Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I actually live in the suburbs but moved my garden up north to the hunting property because the neighbor down here likes to feed the chipmunks and squirrels and they just destroy the garden .

The neighbors I know who still garden are getting up there in age with health issues so they've scaled way back and not many younger people seem to have much interest.

A few younger adults have become more interested in the garden club my wife's in this year with grocery prices rising quickly.

My wife is 65 and one of the younger people. The club is hoping the youngsters get hooked and start a generation of gardeners.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Scaling back this year, just not enough time and not sure my raised beds will make it thru another growing season…. Might convert to an in ground garden next year and just replace the perimeter boards.

Did put in some tomatoes. View attachment 836131

Planted four elderberries earlier this spring.
View attachment 836133

Two more Pear trees. These were bare root, not sure when to prune the lower growth, have to do more research.
View attachment 836134

The raspberries appear to be taking over!
View attachment 836137

Just wondering, why leave the raised beds?

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I cut it into chunks like the size you'd find in a Chinese food dish or a store bought bag of frozen broccoli.

Actually yes, I made a lot of stir fry out of it. I went on a stir fry bender for a couple years lol.

I really like the stir fry system, pork scraps, venison chips, fish, even rabbit and turkey all stir fried up.

I don't cook but, my wife is awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I haven't had a single bug in the garden yet. I attribute this to diatomaceous earth and chickens. But the chickens don't ever really go into the garden, so IDK.

Isn't garlic really hard on your soil? Like you want to grow it by itself kinda thing?

We grew between 13,000- 20,0000 heads for several years: only about 3,000 this year. We moved the beds each year on a 3-year rotation and our soil tests never displayed much of a change in soil tests.

I grew buckwheat and then a rye/clover mix on the fallow years for the beds.

We used a foliar fertilizer when my wife wanted to fertilize.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
First few ears are finally good to go.

View attachment 846107

A corn dog. sorry, I had to.
I tried watering every 3 days but it take 2hours to hold nozzle at base of plants for one minute and that’s not enough and it kills me standing that long next year I will have soaker hoses and lot smaller garden

Drip tape is easy to install, reusable and gets the water fight to the plants with very little waste.

We use drip tape on 6" and 2' spacing between emitters depending on what types of plants were watering.

I use water out of our pond most of the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts