Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
261 - 280 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Found same when I planted yellow squash didnt do near as good.I wonder about tomatoes plant same kind and some allways are better and couple allways lot smAller less fruit
I Threw in two yellow squash last year late in an empty 10' sqr area where we'd pulled bolting spinach thinking that would be plenty of room. Wife had some bok Choi planted adjacent. About 3 weeks later you couldn't find the choi.

Damn things put out about 35 squash in the last 2 months of the season. We've got too crowded as we have so many different plants.

I'm reluctant to expand as it's already a bit overwhelming.

·
Registered
16,358 Posts
Never know deer liked cucumbers so much till this morning.
I guess they're second to beans.
I'm hoping they dont like tomatoes ,peppers watermelon and pumpkins.
But if they hit the pumpkins, it might force the grandkids into being hunter when they get older

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
They hit my peppers last year when the fence was left unplugged for several days. One year they were mopping up my cherry tomatoes. Never cucumbers but did have either rabbits or voles chew on them during a dry spell. Never had deer mess with growing pumpkins but did have a woodchuck destroy all but 3 pumpkins in a patch. It gets pretty frustrating. Some days you feel like eliminating anything and everything that looks at the garden. Green beans are like deer and rabbit crack once they get a taste.

·
Registered
487 Posts
They hit my peppers last year when the fence was left unplugged for several days. One year they were mopping up my cherry tomatoes. Never cucumbers but did have either rabbits or voles chew on them during a dry spell. Never had deer mess with growing pumpkins but did have a woodchuck destroy all but 3 pumpkins in a patch. It gets pretty frustrating. Some days you feel like eliminating anything and everything that looks at the garden. Green beans are like deer and rabbit crack once they get a taste.
My beans are always the first thing to get annihilated by the deer even though there are hundreds of acres beans within a 1/4 mile of garden. Why do they have to mow my little 20 foot bean row to the ground.😡

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Same here. 150 yrs away from my garden, the subdivision ends and woods start. On the other side of the small woods is a soybean field. I know they are not my tender delicious green beans , but damn, hit those please.
The guy that owns those woods has taken some really nice bucks out of there. I joke with him about my problem when I see him and tell him to keep his deer on his property.
Lived here 28 yrs. Never had an issue till last year with deer.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

261 - 280 of 756 Posts