Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
461 - 480 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check near the base and see how the main stem looks - you might have a borer or split vine. If thats the case, I've had some luck mounding dirt over the vine until the next leaf union.

Good to know. Have the same problem on my butternut vines.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Good to know. Have the same problem on my butternut vines.
I just did this a couple weeks ago on a spaghetti squash - the vine flopped over in the wind and created a noticeable crease in the main vine and the plant seemed to be struggling. I flipped it back to its natural position and mounded dirt over the vine - looked much better last week when I checked.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Check near the base and see how the main stem looks - you might have a borer or split vine. If that's the case, I've had some luck mounding dirt over the vine until the next leaf union.

Thanks! After looking closely at the plant I found a few splits in it, I think they’re from my son trying to move the vines away from his zucchini plants.

I mounded some dirt over them so we’ll see what happens.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Started planting garden when 54 so been planting 22years and this is absolutely worst I had.haven’t had inch of rain in month haven’t cut grass in almost month try to water but would take two hours need to hold long nozzle buy each plant for minute and got 120 plants.my early girls are one third size should be but all have 20 to 25 tomatoes but getting ripe when they look like cherry tomatoes think maybe nersury screw me but then plants should be real big.Mountain fresh are loaded but same thing getting ripe. When little smaller than baseball should be size of softball or bigger.only thing half decent is zuccines pickles and beans.pepper are good normal.anyone else having problems

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Started planting garden when 54 so been planting 22years and this is absolutely worst I had.haven’t had inch of rain in month haven’t cut grass in almost month try to water but would take two hours need to hold long nozzle buy each plant for minute and got 120 plants.my early girls are one third size should be but all have 20 to 25 tomatoes but getting ripe when they look like cherry tomatoes think maybe nersury screw me but then plants should be real big.Mountain fresh are loaded but same thing getting ripe. When little smaller than baseball should be size of softball or bigger.only thing half decent is zuccines pickles and beans.pepper are good normal.anyone else having problems
My tomatoes look like **** for the most part this year too. I'd love to blame it on the nursery, but I started them from seed. Must be the weather, ;).

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
My tomato plants are growing nicely but other than that one Cherokee purple I picked, all the other fruits are behind in size. I'm pretty sure they've been getting water fairly regularly. I'll know more next weekend.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
My tomatoes look like **** for the most part this year too. I'd love to blame it on the nursery, but I started them from seed. Must be the weather, ;).
Ya think it weather my garden use to get to wet if we got couple inch’s of rain I couldn’t walk in it for week.So two years ago I moved it up about 50ft on to higher ground now it dries real fast.In may after I started planting got 3inchs of rain.I could walk in it next day and not get mud on my shoes.Takes two hours to water and dry next day.guess I will move back next year and make lot smaller just to big for me.evan in other spot where it got to wet allways had good garden some tomatoes are getting sun scaled to

·
46,397 Posts
Just starting a Chinese style fermentation of the cucumbers.

The glass fermentation jar has a smart design that uses water to create an air lock yet allows for gasses to escape.

View attachment 845940

Should be fun to experiment with. This batch uses garlic, star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and other spices.
Just don't let it dry out

·
Registered
473 Posts
5 gal bags of cleaned and trimmed beans for round 2 of canning. My back is spent!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Nice! At least you are able to can beans. Friggin deer took care of mine. Only able to pick enough for a fresh meal. But in the end they taste a little better when I put a couple of them in freezer come deer season.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Membranophone Musical instrument Public address system Drum Musician

Food Plant Ingredient Tableware Wood

Spent a couple of days at blues festival last weekend. Come home to a submarine of a zuk.

Tomatoes are push 7' tall, blight is starting slowly now. Loaded up with fruit, capalka,, roma and celebrity.

Egg plant are the best we've ever grown. Beans are prolific, getting 4-6#/week.

Okra is finally producing. We've picked 4 in the last two days, likely will be picking 6-8 per day by next week.

Brocolli is STILL pushing out tight 2nd grow after all the huge heads it produced. Crazy amounts. We've given away twice as much as we've ever produced.

I attribute that to having no cabbiage butterflies around until later this year. We'd already picked the initial heads by the time they arrived. Japanese beatles were slow on the scene this year too. They like to stage on the beans and tear them up quickly while mating. I hand pick and rip they're little heads off. Makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
Our garden is going crazy, except the beans and peppers. I had only my pea plants die, like didn't even start growing. They just died as soon as they were planted. My beans are starting to take off, but I don't think I'll be getting pounds. We will plant more next year. The melons, pumpkins, squash, zukes, pickles and tomatoes are going insane. Broccoli is doing very well along with the cabbage, brussels and egg plants are lagging a bit, but I always have the best luck with brussels as the weather cools anyway. I need to make some brine for pickles soon, probably tomorrow while it storms. I will have a ton here soon, we have been getting some steady, but they are exploding. I just don't want to pick them until I have the brine ready.

461 - 480 of 528 Posts