Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Zone 3 split date is in question this year.

Which option do you like?

1. Dec. 25 and 26. Obvious conflict for many.

2. Dec. 26 and 27. (Sun, Mon) I am not a fan.

3. Jan. 1 and 2. Problem here is some refuge areas open to the public and some anticipate conflict with other refuge users. Likely limited conflict, IMO.

Or.............

May I suggest Dec. 18 and 19. Nearly 2 weeks from regular close and less likely to have hard water.

Let me hear you.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I like it. Never thought of that option. Good chance the SW guys will have a lot more open water Dec 18-19
Pretty sure they tried moving it up years back and it was not liked.

Hard water isn’t really a bad thing. It concentrates the birds. Open water everywhere spreads the birds out. Our best years in the late season is when there’s ice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Zone 3 split date is in question this year.

Which option do you like?

1. Dec. 25 and 26. Obvious conflict for many.

2. Dec. 26 and 27. (Mon, Tues) I am not a fan.

3. Jan. 1 and 2. Problem here is some refuge areas open to the public and some anticipate conflict with other refuge users. Likely limited conflict, IMO.

Or.............

May I suggest Dec. 18 and 19. Nearly 2 weeks from regular close and less likely to have hard water.

Let me hear you.
Option 2 December 26-27 is a Sunday and Monday, not Monday and Tuesday. Not ideal, but wouldn't be terrible. Would definitely prefer this over December 18-19.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Option 2 December 26-27 is a Sunday and Monday, not Monday and Tuesday. Not ideal, but wouldn't be terrible. Would definitely prefer this over December 18-19.
Thank you for the correction!!

Sunday and Monday is the option 2.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I've always though wasting a split on 2 days makes no sense. 9 days would be great - 2 weekends and the week between. Or a 9 day early season. Or 5 days. Whatever. I don't have the stomach or energy for lobbying anymore though. If it's going to stay at 2 days, the Saturday closest to 1/1.
I would be on board with a front loaded split.

In general a long late split would be pointless.

·
Super Moderator
3,241 Posts
me personally I would be all in for a 9 day January split... but I also realize that is a selfish wish since where I would hunt and how is only good for a few....

there is a large investment to be a waterfowl hunter.... that investment doubles or maybe even triples for late season hunting....

with that said I would say earlier split is better for the masses.... and hopefully Ontario is back on the books for 21/22 season....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts