Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
181 - 200 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
We didn’t plant till the week after Memorial Day too. Things are looking good. Pepper plants aren’t as big as I’d like to see. I just fertilized with fish emulsion yesterday so the rain today is perfect. I’ll use the fish emulsion the next few weeks to see if it helps or not. I’ve only heard good things about it. Can’t wait to make some more pickles. I’m out of the garlic jalapeño variety. I need to make more this year. Only made it to Memorial Day before running out of them. I’ll try to get some pics too.

·
Premium Member
16,264 Posts
Finally got some rain. Watering sucks.
I watered last night, just to be sure. Should be good for today and tomorrow. Tomorrow will bake out the moisture. Lol

That is the good thing about have a more clay soil, it holds the moisture well. My Dad's is more sand and he has put in a good couple years getting his soil built up. Grows awesome now, but he has to water like crazy.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Crazy nice broccoli heads. We've got three more to pick tonight or tomorrow.
Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass Groundcover

I watered last night, just to be sure. Should be good for today and tomorrow. Tomorrow will bake out the moisture. Lol

That is the good thing about have a more clay soil, it holds the moisture well. My Dad's is more sand and he has put in a good couple years getting his soil built up. Grows awesome now, but he has to water like crazy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just got good rain.Finally get good mix of male and female flowers on zuccine should have bunch in week or two.Can’t believe how good everything is growing .lots blossom on tomatoes cukes peppers and beans.One thing have not seen one bee hand pollinating zuccines and cukes
How do you hand pollinate your cukes and zucchini? Have not seen any bees in my plants yet either. Hope I'm not going to get nothing but a bunch green leaves. Lol.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
How do you hand pollinate your cukes and zucchini? Have not seen any bees in my plants yet either. Hope I'm not going to get nothing but a bunch green leaves. Lol.
You can tell the female has shape of Lottie fruit behind flower on stem male is lust straight smoot stem.If I have both I pick the male leave stem to hold on than peel flowers off and stick male in to female rub gently usually can use one male for about five females or until polymer is rub off.I only do it with cukes just little bit because there so small.Tomatoes are both in same flower wind shaking plant pus bug cause polen to fertilizer.Some times early in year I snap blossom with my finger.My friend use a electric tooth brush to vibrate the flower. Got to admit he usually get lot more tomatoe per plant than me.But Iam to lazy to do that on tomatoes but last year I did it on one plant next to identical plants and I did get about 25percent more tomatoes.But it was a pain just one plant not doing 60

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
All you need is a small paint brush.

Don't really even need bees anyway... heck a breeze will do it or ants or whatever else. I've never had to hand pollinate zucchini
I just hand polinated in the beginning I quit once I start getting a lot of male and female.But right now mostly females just started get few males .I think by Sunday I will be picking about 20 but that’s 8plants

·
47,728 Posts
Cut it up into small flowers or large chunks of heads?

What did you use the frozen for? Stir fry, etc?
I cut it into chunks like the size you'd find in a Chinese food dish or a store bought bag of frozen broccoli.

Actually yes, I made a lot of stir fry out of it. I went on a stir fry bender for a couple years lol.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I cut it into chunks like the size you'd find in a Chinese food dish or a store bought bag of frozen broccoli.

Actually yes, I made a lot of stir fry out of it. I went on a stir fry bender for a couple years lol.

I really like the stir fry system, pork scraps, venison chips, fish, even rabbit and turkey all stir fried up.

I don't cook but, my wife is awesome.

181 - 200 of 732 Posts