Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I built a new greenhouse this spring. We normally would have squash and zucchini growing in one by now but I got it up a little later than planned.

View attachment 826953
View attachment 826952
I'll bite! Tell us more.. dimensions, materials, cost. Is that just bent conduit? Looks good as a hoop. The kits that size they are pushing are 3k and aren't worth it.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
For some reason I thought white asparagus was grown in a gas enclosure like enoki mushrooms. But according to Google it is grown in the dark to prevent photosynthesis.
As asparagus plants grow they seem to expand a bit from original boundaries. When they crowd your rhubarb plants you find some white asparagus..
Food Plant Ingredient Cuisine Natural foods

Our spinach is the best we've ever grown. Plants started in mid October last year are rockin' 10" delectable dark green leaves.

Peas planted just prior to Easter are up and honking. Three eggplant varieties, okra, a few pepper plants and beans are already sprouting.
Plant Green Grass Groundcover Leaf vegetable

Plant Grass Groundcover Grass family Road surface

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I will have to remember that now I just planted my row far enough to ride the lawnmower and green path to walk down but still have to craw down rats to pull weed around plants trying to put straw around all plants see if that helps plus maybe keep ground moist longer.
Landscape fabric is amazing with the staples. 4"-6" gap leaves plenty of room to plant, then lay in pieces of cut fabric between plants or just mulch. A somewhat expensive approach, but just a little preparation and weeding is much easier.

We're on our 2nd year and reused most of last year's fabric and working great.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Annual plant Circle Flower

Plant Plant community Vegetation Grass Terrestrial plant

Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Leaf vegetable

Landscape fabric is amazing with the staples. 4"-6" gap leaves plenty of room to plant, then lay in pieces of cut fabric between plants or just mulch. A somewhat expensive approach, but just a little preparation and weeding is much easier.

We're on our 2nd year and reused most of last year's fabric and working great.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Crazy nice broccoli heads. We've got three more to pick tonight or tomorrow.
Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass Groundcover

I watered last night, just to be sure. Should be good for today and tomorrow. Tomorrow will bake out the moisture. Lol

That is the good thing about have a more clay soil, it holds the moisture well. My Dad's is more sand and he has put in a good couple years getting his soil built up. Grows awesome now, but he has to water like crazy.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Cut it up into small flowers or large chunks of heads?

What did you use the frozen for? Stir fry, etc?
Yeah, like sureshot006 said, cut into small individual groups and blanch. Mostly just to kill bugs and bacteria. Freeze in portion size packs.
Eat quite a bit in salads.

Parish lettuce is our favorite green for salads, Swiss chard and spinach have all done very well this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I HATE DEER.
once again, I took a peek at my green beans yesterday and I saw a bunch of little ones. I figured this weekend
I'd be able to pick my first batch. I go out to water the garden this morning and see them SOBs had jumped the fence into the back yard and jumped the fence into my garden. not only did they eat all my bush beans, but then went and trashed my pole beans. :(
Don't get mad, get even. Lol I hear ya Jimbo.
I finally put up an 8' fence and 30" at the bottom, of chicken wire, with 8" buried. Now they just trim anything that grows outside of the fence.

Green beans and venison. Yummy!
Food Ingredient Fines herbes Plant Grass

The broccoli we picked this morning

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Plant Plant community Tree Grass Shrub
5 days of not picking asparagus, it's wasted no time.
Plant community Plant Flower Green World

3 more heads ready to be picked.
Plant Leaf Botany Vegetation Grass

Beans kicking in soon, lots and lots of flowers.
Anaheim, poblano, jalapeno and a few hotter varieties are doing well. I did spray Epsom salt on the peppers and tomatoes. Both seemed to respond well. 3/4" rain occurred at the same time though.
No signs of any blight yet, hoping it stays that way until well fruited.
Plant Wood Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant
The strip of okra along the southern edge is finally starting to foliage up and beginning to elevate. The smaller ones are from direct seeding the 1st week of June. The bigger ones are from store bought sets I put in 2nd week of June. Crazy slow growth and in August, boom they explode.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Found same when I planted yellow squash didnt do near as good.I wonder about tomatoes plant same kind and some allways are better and couple allways lot smAller less fruit
I Threw in two yellow squash last year late in an empty 10' sqr area where we'd pulled bolting spinach thinking that would be plenty of room. Wife had some bok Choi planted adjacent. About 3 weeks later you couldn't find the choi.

Damn things put out about 35 squash in the last 2 months of the season. We've got too crowded as we have so many different plants.

I'm reluctant to expand as it's already a bit overwhelming.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Mine is not 100% top soil. 50/50 top soil and peat. Might make it a bit lighter.
We tried raised beds a few years back. Worked fine, but eventually the boards rotted away and we needed to redo the whole thing.

Once we started using fabric, it just made things a lot easier. Cover it and forget it.

I've got a buddy that has a much larger garden and he uses 4' fabric between rows. After planting its a breeze with very little maintenance and watering. The fabric helps retain hydration.

No weeds accept right around the plants.. pretty easy to maintain. It is an expense, but I've been able to reuse these a few times.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
No tomatoes, cukes or beans up here yet, I'm 3-4 weeks behind most of you guys. I have harvested my peas, been picking broccoli, and 95% of my garlic is harvested. Decided to sit down and clean up some of the bulbs this evening. View attachment 844690 View attachment 844687 View attachment 844686
Nice, you grew a significant amount. This was our first year growing the larger species. We ate the first one without drying it out first. Tasty, but not pungent like good garlic. We're going to pull them this weekend.

Picked 4# of beans Sunday, went out this afternoon and got 6#. Guess we're freezing produce this weekend.
Food Plant Bean Ingredient Natural foods

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Membranophone Musical instrument Public address system Drum Musician

Food Plant Ingredient Tableware Wood

Spent a couple of days at blues festival last weekend. Come home to a submarine of a zuk.

Tomatoes are push 7' tall, blight is starting slowly now. Loaded up with fruit, capalka,, roma and celebrity.

Egg plant are the best we've ever grown. Beans are prolific, getting 4-6#/week.

Okra is finally producing. We've picked 4 in the last two days, likely will be picking 6-8 per day by next week.

Brocolli is STILL pushing out tight 2nd grow after all the huge heads it produced. Crazy amounts. We've given away twice as much as we've ever produced.

I attribute that to having no cabbiage butterflies around until later this year. We'd already picked the initial heads by the time they arrived. Japanese beatles were slow on the scene this year too. They like to stage on the beans and tear them up quickly while mating. I hand pick and rip they're little heads off. Makes me happy.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I haven't had a single bug in the garden yet. I attribute this to diatomaceous earth and chickens. But the chickens don't ever really go into the garden, so IDK.

Isn't garlic really hard on your soil? Like you want to grow it by itself kinda thing?
This is our 1st time doing garlic in our garden, so I don't know. We had a patch of wild garlic very small cloves, but it grew prolific and produced tons and was really pungent. These this year are elephant and much milder. We're going to wait until they're fully cured to try.

What impact on the soil?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Did you try cooking up some of the garlic scapes? Not bad cooked with a little olive and salt. I prefer butter. And when did you plant your garlic cloves. I usually plant mine the last week of August to the second week in September. I missed the fall plant a couple years ago and planted in the spring. The bulbs didnt develop very well (small) and pretty weak flavored.
Yes, we do all the greens; scape, brocolli rape, chard and spinach. We pushed those cloves in around Sept 1st. They we in long enough to sprout before the cold. We overwinter spinach as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts