Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
341 - 360 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,668 Posts
You can put it in the soil on transplanting or you can mix it in a spray bottle and apply to the leaves or a watering can once in a while. I use it like I would a soluble fertilizer.
That’s what I was thinking was dissolve it in water. Didn’t know if you water with it or spray the plant. My Dad just sprinkled some in the garden and said it made a difference.

Anyone ever use diatomaceous earth for keeping bugs out? We bought some but haven’t applied it yet. My wife doesn’t like the idea of chemicals in the garden.

·
48,874 Posts
That’s what I was thinking was dissolve it in water. Didn’t know if you water with it or spray the plant. My Dad just sprinkled some in the garden and said it made a difference.

Anyone ever use diatomaceous earth for keeping bugs out? We bought some but haven’t applied it yet. My wife doesn’t like the idea of chemicals in the garden.
Plants can soak it up through the leaves so it's good that way. And of course any rain is going to put it right down to the soil and roots.

It doesn't really matter how it's applied. It's just that dissolving in water is the quickest way to get it into the plant. Not depending on a rain to do it.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
A month ago I told friends my garden growing the best it ever has now looks like it will be worst.Hardly in rain .zuccine started great now hardly any tomatoes are loaded but early girls are only 4ft but should be 6ft one twice as wide.plus lots yellow leaves .I blame it on heat and lack of rain.people around me haven’t had to cut grass in almost 3weeks all yellow.Maybe if we get more rain it will help so many times seems rain is little north or south of me

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
My zucchini production is lower than I could have ever imagined possible.
Mine started great after I started get some male flowers I was up to 60 picked last two weeks only about ten but now most flowers are males they say because of heat and dry.Are your tomatoe plants smaller my are but they are loaded with small tomatoes peppers just starting.

·
48,874 Posts
Mine started great after I started get some male flowers I was up to 60 picked last two weeks only about ten but now most flowers are males they say because of heat and dry.Are your tomatoe plants smaller my are but they are loaded with small tomatoes peppers just starting.
Mine just look like crap. Been able to keep the powdery mildew from completely killing them but it's still hurting the plant.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How many of you take advantage of summer starts for a fall harvest? I am planting spinach, sweet peas, beans and carrots. My spinach didn't do as well as I expected during the spring so I am going for a fall crop. I usually have a ton of sugar snaps but they are not producing. I always plant beans throughout the year. We like to harvest for supper during the summer and I put them up in the fall.
We have had very little rain so I have been doing a lot of watering. I think the extreme heat so early in the season has taken a toll on a lot of my garden. Some plants are thriving and some are struggling.
If we could figure out how to make vegetables grow like weeds we would all be over run with veggies!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Mine just look like crap. Been able to keep the powdery mildew from completely killing them but it's still hurting the plant.
It is frustrating put all the work in think it going be great and than in couple weeks go to hell maybe we will luck out and be posting about how everything came back good.I know you garden looked great in earlier post I was getting jealous

·
48,874 Posts
It is frustrating put all the work in think it going be great and than in couple weeks go to hell maybe we will luck out and be posting about how everything came back good.I know you garden looked great in earlier post I was getting jealous
It's just the mid summer crap that always gets me. First things to die are yellow squash, pickles and then zucchini. Around that time, blight starts to show up.

·
48,874 Posts
How many of you take advantage of summer starts for a fall harvest? I am planting spinach, sweet peas, beans and carrots. My spinach didn't do as well as I expected during the spring so I am going for a fall crop. I usually have a ton of sugar snaps but they are not producing. I always plant beans throughout the year. We like to harvest for supper during the summer and I put them up in the fall.
We have had very little rain so I have been doing a lot of watering. I think the extreme heat so early in the season has taken a toll on a lot of my garden. Some plants are thriving and some are struggling.
If we could figure out how to make vegetables grow like weeds we would all be over run with veggies!
I have planted a few cooler season veggies in the past. Might be a good time to plant more green beans.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts

Diatomaceous earth is not a chemical.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
My zucchini production is lower than I could have ever imagined possible.
My zucchini and green beans are great. Everything else...doesn't look good to me. My corn is a failure, which almost never happens. Rabbits started that and the deer are finishing it off. Deer ate a cuke vine right off the trellis. I have never had that happen. I hope they feel every little prickly spine coming out. Peppers are doing their thing very slowly. My tomato plants are super stout and green but growing funky. Very compact with the branches growing very tightly downward. One of those tomato things that could have any number of causes. Too much or not enough of this or that...or disease. Uhg...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Everything in our garden has really taken off, I took down 2-60 foot pine trees that were shading our garden until almost noon everyday, since then everything looks great.

My wife has been making pickles almost daily, my peppers are to size just haven’t turned colors yet. Tomatoes are starting to turn colors as well. Starting to cube zucchini and freezing them for use in soups this winter. This is our first garden in this location and so far I’m really seeming to like it.

341 - 360 of 756 Posts