Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
No pictures, but our garden is doing awesome. We didn’t plant until the week after Memorial Day. Just worked up a good flat piece of ground with the tractor and then tilled the schitt out of it. It was where the previous over stacked his hay, so the ground was pretty compacted. It’s more of a clayish soil, I believe from when they dug the pond (it’s only about 50ft from the pond so we can water it from there if needed). The pumpkins are going crazy, and we’re going to plant the 2 giant pumpkin plants my Wife started in the sun room tonight. Squash and melons are starting to spread and have flowers all over. Pickles and cukes are doing good. The bush beans are doing well but my pole beans seem to be struggling. Cabbage, Brussels, peppers, tomatoes and broccoli are doing great. I just noticed last night that all my asparagus crowns I planted are popped and doing well. The rhubarb took right off and my whole row of onions I was beginning to think were a dud are all going crazy.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Glad to see your doing good pretty good garden weather this year could use more rain one thing I did is put straw around all plants and it made big difference keeping ground moist in all this heat don’t have to water near as much
Yeah, I was going to do that but never did. I will next year for sure, maybe even this year. It was kind of a shotgun garden since we just moved in October. We weren't even planning on it until the weather got nicer and we both decided we didn't want to go a year without one.

Anyone prune their tomato plants? I have read and seen videos on it, but never have done it. Thinking of giving it a go.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Glad to see your doing good pretty good garden weather this year could use more rain one thing I did is put straw around all plants and it made big difference keeping ground moist in all this heat don’t have to water near as much
Also, now that the plants are getting bigger and the melons and squash are starting to spread that is making a big difference in retaining moisture, at least on that side of the garden. Crazy what difference a little bit of shade can do. Our garden is pretty much direct sun light all day long after about 730am.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Finally got some rain. Watering sucks.
I watered last night, just to be sure. Should be good for today and tomorrow. Tomorrow will bake out the moisture. Lol

That is the good thing about have a more clay soil, it holds the moisture well. My Dad's is more sand and he has put in a good couple years getting his soil built up. Grows awesome now, but he has to water like crazy.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
You can put it in the soil on transplanting or you can mix it in a spray bottle and apply to the leaves or a watering can once in a while. I use it like I would a soluble fertilizer.
That’s what I was thinking was dissolve it in water. Didn’t know if you water with it or spray the plant. My Dad just sprinkled some in the garden and said it made a difference.

Anyone ever use diatomaceous earth for keeping bugs out? We bought some but haven’t applied it yet. My wife doesn’t like the idea of chemicals in the garden.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
A coworker's wife worked for a nursery/greenhouse that is very well thought of in our area. She claimed that young tomato plants got mixed and matched all the time. Sometimes by the workers, and a lot of times by customers who walk through, pull an id tag to read it, then stick back in the wrong flat. As far a the effort in growing from seed, I get it. But, I'm just the opposite. I just started growing my own a few years ago and will never go back. There's just an infinite amount of seed varieties available online. I don't have to hunt in different stores to try and find what I want and hope that they are in good shape. It seems like my plants have been much hardier since growing from seed too. I'm thinking of maybe getting a small grow tent to start them. I give extra pepper and tomato plants away to friends.
We have a sun room on the back of the house that is perfect for it. Going to start our own next year. Like we said, we want to get some different seeds and play around.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Our garden is going crazy, except the beans and peppers. I had only my pea plants die, like didn't even start growing. They just died as soon as they were planted. My beans are starting to take off, but I don't think I'll be getting pounds. We will plant more next year. The melons, pumpkins, squash, zukes, pickles and tomatoes are going insane. Broccoli is doing very well along with the cabbage, brussels and egg plants are lagging a bit, but I always have the best luck with brussels as the weather cools anyway. I need to make some brine for pickles soon, probably tomorrow while it storms. I will have a ton here soon, we have been getting some steady, but they are exploding. I just don't want to pick them until I have the brine ready.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
This is our 1st time doing garlic in our garden, so I don't know. We had a patch of wild garlic very small cloves, but it grew prolific and produced tons and was really pungent. These this year are elephant and much milder. We're going to wait until they're fully cured to try.

What impact on the soil?
Didn't know that. I planted cabbage the last couple years in the same bed after the garlic was pulled and grew some really nice, round heads that wife turned into cabbage rolls. I'm just an amateur, but Brewster grows a huge crop of garlic, and perhaps he could shed some light for us.
I could be completely off on that. I haven't looked into it, but my Wife was told that from someone. She was told she was better off growing them in pots. But I have no idea how true it is. I do want to grow some garlic next year.

It would be cool if you could do them in a pot like potatoes where you just keep burying the sprouts and then have a pot full of garlic. Lol

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Finaly got good rain last night over two inch’s sure did soak in normally would have puddles in yard for couple days none this morning that’s how. Dry it’s been.Hope it helps garden.my zuccines just about stopped producing and early girl tomatoes are one third the size plants should be but loaded with 20 to 30 tomatoes but getting ripe lots smaller same with mountain fresh should get ripe size of softball there loaded but getting ripe at 2 inch’s and some blossom end rot and sun scaled from heat and lack of leaf cover.Maybe this rain will help but think it’s two late
I have been watering nearly every night, at least when we’re home. It had helped tremendously. Probably would have all died if I hadn’t.

I water out of the pond with a pump. I’d need 400ft of hose to reach from the barn.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Sprinkler or shallow well pump I'm guessing? My pond is mere feet from my garden, but I have to use 150' of extention cord to power it.

30amp cords 100' aren't cheap.
I use an old sump pump I have had for years. Used to use it for an old duck pond.

I have power out by the dock, so that helps. Gotta put in another power access for where I want to put the big fountain. Them sumbitches are $$$$.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Can’t do nothing about rain.But I don’t like to get them wet that’s why when it allways real humid you have better chance of getting blight and other desease
Agree. I base water too. Soaker hoses would be best, but they get expensive fast. I just mound up the dirt around where I did the hole for the plant. Usually about a foot diameter so I can fill those with the house with no nozzle on it. Doesn’t take long and then it soaks in as I’m moving on. Best way I’ve found so far. Eventually I’ll have soaked hoses on a water timer. Drip irrigation even better.

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
Finally got to get out and pick. I made @sfw1960 pickle brine a couple days ago anticipating the harvest. I got 16qts of dill garlic and a couple QTs and PTs of bread and butter done last night. Have almost 2 gallons of brine left for more. I did some just dill and garlic, a couple with jalapeños (only had a couple ready), and a couple with some Cajun seasoning in it (why not?). We’re to the point of picking every other day or so now. She’s loaded, just gotta keep up on what’s ripe. The first watermelon was amazing and didn’t last the night. When the tomatoes start popping we’re gonna be swimming in them. Had to prop up the cages with rods they are so loaded. The pics where before it was all sorted out. Finally took some pictures.

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Land lot
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Tree

Plant Plant community Sky Natural landscape Land lot

Food Summer squash Plant Cucurbita Natural foods

Plant Active tank Sky People in nature Shorts

Food Food storage Plant Food storage containers Pickling

Tableware Drinkware Fluid Gas Drink

·
Premium Member
16,338 Posts
You may have made the brine but thou shalt not slice the pickles with his recipe.

My recipe is very similar to his but when I slice them to spears they get a bit too salty, and I like salt. If you don't mind, let us know how they turn out for you.

My whole pickles in his recipe are still in a waiting period. I think I will break into them this weekend.
Damn. I never do whole pickles. Lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts