Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

2022 Garden Thread

27368 Views 760 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  sureshot006
Well it won't be long now. Any new ideas and or plans for this year?
Reactions: Mike
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Spend today adding a fence and rebuilding my run. Used to let my birds free range but with 9 birds now I'm over my dogs rolling in their poop.

Hoping to plant next weekend

Sky Plant Plant community Tree Natural environment

Plant Sky Tree Wire fencing Mesh
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Tree

Got mine planted over the weekend. Some herbs, a variety of peppers, tomatoes, ect.

Also installed a rainbird drip irrigation system on a timer. Works better then I could ask for.
So far this year my garden is off to a slow start. I think I made mistake not tilling my leaves in, then covering them with cardboard and compost. Recent reading says that leaves actually pull nitrogen from the soil to decompose and don't put it back till they fully decompose. As you can see in the photo, my plants have yellowed and are growing far slower then expected. I decided to check my soil levels and sure enough my nitrogen is depleted. I decided to try a fertilizer called Alaska fish fertilizer to bring my N values up.
Also following some reading I found on making manure tea. Basically a mix of chicken poop and water that you let sit.
Hopefully the alaska fish stuff works. I'll definitely be following up.
Plant Green Liquid Food Fluid
Plant Plant community Road surface Botany Grass

Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Wood Plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Road surface Groundcover

Product Rectangle Font Material property Gas
Reactions: Radar420 and Mike
I paid 13.99 for it Ace hardware, same size. However I think it about 11 dollars at home depot or lowes
I bought this bottle several years ago. I'm wondering what the market value today is and how much the price has jumped since.
Reactions: PunyTrout
Following up from my post just over a week ago. The Alaska Fish Fertilizer seems to have added the nitrogen I needed. I have yet to test the nitrogen level but my plants are green and growing very well. My tomatoes have basically doubled in size.

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plant Land lot Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover
So far this year my garden is off to a slow start. I think I made mistake not tilling my leaves in, then covering them with cardboard and compost. Recent reading says that leaves actually pull nitrogen from the soil to decompose and don't put it back till they fully decompose. As you can see in the photo, my plants have yellowed and are growing far slower then expected. I decided to check my soil levels and sure enough my nitrogen is depleted. I decided to try a fertilizer called Alaska fish fertilizer to bring my N values up.
Also following some reading I found on making manure tea. Basically a mix of chicken poop and water that you let sit.
Hopefully the alaska fish stuff works. I'll definitely be following up.
Was considering this, but limiting putting to much on the plants at once. Once they continue to grow I may try this on a few plants to see how the react.

You guys ever use Epsom salt? Greens plants up real nice. Peppers love it.
looks great you did great job no weeds that hardest thing for me
Thanks. Only reason I do not have weeds iis I put down cardboard on top of the garden then covered the cardboard with compost I bought. Only thing that has ever worked for me.
Reactions: sureshot006
After about three or four weeks of applying alaska fish fertilizer to my garden ive finally got it growing and producing as expected!

Getting zuchinni daily and all the other plants have fruit. Really looking forward to the season when i can pull my yellow onions.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Evergreen Groundcover

Plant Property Plant community Tree Fence
Food Pickling Food storage Achaar Ingredient

Have plenty of yellow peppers, tomatoes are just now starting to turn. Hoping to have another 10 to 15 jars over the next few weeks.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts