Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16,520 Posts
Think this will be last year for big garden I give to about 8 families but getting to hard.Got tomatoes planted. 42mountain fresh 16 early girls 4juliets.that just about killed my legs.Still got 45 different peppers 16 zuccines 4 cucumbers and row of beans.I love giving it away people really appreciate it and do a lot for me.But just getting to hard.
Why not ask those 8 families if they'd like to come help you plant, and tend your garden, as thanks for being able to share in the bounty? Many hands make light work.

· Registered
16,520 Posts
Pole beans will climb out of a tomato cage in short order, and become a mess. I put them on a trellis that is 8' tall, and they grow way over the top of it. But I love em, because I got a ton of beans, and after the first (low) picking, the beans are clean - no dirt. And I buy some that are purple when they grow, but turn green when you cook them. They are really good.

· Registered
16,520 Posts
I've got nice Jalapenos, and Bell peppers so far. Just picked first cukes of the year. I have tons of flowers on my hot/super-hot peppers, so that should be a great crop this year. Trying potatoes for the first time, and I have high hopes for a great result. Plants are looking good. Got lots of nice herbs; Basil, Oregano, Italian Parsley, and my Rosemary is doing real well. Patios tomatoes are starting to come ripe.

· Registered
16,520 Posts
I've never heard of Farmers planting crops in the shade. lol. If you used fertilizer that has any significant amount of Nitrogen, and not a lot more Phosphorus, and Potash, that would be the reason you have huge plants with very little fruit. I use an even blend of fertilizer early in the season, then switch to stuff that makes plants bloom, and/or that makes tomatoes/peppers produce more fruit at the end of June. I grow many of my veggies in large pots, so it is pretty easy to fertilize effectively. But I do have to water my plants at least every couple days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts