Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Iam doing away with most tomatoe cages.Getting to hard for me so only planting about 16 early girls and 6 juliets and grapes around the edges deer love them and than usually don’t bother rest of tomatoes in middle.And than about 36 mountain spring they dont need cages but are late season and get big like softball perfect shape like early girl and super good tasting and great for canning and 16 zuccines and about 40 pepper plants I give 90percent away to people that let me hunt and park for ice fishing and causin that helps me with any repairs around house.And family people call it my suck up garden and they are right

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
My son has always been into doing vegetable gardens, the last 2 years he’s had a 12’x12’ area to plant a few things in. A couple weeks ago I bought a new tiller and I’m putting in a 30’x50’ garden for him to go crazy in. We’ve already mapped out what we’re putting in and where. Asparagus, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers (pickling and salad), cantaloupe, watermelon, and green beans. My sweet potatoes I’ll continue to do in my containers. I’ve used 55 gallon drums the last few years and I’m finally nailing down the recipe for best growth.
That’s great to have teenager that likes gardening wish I hah one to help

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
My MIL was at a local greenhouse yesterday and noted a single tomato plant (qt size) was $4.99. Thats outrageous!
Found I have better luck buying the little ones what 4 or 6 in container The owner of nursery told me years ago people allways want big plants but best planting little ones maybe 6inch tall something about root bound.Last year I could not resist and bough couple three times bigger than all my other ones.The little ones ended up lot bigger and better.just try it with a couple I think you will be surprized

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
View attachment 830264

Italian Canner seedlings are a little spindly yet but should be ready to go outside soon.
I finally got around to preparing our irrigation system of old downspouts. The ghetto-tastic upcycle of our old downspouts will provide a easy peasy way to drop a hose in and water the root systems for a couple rows of plants.

View attachment 830260

The orange paint marks where to put plants that line up with corresponding drainage holes.
Good idea

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Went to a local greenhouse today and found prices up 30% from last year. Someone forgot to tell them inflation was 9%.

Got some okra, beans, tomatoes (celebrity, beefsteak, mountain fresh), and lemon basil (because it smells awesome in the garden). I think my wife got some lettuce for some reason. I have seeds for zucchini, beets, sweet peas and some giant okra.

The parking lot was PACKED and they seemed to be out of most beans and a few popular pepper varieties.

My fit bit says I took 25,000 steps today. Much of that was moving compost. Bought a pickup bed full for $27 and put it in the garden and a few spots I need to reseed grass.
How do you like mountain fresh tomatoes.I planted a few last year and my causin planted 40 I couldn’t believe how good they were and perfectly round not like most big ones that look ugly.going To plant 32 .No cages and put straw under.Still plant 16 earl girls for early eating

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
What do you do with so many tomatoes? We do 4 plants each year and they produce more than the 4 of us can eat. Granted, we only eat them fresh. We don’t can or freeze them.
I live by myself but I got four family’s brothers and sisters that live across street and I hunt on there land and they all can plus my neighbor and causin that helps repair motors and things So I guess it’s my suck up garden plus abuot 16 zuccine,Plus friends and family.helps get me in shape for hunting.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Not sure yet. Got them because I thought I had read they were blight resistant. I probably didn't remember correctly.
What I seen on mine and causin that planted whole bunch they are detergent so plants don’t get real big so no cages just put straw around them and takes longer to get them. But I think they are super good for eating and canning pretty meaty and they get big but just as nice and smooth round as early girl.Caning friends love them to.He didn’t have any problems with blight but I had lot with my early girls but not the few mountain grease I planted

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
When to 3 green house today one 16 dollar a flat of 48 tomatoes One that was 16 dollars last year is 24 dollars bad is had to buy there only place I know that sells mountain fresh.And surprise one near my house ilenox twp was 10 last year only raise to 10.50 and they are best one Mose variety of vegetetbles.Where I buy everything except have to buy mountain fresh at the highest price

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Think this will be last year for big garden I give to about 8 families but getting to hard.Got tomatoes planted. 42mountain fresh 16 early girls 4juliets.that just about killed my legs.Still got 45 different peppers 16 zuccines 4 cucumbers and row of beans.I love giving it away people really appreciate it and do a lot for me.But just getting to hard.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Iam fussy I like to do it myself and they all help me in other ways four families across from me all related I am only one they let hunt my neighbor plows garden and snow.my causin helps With any repairs on lawnmower or in house and a brother and sister help with other things.plus the on
es across the street don’t hunt but sometimes help with blinds and food plots. So they do enoughmakes me feel good being able to pay back

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Bummed today the 28th figure I
finish planting zuccines and peppers and cukes and beans next couple days.But got over 2 inch’s of rain yesterday migh be dry enough to plant on memorial day but supposed to get to 90 degrees.so if it does dry up going to have to get out real early because by 11 probaly to hot for this old body.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Made big mistake couple weeks ago saw flat of yellow beans 48 already started 8 in tall so I love yellow beans so bought for 10 dollars though I get beans early.Problem there pole beans Will they still produce without having anything to climb on.I though they were bush

1 - 20 of 105 Posts