Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
541 - 560 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The good sister...
My sister came over today to hang out with my wife and her girl friend and lounge in the pool.
I took off and went shooting.
My sister noticed I had a lot of weed in my garden. So she weeded it.
Dang ! It looks nice.
Since the deer took my beans twice, I kind of said screw it.
Love my baby sister

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Better give that sister lots of veggys wish mine would do that

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Food Plant Plum tomato Fruit Ingredient

Sooo nice to have good quality tomatoes. Love this time of year and all the great produce. My first time trying to make zucchini bread. Seems to be a success.
Food Ingredient Tin Staple food Cuisine

Okra is coming along slowly now with the cooler weather. Getting only a handful weekly. Beans came and went, not flowering, but we're done. Gave away about 20# friends and neighbors.

Contemplating building a greenhouse. At least getting it framed and ready for spring. Something diy, not interested in the $3-5k + nkits, they all appear to be junk.

Fence rail bender mentioned earlier in this thread may be my path. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
View attachment 847821
Sooo nice to have good quality tomatoes. Love this time of year and all the great produce. My first time trying to make zucchini bread. Seems to be a success.
View attachment 847822
Okra is coming along slowly now with the cooler weather. Getting only a handful weekly. Beans came and went, not flowering, but we're done. Gave away about 20# friends and neighbors.

Contemplating building a greenhouse. At least getting it framed and ready for spring. Something diy, not interested in the $3-5k + nkits, they all appear to be junk.

Fence rail bender mentioned earlier in this thread may be my path. We'll see.
nothing like homegrown tomatoes I’ve been getting just enough for eating they are smaller but real good only thing is skins little tougher.But my plants one third size they should be all people I give to are going to have to be happy to get eating tomatoes no canning

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It's Jalapeño stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar, then wrap with bacon.

I think next time I might try filling them with a crab stuffing and top off with a shrimp.
There's a reason why you never see the cooked and ready pictures. Lol, I am going to order some of those for next season. Thanks for the tip! I did a batch of chili rellenos a couple of weeks ago. Not a picture exists.

·
47,723 Posts
There's a reason why you never see the cooked and ready pictures. Lol, I am going to order some of those for next season. Thanks for the tip! I did a batch of chili rellenos a couple of weeks ago. Not a picture exists.
I forgot the after pic. We have leftovers but they never look as good as fresh out of the oven.

I always dislike ordering from burpee simply because the cost is kinda crazy relative to other sources but I can't get these anywhere else. They're worth it to me. Tried plain ol Jalapeño and other varieties you can get at stores, but for my garden, the big guy hybrid has been the best growing and quality producer of all of them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I learn something every year. Since retiring, I now have more time to figure out what I've been doing wrong. I also have a different fight with something. Ground hogs, deer, cabbage worms and so on. This year it's been slugs. I put a lot of straw down for mulch but I thing I gave the slugs a place to live. My garden has done fairly well this year despite the slugs. We gave been canning a lot and will be putting up salsa pretty soon. I'm taking a break to hit the big lake and catch a few salmon. I was wondering what you plan on doing different heat year. I will be looking at a different way to try and keep the slugs away.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I forgot the after pic. We have leftovers but they never look as good as fresh out of the oven.

I always dislike ordering from burpee simply because the cost is kinda crazy relative to other sources but I can't get these anywhere else. They're worth it to me. Tried plain ol Jalapeño and other varieties you can get at stores, but for my garden, the big guy hybrid has been the best growing and quality producer of all of them.
Have you ever tried Mucho Nacho? I grew them this year and they did excellent. I believe i bought the seed from Jung's.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
So I learn something every year. Since retiring, I now have more time to figure out what I've been doing wrong. I also have a different fight with something. Ground hogs, deer, cabbage worms and so on. This year it's been slugs. I put a lot of straw down for mulch but I thing I gave the slugs a place to live. My garden has done fairly well this year despite the slugs. We gave been canning a lot and will be putting up salsa pretty soon. I'm taking a break to hit the big lake and catch a few salmon. I was wondering what you plan on doing different heat year. I will be looking at a different way to try and keep the slugs away.
Plant Tree Paint Art Drink

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's a slug year here in Kalamazoo area too!

