Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2022 Garden Thread

27314 Views 760 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  sureshot006
Well it won't be long now. Any new ideas and or plans for this year?
Reactions: Mike
201 - 220 of 761 Posts
Yeah, like sureshot006 said, cut into small individual groups and blanch. Mostly just to kill bugs and bacteria. Freeze in portion size packs.
Eat quite a bit in salads.

Parish lettuce is our favorite green for salads, Swiss chard and spinach have all done very well this season.
Cut it up into small flowers or large chunks of heads?

What did you use the frozen for? Stir fry, etc?

Attachments

How often do you guys apply epsom salt? I added some to my tomatoes and peppers and the plants look amazing.
I only do it maybe twice a season. The 2nd is if they start to lose that dark green.
How often do you guys apply epsom salt? I added some to my tomatoes and peppers and the plants look amazing.
That’s what I do once in hole when I plant with triple 13 and side dressing with both middle of july
I only do it maybe twice a season. The 2nd is if they start to lose that dark green.
Reactions: sureshot006
Ok I’ll keep an eye on them, the difference in them was very noticeable. My wife was kind of skeptical at first but she’s a believer now!
Can probably do it more than twice but I had not found a need. Could be something to test on different areas of the garden to show a difference.
Ok I’ll keep an eye on them, the difference in them was very noticeable. My wife was kind of skeptical at first but she’s a believer now!
Maybe I’ll test it on one of our tomato plants thats struggling along, if it dies no great loss.
Can probably do it more than twice but I had not found a need. Could be something to test on different areas of the garden to show a difference.
I HATE DEER.
once again, I took a peek at my green beans yesterday and I saw a bunch of little ones. I figured this weekend
I'd be able to pick my first batch. I go out to water the garden this morning and see them SOBs had jumped the fence into the back yard and jumped the fence into my garden. not only did they eat all my bush beans, but then went and trashed my pole beans. :(
  • Angry
Reactions: Kennybks
I'm wondering what kind of tomatoes I planted this year. I thought I had a better boy, beefsteak, 2 mountain fresh and 2 celebrity. But... the better boy and beefsteak look way too small. They should be 2x the size they are now. I hope they're not something lame like Roma. The "celebrity" plants are by far the largest which is weird.
My friend puts driveway moniters around his garden and leave receiver out there pretty loud and works pretty cheap at harbor freight.Amazon has some that make loud dog barking but they are around 40 dollers
I HATE DEER.
once again, I took a peek at my green beans yesterday and I saw a bunch of little ones. I figured this weekend
I'd be able to pick my first batch. I go out to water the garden this morning and see them SOBs had jumped the fence into the back yard and jumped the fence into my garden. not only did they eat all my bush beans, but then went and trashed my pole beans. :(
I've got a client with a koi pond that swears by these:

He mounts them low to keep the raccoons out of his pond. He liked them so much he bought several more to mount higher for deer and he said it works to keep them out of his hostas. I've been half tempted to buy them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I HATE DEER.
First zuccines today Friday think I will have another dozen Sunday but that’s 8 plants
Terrestrial plant Wood Natural material Grass Grass family
I have a couple of those flashing “red eyes”. I think the deer get used to them after a while. My wife said the deer ate her flowers out front too.
Now I kind of understand the guy shooting deer to relieve stress[emoji38] just kidding.
I might have to look into driveway beepers

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman
I've got a client with a koi pond that swears by these:

He mounts them low to keep the raccoons out of his pond. He liked them so much he bought several more to mount higher for deer and he said it works to keep them out of his hostas. I've been half tempted to buy them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Reactions: Radar420 and Mike
Plant Flower Sky Leaf Tree

Getting pears on one of the trees that’s been in a few years. Watering everything this morning, off to the UP for a week. Hope we get some rain…
They should be way bigger than mountain fresh mountain fresh don’t get to tall but they sure are bushy and tall and all there stems are lot sturdyer and thicker than the other ones
I'm wondering what kind of tomatoes I planted this year. I thought I had a better boy, beefsteak, 2 mountain fresh and 2 celebrity. But... the better boy and beefsteak look way too small. They should be 2x the size they are now. I hope they're not something lame like Roma. The "celebrity" plants are by far the largest which is weird.
My "celebrity" are 46" tall. I suppose it is possible my son switched tags between the trays and I didn't notice.
They should be way bigger than mountain fresh mountain fresh don’t get to tall but they sure are bushy and tall and all there stems are lot sturdyer and thicker than the other ones
Here's beans that the deer got to[emoji30]
Plant Plant community Road surface Tree Land lot
Plant Plant community Sky Tree Land lot

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That seems big for celebs I use to plant some they never got the tall.
My "celebrity" are 46" tall. I suppose it is possible my son switched tags between the trays and I didn't notice.
That’s a shame bet if you don’t deer hunt your going to start
Here's beans that the deer got to[emoji30] View attachment 840235 View attachment 840236

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Fence Plant Grass Wire fencing Terrestrial animal

Oh look my bacon seeds arrived today and are planting themselves…lol

Seriois side note, I’ll use these pigs at the end of the season in my garden, clean up duty and fertilizer.
201 - 220 of 761 Posts