Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went to the draw for the first time last Friday (11/12). I drew 44th out of 52 parties and still had an absolute blast. The hunters I chatted with at the launch were very helpful in pointing me towards my zone. I saw birds all afternoon. They preferred the zones around me, but I was still able to get a pintail and green wing over my spread and killed both (y). What a special place. I'll be back every chance I get.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
2nd trip ever to Shiawassee was something special. Can't say thank you enough to Far Beyond Driven, Sampson's Owner and Sampson's Owner's son for the trip and great company. It took Shiawassee, a crew of friends, and a borrowed Browning BPS (after the owner had collected his four greenheads) to make it happen. But I finally collected my first limit of Mallards at a Wetland Wonder. I had did it on State Land, but never at the draws.

Now...I'm on the prowl for a Sport Boat/Square Stern Canoe/Alumacraft 1436 LT. I have the mud motor and trailer already.

Sampson's Owner collected a spectacular prime Black Duck (plus some mallards). Landed in FBD's $90 a half dozen decoys. When I say right in, I mean it might have been rubbing the decoys trying to get lucky. As we're waiting for it to clear the blocks BOOOOOM. It was awesome.

Broke my second shotgun in three days. FBD loans me the BPS as he's got his Mallards. And then we proceed to work Blacks and Pintails. Plus a layup on a Goose that I miss with his gun. The sigh was epic. I'm not sure I'm ever gonna live that down.

Part of the joy of waterfowling. These are the little stories that make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
2nd trip ever to Shiawassee was something special. Can't say thank you enough to Far Beyond Driven, Sampson's Owner and Sampson's Owner's son for the trip and great company. It took Shiawassee, a crew of friends, and a borrowed Browning BPS (after the owner had collected his four greenheads) to make it happen. But I finally collected my first limit of Mallards at a Wetland Wonder. I had did it on State Land, but never at the draws.

Now...I'm on the prowl for a Sport Boat/Square Stern Canoe/Alumacraft 1436 LT. I have the mud motor and trailer already.

Sampson's Owner collected a spectacular prime Black Duck (plus some mallards). Landed in FBD's $90 a half dozen decoys. When I say right in, I mean it might have been rubbing the decoys trying to get lucky. As we're waiting for it to clear the blocks BOOOOOM. It was awesome.

Broke my second shotgun in three days. FBD loans me the BPS as he's got his Mallards. And then we proceed to work Blacks and Pintails. Plus a layup on a Goose that I miss with his gun. The sigh was epic. I'm not sure I'm ever gonna live that down.

Part of the joy of waterfowling. These are the little stories that make it worthwhile.
glad you had an amazing hunt. way better than that last one. :p

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
FOR THE RECORD I ONLY SWATTED THE BLACK DUCK BECAUSE SOMEONES GUN WENT CLICK. LOL Upon my inspection no decoys were harmed. Kevin let me know if you find any damage. I may be ordering 6 of those Avian swimmers as I like the look. What a great day. STEVE

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
FOR THE RECORD I ONLY SWATTED THE BLACK DUCK BECAUSE SOMEONES GUN WENT CLICK. LOL Upon my inspection no decoys were harmed. Kevin let me know if you find any damage. I may be ordering 6 of those Avian swimmers as I like the look. What a great day. STEVE
Man I was hoping to skip over the fact/rewrite history that the Black Duck was so gorgeous I was fully prepared to pay for any collateral decoy damages as well LOL.

There's always an emergency $100 bill on hand. I'm swatting this Black Duck. I'll pay for the decoys if I have to.

Click.

And then Steve scored the perfect Blackie.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I didn't even pick up my gun so I got no dog in the fight.

Now had you popped one of my hand carved corkers, we'd have a side bar chat, but all's good.

101 - 120 of 195 Posts