Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ordered some elderberries and two more pear trees. Read that Bartlett pears need a pollinator, we weren’t aware of that when we planted. We do have a wild pear, but we don’t think it’s the right type…

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Scaling back this year, just not enough time and not sure my raised beds will make it thru another growing season…. Might convert to an in ground garden next year and just replace the perimeter boards.

Did put in some tomatoes.
Plant Grass Groundcover Flower Landscape

Planted four elderberries earlier this spring.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Two more Pear trees. These were bare root, not sure when to prune the lower growth, have to do more research.
Plant Fence Land lot Grass Terrestrial plant

The raspberries appear to be taking over!
Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Prune the trees as soon as you plant them but you can still prune them now.

In the future, you'll want to prune them in late winter/early spring before bud break.
Trees were bare root - planted this Spring (looked like I planted a stick in the ground). This is all new growth, that’s why I’m not sure if I should prune the lower growth this summer, or just wait until next winter…

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Another member here used cinder block. Seems you'd lose some sqft but it would last.

I used landscape timbers, 3 high. They only lasted 5 years or so. Next will probably be block.
Surprised the timbers didn’t last longer. I think we’re on year six or seven with regular 2x6’s. The corner posts are treated 4x4’s. Those are fine, but the termites are just about thru the boards.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Something has started helping prune the bottom leaves / branches on my new pear trees
Plant Botany Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Soil

Guessing rabbits. I’ll have to add chicken wire inside the fence. Picked a few strawberries tonight from the last few plants I have. First official harvest of 2022 for me. 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts