Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
My son has always been into doing vegetable gardens, the last 2 years he’s had a 12’x12’ area to plant a few things in. A couple weeks ago I bought a new tiller and I’m putting in a 30’x50’ garden for him to go crazy in. We’ve already mapped out what we’re putting in and where. Asparagus, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers (pickling and salad), cantaloupe, watermelon, and green beans. My sweet potatoes I’ll continue to do in my containers. I’ve used 55 gallon drums the last few years and I’m finally nailing down the recipe for best growth.
I do all my potatoes in containers. I feel I lose some yield but they are much more manageable.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have a 15' x 15" raised garden except for tomatos which I plant in the ground. I water my garden via my underground sprinkler system. How often do you guys water your garden? I plant beans, squash, peppers and the tomatos. Thank you and good luck.
Kind of depends. During hot dry periods every other day. I try to mulch most things so that I can water everything real good and go on a weeks fishing trip and be ok.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Replaced one cherry tree that didnt make it last year. Put in 5 new Apple varieties. A couple hazelnuts and juneberries. Still got 4 peach trees to go.

Saw Sackett's were out planting their potato fields. So I guess I will go up to the feed store and get some potatoes and onion sets and get them in. Will try getting some sugar snap peas in the ground this week also.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
That’s what I was thinking was dissolve it in water. Didn’t know if you water with it or spray the plant. My Dad just sprinkled some in the garden and said it made a difference.

Anyone ever use diatomaceous earth for keeping bugs out? We bought some but haven’t applied it yet. My wife doesn’t like the idea of chemicals in the garden.
Diatomaceous earth is not a chemical.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts