Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
First off, CWAC just worked out our recommendations. The NRC ultimately decides the seasons and they also take into consideration the DNR Waterfowl Workgroups recommendations which, BTW, are different this year because we strayed from their original recommendations.
Usually CWAC sends a recommendation mirroring the Waterfowl Workgroup's recommendation. The DNR Waterfowl Workgroup can alter their final recommendation to meet CWAC's and I believe they will do that as our recommendation for goose was pretty good by most accounts. The important thing was we didn't pull days out of September for our goose recommendation.
Late goose will basically be split if it flies, start Jan. 1 and run till Jan. 9th then I believe it was Feb. 5-13 (don't quote me).

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
First off, CWAC just worked out our recommendations. The NRC ultimately decides the seasons and they also take into consideration the DNR Waterfowl Workgroups recommendations which, BTW, are different this year because we strayed from their original recommendations.
Usually CWAC sends a recommendation mirroring the Waterfowl Workgroup's recommendation. The DNR Waterfowl Workgroup can alter their final recommendation to meet CWAC's and I believe they will do that as our recommendation for goose was pretty good by most accounts. The important thing was we didn't pull days out of September for our goose recommendation.
Late goose will basically be split if it flies, start Jan. 1 and run till Jan. 9th then I believe it was Feb. 5-13 (don't quote me).
It seems like what’s agreed on at CWAC almost always ends up being so.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Again thanks LOBRASS and CRAIG. appreciate the rundown.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wish we could get more info from the waterfowl work group on some of these decisions. There was a good suggestion on the table to make the South zone split like the North and Middle zone. 2 week break and then a 2 day split. In order to vote on that, it would be nice to know how many guys would use Dec 18/19 dates as opposed to Jan 1/2. You hear a lot on the waterfowl sites (like this one) about later days, but it can be assumed that these pages represent die hard enthusiasts. What do the "regular" waterfowlers want? I spent time at boat launches on Fremont lake, Big Whitefish lake, Hardy pond and Croton pond during the split afternoons. The hunters there, basically to a man, told me they normally have no place to go as the boat launches are frozen over, but this year with warm fall weather and a delayed freeze, they got out and did well.

Same for geese. What I hear in my area is that guys are confused as to why the split isn't all January days. The geese leave this area of the state by late January. The SE and far South CWAC reps hear that the hunters want February dates. What was agreed on yesterday was a great compromise, that now sorta gives an extra opening day for late season. Dates in January for the Northern and western parts of the zone, and February dates for the SE and South guys. Same number of weekend days if I'm not mistaken. At some point, it would be nice to know if the majority of hunters are happy with this change? Did that change result in increased participation?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Zone 3 split date is in question this year.

Which option do you like?

1. Dec. 25 and 26. Obvious conflict for many.

2. Dec. 26 and 27. (Sun, Mon) I am not a fan.

3. Jan. 1 and 2. Problem here is some refuge areas open to the public and some anticipate conflict with other refuge users. Likely limited conflict, IMO.

Or.............

May I suggest Dec. 18 and 19. Nearly 2 weeks from regular close and less likely to have hard water.

Let me hear you.
January 1-2

·
Registered
471 Posts
I do not see a problem keeping these together. Would you rather split it into even more special hunt weekends before regular season?
No I would rather see NO special seasons of any kind, add all the special seasons to the regular season for everyone.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Im not sure who CWAC is but I believe I attended one of their meetings in Gaylord, fall 2019. There were DNR reps and about 25 big time MI duck hunters. They talked about the various seasons and what worked, what didnt, what should be tried and when they voted to agree DNR said OK. Sounded like those agreements would be good for at least 2 duck seasons, fall 2020 and 2021.

Pizza/salad was excellent.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I followed the entire Meeting. I was the one who mentioned to you guys that the middle zone needs to have the BB limits the same as the south zone now that the Saginaw Bay is in the middle zone.

Boy, hammering out the late split for goose sure was a chore. Haha
Oh t
I followed the entire Meeting. I was the one who mentioned to you guys that the middle zone needs to have the BB limits the same as the south zone now that the Saginaw Bay is in the middle zone.

Boy, hammering out the late split for goose sure was a chore. Haha
Craig, Thank you for your input yesterday during the meeting. I think that was a good change and it did not seem to bother Northern MI hunters in the middle zone. And the south goose zone change should please both east and west hunters. It better it was they who proposed it!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Im not sure who CWAC is but I believe I attended one of their meetings in Gaylord, fall 2019. There were DNR reps and about 25 big time MI duck hunters. They talked about the various seasons and what worked, what didnt, what should be tried and when they voted to agree DNR said OK. Sounded like those agreements would be good for at least 2 duck seasons, fall 2020 and 2021.

Pizza/salad was excellent.
Chuck, the CWAC stands for Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee. We are a group of citizens that is chosen to represent either an area or organization helping the MI DNR set waterfowl regulations. Each member is to solicit ideas and preferences from their region or organization and represent them at this meeting. After we present our recommendations to the DNR at that meeting that information is then forwarded to the NRC for their final approval. I have attached a link here with more information on the group and our contact list. If any of you are interested you can also fill out an application for your area in the future and become a member.
DNR - Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee (michigan.gov)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Chuck, the CWAC stands for Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee. We are a group of citizens that is chosen to represent either an area or organization helping the MI DNR set waterfowl regulations. Each member is to solicit ideas and preferences from their region or organization and represent them at this meeting. After we present our recommendations to the DNR at that meeting that information is then forwarded to the NRC for their final approval. I have attached a link here with more information on the group and our contact list. If any of you are interested you can also fill out an application for your area in the future and become a member.
DNR - Citizens Waterfowl Advisory Committee (michigan.gov)
To follow up on this, there sometimes are not many applicants for the 'at large' positions. So if you're interested and willing to commit to some pretty minor time commitments and accountability, you've got a decent shot at being selected.

·
Registered
691 Posts
To follow up on this, there sometimes are not many applicants for the 'at large' positions. So if you're interested and willing to commit to some pretty minor time commitments and accountability, you've got a decent shot at being selected.
Yes and if you go to the link I posted earlier it shows each zone and the person who is currently representing it. There are [ ] tabs behind their name. The date in it is when their term ends. If there is no date they have no term limit. However the DNR can reappoint them if they wish.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Aren’t you a real peach. How is this hurting you in anyway other than jealousy?
Jeaslousy you're so funny because it is ridiculous why are veterans so special they are adults just like cops and firefighters do they need a special season too.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts