Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
481 - 500 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I haven't had a single bug in the garden yet. I attribute this to diatomaceous earth and chickens. But the chickens don't ever really go into the garden, so IDK.

Isn't garlic really hard on your soil? Like you want to grow it by itself kinda thing?
This is our 1st time doing garlic in our garden, so I don't know. We had a patch of wild garlic very small cloves, but it grew prolific and produced tons and was really pungent. These this year are elephant and much milder. We're going to wait until they're fully cured to try.

What impact on the soil?

·
Registered
488 Posts
This is our 1st time doing garlic in our garden, so I don't know. We had a patch of wild garlic very small cloves, but it grew prolific and produced tons and was really pungent. These this year are elephant and much milder. We're going to wait until they're fully cured to try.

What impact on the soil?
Did you try cooking up some of the garlic scapes? Not bad cooked with a little olive and salt. I prefer butter. And when did you plant your garlic cloves. I usually plant mine the last week of August to the second week in September. I missed the fall plant a couple years ago and planted in the spring. The bulbs didnt develop very well (small) and pretty weak flavored.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Did you try cooking up some of the garlic scapes? Not bad cooked with a little olive and salt. I prefer butter. And when did you plant your garlic cloves. I usually plant mine the last week of August to the second week in September. I missed the fall plant a couple years ago and planted in the spring. The bulbs didnt develop very well (small) and pretty weak flavored.
Yes, we do all the greens; scape, brocolli rape, chard and spinach. We pushed those cloves in around Sept 1st. They we in long enough to sprout before the cold. We overwinter spinach as well.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice! At least you are able to can beans. Friggin deer took care of mine. Only able to pick enough for a fresh meal. But in the end they taste a little better when I put a couple of them in freezer come deer season.
Not sure where your located but you are welcome to some. We have plants that haven't begun yet and we are almost done canning. Hooking Ralph up next!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I haven't had a single bug in the garden yet. I attribute this to diatomaceous earth and chickens. But the chickens don't ever really go into the garden, so IDK.

Isn't garlic really hard on your soil? Like you want to grow it by itself kinda thing?
Didn't know that. I planted cabbage the last couple years in the same bed after the garlic was pulled and grew some really nice, round heads that wife turned into cabbage rolls. I'm just an amateur, but Brewster grows a huge crop of garlic, and perhaps he could shed some light for us.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not sure where your located but you are welcome to some. We have plants that haven't begun yet and we are almost done canning. Hooking Ralph up next!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind offer. Still have some frozen beans left from last year, about a dozen bags, along with the sweetcorn, potatos, carrots, tomatos and red beets that will be put up this year we will be good. It's just a little frustrating going thru all the work of planting, watering and weeding for one meal. But as you know, it can be pretty enjoyable when you get results like yours.(y)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Harvested our shallots today, gonna try and pickle some this weekend. View attachment 846060 View attachment 846061
Beautiful shallot harvest, we grew some last year. We also did the Opalka last year. A good salsa or sauce tomato. This year we've got celebrity, roma and OP.

Just came out of the garden, back had enough for the day.
Food Plant Basket Storage basket Ingredient

Food Bean Ingredient Legume family Natural foods

Poblano, Anaheim and jalapeno are gorgeous and smell wonderful. I see a batch of chili rellenos and maybe some poppers.

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts

What impact on the soil?
Didn't know that. I planted cabbage the last couple years in the same bed after the garlic was pulled and grew some really nice, round heads that wife turned into cabbage rolls. I'm just an amateur, but Brewster grows a huge crop of garlic, and perhaps he could shed some light for us.
I could be completely off on that. I haven't looked into it, but my Wife was told that from someone. She was told she was better off growing them in pots. But I have no idea how true it is. I do want to grow some garlic next year.

It would be cool if you could do them in a pot like potatoes where you just keep burying the sprouts and then have a pot full of garlic. Lol

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It doesn't take a lot of space to grow a few bulbs. I built a small planter out of scrap 4×4's from an old deck. It measured 2'x 5' when completed. I took it over to my fil's place and filled it with dirt. I think he managed to grow 17 bulbs in it and it was isolated from the rest of his garden.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts

We grew between 13,000- 20,0000 heads for several years: only about 3,000 this year. We moved the beds each year on a 3-year rotation and our soil tests never displayed much of a change in soil tests.

I grew buckwheat and then a rye/clover mix on the fallow years for the beds.

We used a foliar fertilizer when my wife wanted to fertilize.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Finaly got good rain last night over two inch’s sure did soak in normally would have puddles in yard for couple days none this morning that’s how. Dry it’s been.Hope it helps garden.my zuccines just about stopped producing and early girl tomatoes are one third the size plants should be but loaded with 20 to 30 tomatoes but getting ripe lots smaller same with mountain fresh should get ripe size of softball there loaded but getting ripe at 2 inch’s and some blossom end rot and sun scaled from heat and lack of leaf cover.Maybe this rain will help but think it’s two late

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
Finaly got good rain last night over two inch’s sure did soak in normally would have puddles in yard for couple days none this morning that’s how. Dry it’s been.Hope it helps garden.my zuccines just about stopped producing and early girl tomatoes are one third the size plants should be but loaded with 20 to 30 tomatoes but getting ripe lots smaller same with mountain fresh should get ripe size of softball there loaded but getting ripe at 2 inch’s and some blossom end rot and sun scaled from heat and lack of leaf cover.Maybe this rain will help but think it’s two late
I have been watering nearly every night, at least when we’re home. It had helped tremendously. Probably would have all died if I hadn’t.

I water out of the pond with a pump. I’d need 400ft of hose to reach from the barn.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I have been watering nearly every night, at least when we’re home. It had helped tremendously. Probably would have all died if I hadn’t.

I water out of the pond with a pump. I’d need 400ft of hose to reach from the barn.
I tried watering every 3 days but it take 2hours to hold nozzle at base of plants for one minute and that’s not enough and it kills me standing that long next year I will have soaker hoses and lot smaller garden

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
First few ears are finally good to go.

View attachment 846107

A corn dog. sorry, I had to.
I tried watering every 3 days but it take 2hours to hold nozzle at base of plants for one minute and that’s not enough and it kills me standing that long next year I will have soaker hoses and lot smaller garden

Drip tape is easy to install, reusable and gets the water fight to the plants with very little waste.

We use drip tape on 6" and 2' spacing between emitters depending on what types of plants were watering.

I use water out of our pond most of the time.

·
49,074 Posts
I didn't think mountain fresh was supposed to get any bigger than baseball size?

481 - 500 of 756 Posts