Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just got good rain.Finally get good mix of male and female flowers on zuccine should have bunch in week or two.Can’t believe how good everything is growing .lots blossom on tomatoes cukes peppers and beans.One thing have not seen one bee hand pollinating zuccines and cukes
How do you hand pollinate your cukes and zucchini? Have not seen any bees in my plants yet either. Hope I'm not going to get nothing but a bunch green leaves. Lol.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Plumman that’s a beautiful garden how do you keep * out of corn when it’s ready
Thank you Retired!
Thanks to my wifes aunt who is 80 years young and lives on the otherside of the creek from us, and is deadly with her 20 guage, and both of us using live traps, we dont get them all but we keep them thinned out. My wifes aunt has an issue with them tearing her potted deck plants apart. I used to take out everyone I saw but in my old age I've gotten a little soft so I use a live trap and take em to some nearby state land and release em. Its usually good for 5-8 masked bandits in the summer around here. Have caught 3 so far. Probably been 3 years since the little rascals have done a raid on my corn. Lol.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your garden looks great.

What do you use for beetle control? I've been getting potato beetles the last couple years.
Thanks. As much as I dont want to admit it, I use liquid sevin so I can get into the center of the plant with the spray nozzle and cover the underside of the leaves. Seems to more fatal to the really young larva then when bigger so I made up my mind I was going to inspect each plant for adult beetles and eggs at least every other day and not let them get ahead of me. I dont like to use an indiscriminate pesticide like sevin but dont know of any other way to rid of potato beetles. 😕

·
Registered
487 Posts
I remember as a kid having to pick them by hand.

I've got a couple chemical sprays/powder I've used which have worked just ok. I'm giving retired dundo's corn starch trick a try. If that doesn't work I'm trying dish soap and vinegar.
Missed the cornstarch trick post, will search for the page. If you use the vinegar and dishsoap remedy please post how well it works.

·
Registered
487 Posts
They hit my peppers last year when the fence was left unplugged for several days. One year they were mopping up my cherry tomatoes. Never cucumbers but did have either rabbits or voles chew on them during a dry spell. Never had deer mess with growing pumpkins but did have a woodchuck destroy all but 3 pumpkins in a patch. It gets pretty frustrating. Some days you feel like eliminating anything and everything that looks at the garden. Green beans are like deer and rabbit crack once they get a taste.
My beans are always the first thing to get annihilated by the deer even though there are hundreds of acres beans within a 1/4 mile of garden. Why do they have to mow my little 20 foot bean row to the ground.😡

·
Registered
487 Posts
Canned some pickles with dill that keeps growing from 2012 lol... and picked one Jalapeño to spice them up a little.

View attachment 842497
Do you use alum or pickle crisp for your sliced pickles? I have been using alum and after
being in the jar for a couple months the sliced or quartered pickles become really soft. Just use a boiled brine and boiled lid with a cleaned jar. Rarely have a jar that doesnt seal. Going to try pickle crisp and see what happens. And I like to add a jalapeño for a little bite in mine too.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I always passed on this method because everything i read was to use them in a few weeks and the reason for the hot water bath was to preserve them. You all convinced me to try it out.
Here is the first foray into fridge pickles !
Added a garlic clove to one jar courtesy of sfw1960.

How long do you recommend before we break into these?
View attachment 844083

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I couldn't wait! Was into them on day 2! Lol
Food storage containers Drinkware Mason jar Liquid Fluid

·
Registered
487 Posts
Makes me want give up growing tomatoes Iam for sure moving my garden next year to many years in same spot .my never plants tomatoes in same spot he rotate on a3 year cycle.What gets me never had problems until five years ago.my dad had garden for 40 years never heard him complain or evan say the word blight
I'm with you. I'm going to move my tomatos and vine plants (sguash, pickle, watermelon, muskmelon) to a old garden area I've been working every year for last 4 years and planting nothing. We'll see if it helps with the slowing down the fungus problem in the soil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts