Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 756 Posts

·
48,865 Posts
More okra. Grew it for the first time last year. Grew fantastic and very productive. Great tasting when broiled with olive oil, salt, pepper.

Less hot peppers. Made enough sauce last year for a few years worth of scorched toilet bowls. Maybe grow 1 super hot, a couple habanero and 4-6 giant Jalapeño (for poppers).

No more giant sunflowers. Those 12-15 footers blocked out the sun lol.

More beans and a mouse/rabbit extermination plan.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Wider rows and less veggies from that. Have my landscape fabric I have been using a few years, I'll use the width of those and throw straw on top with some rocks and logs here and there for wind.

In May our youngest will be 9 months old and I don't know how much time we will have to take care of it. So less weeding because of the fabric should help the veggies do better.

Probably gonna just stick to my best producers, potatoes, corn, beans, tomatoes, squash. I ussually do half my garden with those and half with stuff I don't eat much of or just want to try like pumpkins, watermelons, carrots, cabbage, and a few others. Still gonna plant those things if I have room but not gonna be mad if we don't get a chance this year, can do it next year.

Hopefully have better corn next year. But we had enough for fresh corn on the cob for several meals and froze a bit.

Plant People in nature Flower Leaf Botany

One of our better harvest days last year.

Food Tableware Rangpur Ingredient Dishware

Hopefully get a good garden again this year, getting ready for it in my head.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The youngest and I are going to try making our own hot sauce this year. Besides that, just the staples to make our own salsa and enjoy a cucumber, tomato and onion salad. Ordered Walla Walla onions earlier this week. Looking forward to seeing how they produce here.

Our garden isn’t large, quite the opposite actually, (6’x24’). It amazes me every year how much produce we can get out of that small of an area.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Because of back issues, I switched from the conventional garden to 6- 30 x 84 raised beds. The yields have been excellent and the weeding is pretty much non existent. They do need to be watered everyday but thats no an issue. I grow mostly carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and in one bed last season, onions and potatoes.
Food Plant Green Natural foods Gesture
Food Plant Ingredient Natural foods Staple food
Plant Window Meyer lemon Citrus Sky
Plant Sky Terrestrial plant Agriculture Vegetable
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Natural foods
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant Annual plant
Food Plant Plum tomato Fruit Cherry Tomatoes

·
Registered
476 Posts
My son has always been into doing vegetable gardens, the last 2 years he’s had a 12’x12’ area to plant a few things in. A couple weeks ago I bought a new tiller and I’m putting in a 30’x50’ garden for him to go crazy in. We’ve already mapped out what we’re putting in and where. Asparagus, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers (pickling and salad), cantaloupe, watermelon, and green beans. My sweet potatoes I’ll continue to do in my containers. I’ve used 55 gallon drums the last few years and I’m finally nailing down the recipe for best growth.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
My son has always been into doing vegetable gardens, the last 2 years he’s had a 12’x12’ area to plant a few things in. A couple weeks ago I bought a new tiller and I’m putting in a 30’x50’ garden for him to go crazy in. We’ve already mapped out what we’re putting in and where. Asparagus, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers (pickling and salad), cantaloupe, watermelon, and green beans. My sweet potatoes I’ll continue to do in my containers. I’ve used 55 gallon drums the last few years and I’m finally nailing down the recipe for best growth.
I do all my potatoes in containers. I feel I lose some yield but they are much more manageable.

·
Registered
666 Posts
This was my first attempt at portable patio tomatoes. I have way to many trees to make a stationary garden work anymore so we decided to make a portable garden. This year we are thinking about expanding to more carts with different veggies.

Plant Tire Wheel Botany Tree

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 15' x 15" raised garden except for tomatos which I plant in the ground. I water my garden via my underground sprinkler system. How often do you guys water your garden? I plant beans, squash, peppers and the tomatos. Thank you and good luck.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I have a 15' x 15" raised garden except for tomatos which I plant in the ground. I water my garden via my underground sprinkler system. How often do you guys water your garden? I plant beans, squash, peppers and the tomatos. Thank you and good luck.
Kind of depends. During hot dry periods every other day. I try to mulch most things so that I can water everything real good and go on a weeks fishing trip and be ok.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Iam doing away with most tomatoe cages.Getting to hard for me so only planting about 16 early girls and 6 juliets and grapes around the edges deer love them and than usually don’t bother rest of tomatoes in middle.And than about 36 mountain spring they dont need cages but are late season and get big like softball perfect shape like early girl and super good tasting and great for canning and 16 zuccines and about 40 pepper plants I give 90percent away to people that let me hunt and park for ice fishing and causin that helps me with any repairs around house.And family people call it my suck up garden and they are right

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
That’s great to have teenager that likes gardening wish I hah one to help

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
More jalapeños and pickles. I’m having more and more people wanting my pickles. Sooo good. But will continue with beans, tomatoes, winter squash and carrots. My wife also have 4 planter boxes on deck which she does all herbs. She starts drying as soon as possible. Can’t wait. My ground is way to wet to till. Need it to dry out some.

1 - 20 of 756 Posts