Posts