Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
glad you had an amazing hunt. way better than that last one. :p
I now have both ends of the success spectrum at Shiawassee. Standing in a dirty ice water bath for hours for a zero on the previous trip made this one even sweeter.

Need to pick up one of those gun stands. Steve loaned me his extra. Worked pretty sweet.

As an added bonus met Wallis at the draw.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Total clown show in 60 this morning, non-stop (bad) calling, mojos(!), hunting from their boat, setup on the very end of the strip and was shooting towards the access channel. total clown show. holy hell. We had seen/heard enough and decided to pack up early. We stopped by their strip on our way out and told them their mojo's weren't allowed. Probably put them back out after we left. should have just slept in today.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Total clown show in 60 this morning, non-stop (bad) calling, mojos(!), hunting from their boat, setup on the very end of the strip and was shooting towards the access channel. total clown show. holy hell. We had seen/heard enough and decided to pack up early. We stopped by their strip on our way out and told them their mojo's weren't allowed. Probably put them back out after we left. should have just slept in today.
call them in. won't have any mojo's left to use.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I now have both ends of the success spectrum at Shiawassee. Standing in a dirty ice water bath for hours for a zero on the previous trip made this one even sweeter.

Need to pick up one of those gun stands. Steve loaned me his extra. Worked pretty sweet.

As an added bonus met Wallis at the draw.
It was good meeting you fellas too. That was a good day, that was the first good draw I’ve had all year. Usually I’m at the bottom.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I’m for banning them in wetland wonders where you already have plenty of artificial attractions. On natural waters they can make a big difference in drawing attention to your spread. No doubt it’s a problem when someone nearby has one and sky busts everything that takes a look. Some of those ducks will swing your way though if they don’t get busted. On the other hand, when you’ve got the marsh to yourself or plenty of room they’re good for catching eyes from far away. When I can I like to set a spinner with a couple floaters around it a hundred yards or so away. It brings ducks in and they seem more inclined to work the dekes in front of me after skirting the spinner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I never heard of a spinning-wing decoy until about, what; 1990 or so? Did nobody ever kill ducks in fields prior to that? I really don't have any first-hand opinion on the matter, never having hunted in the presence of a spinner and never having hunted ducks in a dry field. It just seems odd that it would now be a requirement.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I never heard of a spinning-wing decoy until about, what; 1990 or so? Did nobody ever kill ducks in fields prior to that? I really don't have any first-hand opinion on the matter, never having hunted in the presence of a spinner and never having hunted ducks in a dry field. It just seems odd that it would now be a requirement.
actually prior to 95' field hunting wasn't a very big thing. goose, yes. but ducks were a byproduct most of the time. field layout blinds and spinners showed up about same timeframe. opened whole new world of field hunting.

prior to that it was homemade burlap frames. i used to cart floaters out in field and place them. without a spinner it was pretty hard to decoy a flock of 200 birds....once the little tornado start, birds would just do what they wanted. spinners made them spin you first.

i'm not anti-spinner. I'm anti-spinner in managed units corn. they are an absolute must in dry field.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Spinners have their time as well. Mine get put away 3 weeks into the season. Even then, they are only used until it’s light enough for the ducks to recognize what they are. The public water ducks we hunt get robo shy very quick. And, if you are hunting birds that are hanging around for a while, forget it. Ducks learn what they are.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Fields are a different story, pretty unlikely to have multiple groups of hunters in one. I guess that’s my rule of thumb: when a spinner might ruin flights decoying to someone else, leave it at home. I can ruin my own hunt easily enough don’t need any help.

Speaking of spooking birds. My glasses have UV protective coating. All the info I can find just says it blocks UV from getting to your eyes. I guess it could absorb it but it seems like reflecting UV is more likely. Am I shining two bright blue flashlights at incoming ducks? They seem to be flaring more this year and I did get new glasses this summer.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Spinners took off around 1998. Somewhere in there. I grew up hunting ducks in dry fields in Jackson and Calhoun county. No spinners were ever needed. We had amazing hunts. Now they are a “requirement”. It wouldn’t hurt me one bit to do away with them. Regardless of whatever effectiveness they have in dry land.

121 - 140 of 195 Posts