Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
281 - 300 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
5,516 Posts

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
So far best in mine is zuccines yellow beans and cukes up to 44zuccines but that’s 8 plants probaly up to 80 in week but I got 4 families that use a lot Tomatoes look great but setting fruit was slow but picking up.Mountain fresh are doing bast better than earl girls and Juliet’s.but be long time before any to eat

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Just about had it with Harding.Last week tomatoes were looking great to day not lots of yellow leave.I’ve been watering every couple days but know that isn’t as good as good rain fertilizer everything the same as this year every thing else zuccines peppers beans and cuke doing okay but worried about tomatoes my causin next to me has 80 plants not one yellow leave and he can’t water but he planted late and his are younger and about a third smaller.Any one else having problems

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Mine is not 100% top soil. 50/50 top soil and peat. Might make it a bit lighter.
We tried raised beds a few years back. Worked fine, but eventually the boards rotted away and we needed to redo the whole thing.

Once we started using fabric, it just made things a lot easier. Cover it and forget it.

I've got a buddy that has a much larger garden and he uses 4' fabric between rows. After planting its a breeze with very little maintenance and watering. The fabric helps retain hydration.

No weeds accept right around the plants.. pretty easy to maintain. It is an expense, but I've been able to reuse these a few times.

·
49,146 Posts
We tried raised beds a few years back. Worked fine, but eventually the boards rotted away and we needed to redo the whole thing.

Once we started using fabric, it just made things a lot easier. Cover it and forget it.

I've got a buddy that has a much larger garden and he uses 4' fabric between rows. After planting its a breeze with very little maintenance and watering. The fabric helps retain hydration.

No weeds accept right around the plants.. pretty easy to maintain. It is an expense, but I've been able to reuse these a few times.
Raised beds work great for gardens in low spots or where the cable guy has buried his coax 6" underground :ROFLMAO:

Shhhhhhh don't tell him I'm the reason he got called to run new cable!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Just about had it with Harding.Last week tomatoes were looking great to day not lots of yellow leave.I’ve been watering every couple days but know that isn’t as good as good rain fertilizer everything the same as this year every thing else zuccines peppers beans and cuke doing okay but worried about tomatoes my causin next to me has 80 plants not one yellow leave and he can’t water but he planted late and his are younger and about a third smaller.Any one else having problems
Pics
Plant Groundcover Grass Terrestrial plant Tree

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Groundcover Natural landscape

Plant Flower Agriculture Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable

Plant Leaf vegetable Terrestrial plant Grass Flower

·
Super Moderator
28,984 Posts

I like raised beds. Easier for me to take care of one bed at a time. Makes rotation from year to year easy too.

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
I've got nice Jalapenos, and Bell peppers so far. Just picked first cukes of the year. I have tons of flowers on my hot/super-hot peppers, so that should be a great crop this year. Trying potatoes for the first time, and I have high hopes for a great result. Plants are looking good. Got lots of nice herbs; Basil, Oregano, Italian Parsley, and my Rosemary is doing real well. Patios tomatoes are starting to come ripe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got all my canning stuff out yesterday. Cabbage is about ready. The beans in the picture are actually bush beans trying to climb a trellis. The acorn squash is taking over but it makes good ground cover. Peppers are coming along and cherry tomatoes are almost ready for salads.The last picture is of beer trap for slugs.
Plant Plant community Leaf vegetable Agriculture Grass
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass
Plant Plant community Vegetation Leaf vegetable Terrestrial plant
Plant Automotive tire Vegetation Grass Groundcover

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Looks good notice you have few yellow leaves on tomatoe plants I have Loy more on some plants they say it’s common when plants start setting fruit because taking energy from leaves so took good look at mine and the ones with no fruit yet don’t have any yellow leaves and ones with most fruit have most yellow.Not going to worry what ever happens happens

·
Registered
90 Posts
I usually have yellowing leaves on the lower section as the season goes. I try to keep those pruned back but running a little behind. I only worry about leaves turning or dying off if it is happening on the top or middle of the plants. That usually means a fungus/ mildew problem. I also spray the plants with a fungicide about once every 6 weeks. Seems to help.

281 - 300 of 756 Posts