We planted garden flowers this year in addition to our normal tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, root vegies, greens, and beans. To our surprise the slugs went crazy on our Dahlias!

I remember my mom using the word Sluggo a lot around the garden of my childhood. Mr. Bill was also a popular Saturday Night Live sketch at that time. I remember her carrying around what looked like a cereal box with the most menacing drawing of a snail on the cover.

She sprinkled the bits around and say, "Oh no, it's Sluggo!!!"

We applied some around our Dahlias and now they're growing back.

But, it's terrible expensive now! I can't imagine it was more than $1.50 a box back then. My mom's upper limmit on anything to buy was $5. Now a box is $17. The rather small canister is $12!

It does work well tho, and it's safe around pets.

Beer works also, but I can't seem to keep any;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Went through about 4 containers this year. It works but they kept coming back. I put out beer and was getting at least 5 slugs per bowl. And they kept coming. I go every morning and pull at least 5 slugs off the plants. They were so bad that they were embedded into my cabbage plants. Called my uncle and he said get rid of the straw. I'm not sure if that is the answer but I will be looking for a better way to manage weeds and slugs for next year.
I have been looking at landscape cloth and a good killing of the weeds first thing this spring. I hear if you put blackberry thorns around the garden it will help keep the slugs out. I got a lot of berries so might give that a try.
This season is finishing up so I will be turning my attention to meat in the freezer. Has anyone tried eating slugs?

·
47,723 Posts
Went through about 4 containers this year. It works but they kept coming back. I put out beer and was getting at least 5 slugs per bowl. And they kept coming. I go every morning and pull at least 5 slugs off the plants. They were so bad that they were embedded into my cabbage plants. Called my uncle and he said get rid of the straw. I'm not sure if that is the answer but I will be looking for a better way to manage weeds and slugs for next year.
I have been looking at landscape cloth and a good killing of the weeds first thing this spring. I hear if you put blackberry thorns around the garden it will help keep the slugs out. I got a lot of berries so might give that a try.
This season is finishing up so I will be turning my attention to meat in the freezer. Has anyone tried eating slugs?
Little salt to cure them. Dehydrate and eat like wrinkly peanuts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Supposedly slugs & snails won't crawl over copper stripping. Their blood is copper based so maybe true. I've heard of people making mini fences around planters.

·
Registered
16,242 Posts
Thinking about moving wires to open up the half containing watermelon and butternut squash. These things are putting it on and I've been cutting off leaves and the end of vines trying to keep em away from the fence. Afraid I'm leaving the plants open to pest and disease.
Plant Plant community Agriculture Leaf vegetable Groundcover

3 zuke plants are ready to open the floodgates.
Plant Flower Leaf vegetable Groundcover Grass

Potatoes look good. Gave them a good deep watering the last two evenings. Russets, red potatoes and Yukon gold. Missing around 10' off the end of each row where I cut larger seed potatoes. Let them skin for 4 days, but it didn't matter, white grubs got to them before sprouts could get underway. Perhaps not cutting in the future or using the sulfur dust would be good practice.
Plant Plant community Grass Shrub Groundcover

Yellow squash has been and continue to produce a ton of squash. The wife has been cutting them and gifted zucchini into chips, blanching, then flash freezing on wax paper over baking pans before packing them in freezer bags. Peppers are beginning to produce but still look weak.
Tomatoes are getting blight. Have a few volunteers growing in the watermelon beginning to blossom. One right there above a melon. Last year I had volunteers that came up late, grew fast but did not ripen before frost. We'll see. Happy with what we have considering a garden wasn't in the plans this season.
Plant Evergreen Groundcover Flowering plant Shrub

541 - 560 of 732 Posts