Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation on a good tender pole type green bean? I’ve always plant bush type green beans. But I don’t care to bend over that long to pick them anymore.
I did try Kentucky wonders once. Thought they were tough and stringy

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Blue Lakes are tough to beat in my opinion. Some of the seed catalog B.S. claims that others may be better producers, but a 20 ft. row of Blue Lakes will still produce a $#@! ton of green beans. Make sure you get the pole variety, because Blue lake's are available in bush form too.
Thanks, didn’t know they had a pole bean too. I’ve plant their blue lake 274 for years

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
im trying pole beans this year for the first time ever. We're getting too old to bend over and pick beans. Lets see how they taste compared to a bush bean. So far they are doing better then my bush bean.
Peas are blossoming. Tomato's and peppers have been in for 2 weeks and looking good.
Just put in my cucumbers and pumpkin for the grandkids Monday night

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I HATE DEER.
once again, I took a peek at my green beans yesterday and I saw a bunch of little ones. I figured this weekend
I'd be able to pick my first batch. I go out to water the garden this morning and see them SOBs had jumped the fence into the back yard and jumped the fence into my garden. not only did they eat all my bush beans, but then went and trashed my pole beans. :(

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I've got a client with a koi pond that swears by these:

He mounts them low to keep the raccoons out of his pond. He liked them so much he bought several more to mount higher for deer and he said it works to keep them out of his hostas. I've been half tempted to buy them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I have a couple of those flashing “red eyes”. I think the deer get used to them after a while. My wife said the deer ate her flowers out front too.
Now I kind of understand the guy shooting deer to relieve stress just kidding.
I might have to look into driveway beepers

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Same here. 150 yrs away from my garden, the subdivision ends and woods start. On the other side of the small woods is a soybean field. I know they are not my tender delicious green beans , but damn, hit those please.
The guy that owns those woods has taken some really nice bucks out of there. I joke with him about my problem when I see him and tell him to keep his deer on his property.
Lived here 28 yrs. Never had an issue till last year with deer.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The good sister...
My sister came over today to hang out with my wife and her girl friend and lounge in the pool.
I took off and went shooting.
My sister noticed I had a lot of weed in my garden. So she weeded it.
Dang ! It looks nice.
Since the deer took my beans twice, I kind of said screw it.
Love my baby sister

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts