Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Ordered some elderberries and two more pear trees. Read that Bartlett pears need a pollinator, we weren’t aware of that when we planted. We do have a wild pear, but we don’t think it’s the right type…

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Ordered some elderberries and two more pear trees. Read that Bartlett pears need a pollinator, we weren’t aware of that when we planted. We do have a wild pear, but we don’t think it’s the right type…
There's a few more pollination charts online if you're looking for compatible pear trees.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation on a good tender pole type green bean? I’ve always plant bush type green beans. But I don’t care to bend over that long to pick them anymore.
I did try Kentucky wonders once. Thought they were tough and stringy

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Blue Lakes are tough to beat in my opinion. Some of the seed catalog B.S. claims that others may be better producers, but a 20 ft. row of Blue Lakes will still produce a $#@! ton of green beans. Make sure you get the pole variety, because Blue lake's are available in bush form too.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I built a new greenhouse this spring. We normally would have squash and zucchini growing in one by now but I got it up a little later than planned.

View attachment 826953
View attachment 826952
I'll bite! Tell us more.. dimensions, materials, cost. Is that just bent conduit? Looks good as a hoop. The kits that size they are pushing are 3k and aren't worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll bite! Tell us more.. dimensions, materials, cost. Is that just bent conduit? Looks good as a hoop. The kits that size they are pushing are 3k and aren't worth it.
Johnnys seeds 12' hoop bender.
1 3/8" chain link fence top rail (2 per hoop)
The plastic and wiggle wire/channel came from bootstrap farmer

This hoophouse is 12' x 20' with an 8' peak. Total cost was $1400. I built a 12' x 65' for around $900 six years ago so prices have rose dramatically.

High Tunnel Hoop Bender – 12' - Quick Hoops™ | Johnny's Selected Seeds

At the bottom of this web page are the instructions I have used.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Blue Lakes are tough to beat in my opinion. Some of the seed catalog B.S. claims that others may be better producers, but a 20 ft. row of Blue Lakes will still produce a $#@! ton of green beans. Make sure you get the pole variety, because Blue lake's are available in bush form too.
Thanks, didn’t know they had a pole bean too. I’ve plant their blue lake 274 for years

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sweet peppers, multiple superhot varieties, maters, dill, basil, sorrell, and usually something different I find (1 plant to expierment)
I make fermented hot sauce for myself and friends and family.

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
My MIL was at a local greenhouse yesterday and noted a single tomato plant (qt size) was $4.99. Thats outrageous!
Found I have better luck buying the little ones what 4 or 6 in container The owner of nursery told me years ago people allways want big plants but best planting little ones maybe 6inch tall something about root bound.Last year I could not resist and bough couple three times bigger than all my other ones.The little ones ended up lot bigger and better.just try it with a couple I think you will be surprized

21 - 40 of 86 Posts