Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Back row south prior looks terrible with those dirt mounds out there. The birds avoid those zones like the plague.
well as long as you know why they are there and how it couldn't be avoided...then ok. p.s. zone chooser shoulda known they were there, he had options.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
here's my retriever that i got from the pound last year doin the retrieve. definitely slower on the way in than the way out but i'll take it. he was free, still untrained refurb waterfowl dog. lol. he knows how to sit...and sometimes stays when told, breaks often. other than that he just hunts. sometimes i yell at him while hes running around. :p @fsamie1 take note how there isn't a feather out of place after a 60 yrd retrieve....

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
How many parties have been at the draws this week? I'm thinking I may try my luck Thursday or Friday. Chances at ducks have been few and far between for me so far this season. I'm hoping to get my young dog on a few feathers. And yes she has had a bit of training.;)

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
How many parties have been at the draws this week? I'm thinking I may try my luck Thursday or Friday. Chances at ducks have been few and far between for me so far this season. I'm hoping to get my young dog on a few feathers. And yes she has had a bit of training.;)
20+ in morning
30+ in evening.

all fields are open and have 6" or more (high ends of fields). most have 12" to 20" in them.

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
20+ in morning
30+ in evening.

all fields are open and have 6" or more (high ends of fields). most have 12" to 20" in them.
Weekly Managed Waterfowl Area Manager’s Update

Use this as the weekly data reporting form. Submit this form to Eric Hilliard each Monday.
Submit all forms electronically. Information will be posted weekly on
www.michigan.gov/wetlandwonders .
Area name: Shiawassee River State Game Area

Staff person submitting report: Victor Weigold

Last week in review: cooler wet weather this week has brought more birds to the area. Number
of parties in the draw this week ranged from 8 parties to 50 parties
Weather wet and cooler
Waterfowl abundance refuge count this week to 5594 ducks with 753 geese. If the
refuge count was today there would be a significant increase in the numbers.

Hunting conditions: all fields are now harvested and are flooded with at least 6 inches of
water in the shallowest parts of the field. Big kudos to Bob Walker for finishing up harvest
despite the muddy field conditions.

Hunter numbers: have been low for the beginning of the week with a low of 8 parties,
party size increased over the weekend with 50 parties for todays afternoon draw.

Waterfowl harvest: harvest this week is up to 2400 ducks and 316 geese. With 1648
hunter trips. The average of 1.46 ducks per hunter trip and 1.65 birds per hunter trip.

What to expect this week: cooler temps with cloudy conditions forecasted for the upcoming
week.

Upcoming events on Saturday November 6 th youth priority p.m. draw.

Other comments: this week we finally are seeing a good push of new birds to the area. Mallard
numbers are up significantly. It was good to see the bee hive of birds coming into the fields after
shooting hours.

·
Registered
183 Posts
After hunting tonight my boy and I were paddling our kayaks in and when we got to the other side of the corn my boy says what are those? I look and 12 deer in single file are walking across the water and into the middle of the corn strip in our zone. I have seen plenty of deer before but never a group like that crossing 2 to 3 foot of water going into a zone. Also had a huge bald eagle going over our head to start our hunt. We drew in bad but heard a lot of shots and watched a few zones miss around us. Always fun to hang with my boy!

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
After hunting tonight my boy and I were paddling our kayaks in and when we got to the other side of the corn my boy says what are those? I look and 12 deer in single file are walking across the water and into the middle of the corn strip in our zone. I have seen plenty of deer before but never a group like that crossing 2 to 3 foot of water going into a zone. Also had a huge bald eagle going over our head to start our hunt. We drew in bad but heard a lot of shots and watched a few zones miss around us. Always fun to hang with my boy!
i've seen the biggest bucks out there...in the flooded corn.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Whelp, decided to hunt shi this week for the first time this season. showed up at the draw yesterday morning not realizing it was Veterans Day. Oops. Next time I'll be sure to check the calendar first!

Had to wait for the Vet draw to take place and then got in the stand-bye drawing. only 26 parties total between both draws, so not bad.

should of easily had a couple more, but can't complain too much. Corn is in good shape this year and the new BAC's are great. Just need to get rid of those dirt mounds, but I'm sure that will be done before next season.

Wood Branch Twig Trunk Arecales

Bird Botany Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

Camouflage Military camouflage Beak Feather Grass

81 - 100 of 195 Posts