Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
501 - 520 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I didn't think mountain fresh was supposed to get any bigger than baseball size?
I don’t know I planted 12 two years ago and they were mostly size of softball and perfect round like softball really good for eating but canners making sauce said had to boil down a lot.for eating best ones I ever had.My causin said there real good for making juice.Michigan garner said if it real hot and dry tomatoes tend to get ripe smaller.The small ones I’ve been getting are good eating.but one out of five have blossom end rot or sun scaled

·
47,805 Posts
I don’t know I planted 12 two years ago and they were mostly size of softball and perfect round like softball really good for eating but canners making sauce said had to boil down a lot.for eating best ones I ever had.My causin said there real good for making juice.Michigan garner said if it real hot and dry tomatoes tend to get ripe smaller.The small ones I’ve been getting are good eating.but one out of five have blossom end rot or sun scaled
Mine are a little smaller than baseball size, if they really are mountain fresh. They're the right shape.

Got a random sampling today. Pickles, zucchini, Jalapeño, sweet pepper, Okra, tomato... and an unfortunate swallowtail that got into a bucket with rainwater.

Pollinator Insect Butterfly Arthropod Moths and butterflies

Food Plant Dishware Fruit Ingredient

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Sprinkler or shallow well pump I'm guessing? My pond is mere feet from my garden, but I have to use 150' of extention cord to power it.

30amp cords 100' aren't cheap.
I use an old sump pump I have had for years. Used to use it for an old duck pond.

I have power out by the dock, so that helps. Gotta put in another power access for where I want to put the big fountain. Them sumbitches are $$$$.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Mine are a little smaller than baseball size, if they really are mountain fresh. They're the right shape.

Got a random sampling today. Pickles, zucchini, Jalapeño, sweet pepper, Okra, tomato... and an unfortunate swallowtail that got into a bucket with rainwater.

View attachment 846431
View attachment 846430

View attachment 846431
View attachment 846430
I just look up mountain fresh on tablet said large tomatoe three and half inch’s and 10 ounces know my causin next to me planted 60 last year most were big maybe ours aren’t mountain but I think the weather is reason,they say when real hot and dry they ripen lot smaller but I’ve been eating them and they taste real good.I do notice skin is little tofer

·
47,805 Posts
I just look up mountain fresh on tablet said large tomatoe three and half inch’s and 10 ounces know my causin next to me planted 60 last year most were big maybe ours aren’t mountain but I think the weather is reason,they say when real hot and dry they ripen lot smaller but I’ve been eating them and they taste real good.I do notice skin is little tofer
I had what I think is beefsteak today, sliced with a little salt... delicious!!!

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Can’t do nothing about rain.But I don’t like to get them wet that’s why when it allways real humid you have better chance of getting blight and other desease
Agree. I base water too. Soaker hoses would be best, but they get expensive fast. I just mound up the dirt around where I did the hole for the plant. Usually about a foot diameter so I can fill those with the house with no nozzle on it. Doesn’t take long and then it soaks in as I’m moving on. Best way I’ve found so far. Eventually I’ll have soaked hoses on a water timer. Drip irrigation even better.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Finally got to get out and pick. I made @sfw1960 pickle brine a couple days ago anticipating the harvest. I got 16qts of dill garlic and a couple QTs and PTs of bread and butter done last night. Have almost 2 gallons of brine left for more. I did some just dill and garlic, a couple with jalapeños (only had a couple ready), and a couple with some Cajun seasoning in it (why not?). We’re to the point of picking every other day or so now. She’s loaded, just gotta keep up on what’s ripe. The first watermelon was amazing and didn’t last the night. When the tomatoes start popping we’re gonna be swimming in them. Had to prop up the cages with rods they are so loaded. The pics where before it was all sorted out. Finally took some pictures.

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Land lot
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Tree

Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Land lot

Food Summer squash Plant Cucurbita Natural foods

Plant Active tank Sky People in nature Shorts

Food Food storage Plant Food storage containers Pickling

Tableware Drinkware Fluid Gas Drink

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Finally got to get out and pick. I made @sfw1960 pickle brine a couple days ago anticipating the harvest. I got 16qts of dill garlic and a couple QTs and PTs of bread and butter done last night. Have almost 2 gallons of brine left for more. I did some just dill and garlic, a couple with jalapeños (only had a couple ready), and a couple with some Cajun seasoning in it (why not?). We’re to the point of picking every other day or so now. She’s loaded, just gotta keep up on what’s ripe. The first watermelon was amazing and didn’t last the night. When the tomatoes start popping we’re gonna be swimming in them. Had to prop up the cages with rods they are so loaded. The pics where before it was all sorted out. Finally took some pictures.

View attachment 846575 View attachment 846576
View attachment 846577
View attachment 846578
View attachment 846579
View attachment 846580
View attachment 846581
Every thing looks great

·
47,805 Posts

View attachment 846575 View attachment 846576
View attachment 846577
View attachment 846578
View attachment 846579
View attachment 846580
View attachment 846581
You may have made the brine but thou shalt not slice the pickles with his recipe.

My recipe is very similar to his but when I slice them to spears they get a bit too salty, and I like salt. If you don't mind, let us know how they turn out for you.

My whole pickles in his recipe are still in a waiting period. I think I will break into them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
You may have made the brine but thou shalt not slice the pickles with his recipe.

My recipe is very similar to his but when I slice them to spears they get a bit too salty, and I like salt. If you don't mind, let us know how they turn out for you.

My whole pickles in his recipe are still in a waiting period. I think I will break into them this weekend.
Damn. I never do whole pickles. Lol

·
Registered
487 Posts
Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass Grass family
Plant Plant community Leaf Terrestrial plant Vegetation

The little masked bandits got me again! Its been a few years since the last time they got me. At least they left me 15 ears. Hope they've had their fill and leave my late crop alone when its ready in about 15 - 20 days. Between the deer, raccoons and blossom end rot it's turning out to be a less than bountiful harvest 😡

501 - 520 of 739 Posts