Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Ordered some elderberries and two more pear trees. Read that Bartlett pears need a pollinator, we weren’t aware of that when we planted. We do have a wild pear, but we don’t think it’s the right type…
There's a few more pollination charts online if you're looking for compatible pear trees.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Looks good lot of work having a garden but better than sitting in house plus you can’t beat the good eating
Labor of love. I like the rewards but I'm like you in that I give most of it away to friends and neighbors.

I've got a good neighbor who will come by with his tractor and till it up for $30. Saves me a ton of work with the walk behind.

Now just gotta keep up on the weeds and animals for a few weeks and hopefully be all set.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I live in country like you but lots of houses with 2 to five acres.I’ve notice how few people have gardens.Hardly any.Is it same by you
I actually live in the suburbs but moved my garden up north to the hunting property because the neighbor down here likes to feed the chipmunks and squirrels and they just destroy the garden .

The neighbors I know who still garden are getting up there in age with health issues so they've scaled way back and not many younger people seem to have much interest.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I like the hills. Do you mulch? Garden looks great.
Thanks. No mulch, just the various weeds/plants that got tilled into the soil. I like the mounds because they're easier to weed and I keep my walkways clear with a torch. If it seems like some plants aren't getting enough water, I can dig a little reservoir in front of the mound to collect a bit more water since I'm not there full time.

If I had more time in the fall, I'd like to plant winter rye and till that in in the spring.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
A few younger adults have become more interested in the garden club my wife's in this year with grocery prices rising quickly.

My wife is 65 and one of the younger people. The club is hoping the youngsters get hooked and start a generation of gardeners.
I only have 3 friends who garden that are in their early 40s. Two of them it's a toss up whether they have a garden or not, the third has a garden every year and starts plants from seed.

I pretty much just volunteer to grow things for people if they ask since I have the space.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Two more Pear trees. These were bare root, not sure when to prune the lower growth, have to do more research.
View attachment 836134
Prune the trees as soon as you plant them but you can still prune them now.

In the future, you'll want to prune them in late winter/early spring before bud break.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My wife to know how you stake your plants on the mounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
The only thing I plant that needs staking are tomatoes and I use tomato cages for those ( I also use them around peppers too). Typically the cages are sturdy enough but I have had to pound a piece of rebar/conduit in or tie off to the fence. Vining plants like cukes and squash get planted near a fence. It's hard to see but I have a sectioned off section of garden in there surrounded by chicken fence for the plants the animals find extra yummy like beans, peas, beets, kale, cabbage, etc - same deal I plant the climbing beans and peas near the fence.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Trees were bare root - planted this Spring (looked like I planted a stick in the ground). This is all new growth, that’s why I’m not sure if I should prune the lower growth this summer, or just wait until next winter…
I would prune those bottom sprouts off now so the plant can devote more energy to the roots.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Can anyone identify this worm/larva?

View attachment 836179

I've seen a couple of them while digging up sod and turning over the soil. Wasn't sure if they were bad news or beneficial.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Made big mistake couple weeks ago saw flat of yellow beans 48 already started 8 in tall so I love yellow beans so bought for 10 dollars though I get beans early.Problem there pole beans Will they still produce without having anything to climb on.I though they were bush
You'll get better production if they have something to climb. They also become a big tangled mess crawling across the ground.

You can make a cheap trellis with 2 posts and some twine. I grow mostly bush beans but use scrap fencing for climbing types or even old tomato cages.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Looks great never saw a pepper or tomatoe tha big in June.Tell you put lots of work into it,Keep your shot gun handy ground hogs are mostly out in daylight
I had the shotgun but only birdshot to try and remedy a different problem. Going to take the 22 next time.

That woodchuck is sneaky. Only time I see him out and about is when I come back from driving somewhere.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I HATE DEER.
once again, I took a peek at my green beans yesterday and I saw a bunch of little ones. I figured this weekend
I'd be able to pick my first batch. I go out to water the garden this morning and see them SOBs had jumped the fence into the back yard and jumped the fence into my garden. not only did they eat all my bush beans, but then went and trashed my pole beans. :(
I've got a client with a koi pond that swears by these:

He mounts them low to keep the raccoons out of his pond. He liked them so much he bought several more to mount higher for deer and he said it works to keep them out of his hostas. I've been half tempted to buy them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, got the pickle bugs and potato beetles and squash bugs under control now by being vigilante and catching them early. Now we'll see if I can keep the deer out of my beans, lettuce and tomatos with the metal cages. Overall happy with the results so far. View attachment 841024 View attachment 841023 View attachment 841024 View attachment 841025
Your garden looks great.

What do you use for beetle control? I've been getting potato beetles the last couple years.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thanks. As much as I dont want to admit it, I use liquid sevin so I can get into the center of the plant with the spray nozzle and cover the underside of the leaves. Seems to more fatal to the really young larva then when bigger so I made up my mind I was going to inspect each plant for adult beetles and eggs at least every other day and not let them get ahead of me. I dont like to use an indiscriminate pesticide like sevin but dont know of any other way to rid of potato beetles. 😕
I remember as a kid having to pick them by hand.

I've got a couple chemical sprays/powder I've used which have worked just ok. I'm giving retired dundo's corn starch trick a try. If that doesn't work I'm trying dish soap and vinegar.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts