Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Opening morning at Shiawassee was very good for us. Got a great draw and a favorite spot that we have hunted a few other openers. Fog rolled in right at shooting time and it made for some tough shooting as the birds were already on top of you when you saw them. Once it cleared off we started having better luck. Ended up with 4 wood ducks and 3 geese and our first ever Spoonie. Also got our first ever band on one of the woodies. Two years old and banded in Saginaw. Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT or PSA.
They have dug Boat Access Channels, or BAC's, in some of the units to better access the fields from either end. As you walk in they are well marked and easy to cross on the two track it just came up to my waist so good to tuck in your coat. However in the zones, the edges of these are very steep and again about waist deep. I'm 5ft 7in for a reference. We were in the South Prior unit opening morning and these ditches are cut about 20 to 30 feet into the duck opening on the south side of the strip in each zone. There is also mounds of dirt about 40 feet out into the decoy opening.

My guess is that these are on the North side of the North Prior road zones but this only a guess. I hope this helps save some issues especially when it gets colder out. Steve
I took a pic.... Looks like the even numbers do not have BAC's. Can anyone confirm?
Font Parallel Transparency Machine Rectangle

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I took a pic.... Looks like the even numbers do not have BAC's. Can anyone confirm? View attachment 791920
deep end of the field, not needed as much. years ago when my dad worked for dnr he cut paths into the east end already...just small depressions so we didn't hang up on entrance. the west ends are about 12" higher grade so they needed actual ditches put in which is what your seeing this year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Funny enough with Shiawassee, Fred Trost's kid just uploaded an old Michigan Outdoor episode where he went to Shiawassee. I was expecting to see the Kid, his dad, or Brian on there lol. Looked like Fred was hunting off Prior Rd.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Funny enough with Shiawassee, Fred Trost's kid just uploaded an old Michigan Outdoor episode where he went to Shiawassee. I was expecting to see the Kid, his dad, or Brian on there lol. Looked like Fred was hunting off Prior Rd.
i was in the field in front of him that episode. fred was in the old 54 middle north field(old numbers) and i was in 56 (north-east field). most of my kills were used in his editing. :) they did not shoot that many birds. we shot a 3man limit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i was in the field in front of him that episode. fred was in the old 48 middle north field(old numbers) and i was in 50 (north-east field). most of my kills were used in his editing. :) they did not shoot that many birds. we shot a 3man limit.
Nothing wrong with that. It still got the point across to "get outdoors, it's a great place to be!"

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Word on the street us hunting is super slow. Should pick up this weekend. NQP picked up fresh birds and the hunting there picked up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Word on the street us hunting is super slow. Should pick up this weekend. NQP picked up fresh birds and the hunting there picked up.
Hunting is slow because instead of stealth and being motionless, we're slapping mosquitos and flaring ducks! Maybe the thunderstorms will help? 😁
I was at NQP today and the guy told me that it's slow there too. Waiting for a cold push to bring more birds. There were 12 parties, all hunting the corn.

I got the chance to be dead last out of the SRSGA the other evening due to some technical difficulties. By the time I made it back to the parking lot, it was empty. While in the marsh, in the dark, I made an observation. There were so many ducks that it looked like a National Geographic television show. When they flew in unison, it was amazing! While these birds were in the water though, they were noisy. I've often thought that maybe all the calling in a section might be scaring ducks instead of enticing them. At one point, I listened to all the ducks and imagined that fields were still full of hunting parties - it really didn't sound too awful different! So my theory of scaring the ducks off with all sorts of calling went down the tubes. I don't want technical difficulties again, but that experience was REALLY COOL!

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hunting is slow because instead of stealth and being motionless, we're slapping mosquitos and flaring ducks! Maybe the thunderstorms will help? 😁
I was at NQP today and the guy told me that it's slow there too. Waiting for a cold push to bring more birds. There were 12 parties, all hunting the corn.

I got the chance to be dead last out of the SRSGA the other evening due to some technical difficulties. By the time I made it back to the parking lot, it was empty. While in the marsh, in the dark, I made an observation. There were so many ducks that it looked like a National Geographic television show. When they flew in unison, it was amazing! While these birds were in the water though, they were noisy. I've often thought that maybe all the calling in a section might be scaring ducks instead of enticing them. At one point, I listened to all the ducks and imagined that fields were still full of hunting parties - it really didn't sound too awful different! So my theory of scaring the ducks off with all sorts of calling went down the tubes. I don't want technical difficulties again, but that experience was REALLY COOL!
we have a lot of birds here right now. wouldn't know it unless you sit in prior or 40's after dark and waited for them to show up. :)

we need weather.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
weekly update from manager Vic.

Weekly Managed Waterfowl Area Manager’s Update

Use this as the weekly data reporting form. Submit this form to Eric Hilliard each Monday.
Submit all forms electronically. Information will be posted weekly on
www.michigan.gov/wetlandwonders .
Area name: Shiawassee River State Game Area

Staff person submitting report: Victor Weigold

Last week in review: last weeks warm weather didn’t help with ducks numbers. Had rain most
of the week. Temperatures range from 82 degrees to 58 degrees.
Weather (note any significant weather events): rainfall all week largest amount 2.5
inches (3 inches total)

Waterfowl abundance refuge count showed 3,750 ducks in the refuge. Numbers
increased slightly from last week.

Hunting conditions: all field with the exception of 1-4 and the 30’s are now flooded
with at least 6 inches of water and as much as 18 in others.

Hunter numbers: for the reserved hunt period we filled up to 40 parties for both days.
Draw sizes have been low due to the lack of duck harvest.

Waterfowl harvest: hunters did well this past weekend harvesting 653 ducks, 96 geese
over 472 trips. Averaging 1.58 birds per hunter trip.

What to expect this week: hopefully cooler temps for the upcoming week will help with duck
migration.

Upcoming events remember this upcoming weekend October 16 th and 17 th are preregistered
hunts (total of 40 parties each hunt). (think he means 55 parties for this weekend )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hunting conditions: all field with the exception of 1-4 and the 40’s are now flooded
with at least 6 inches of water and as much as 18 in others.
I thought the 30s were dry and the 40s were flooded?

·
Registered
56 Posts
KFI AS-50W 5000lb.
Well, she jumped her first dike in the SRSGA. It was slow but steady. I will throw in three pieces of PVC to help roll it next time though. I needed a tow strap (glad I threw one in!) as the 50' rope wasn't long enough to go from the boat, up and down the dike, and then to the post in the water. Wireless remote worked great! The boat was a tad too long so I had to muscle the last couple feet into the drink, but I might have stopped the tug too early in my excitement.
Being a lone hunter, I am a tad apprehensive getting too far back in. Hunting the 30s requires two pulls (I think) and the 40s just one. Either way, it'd be a LONG walk back if things went bad and I had to leave the boat there overnight!
I'm sure I'll get braver as the season goes on :D

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
KFI AS-50W 5000lb.
Well, she jumped her first dike in the SRSGA. It was slow but steady. I will throw in three pieces of PVC to help roll it next time though. I needed a tow strap (glad I threw one in!) as the 50' rope wasn't long enough to go from the boat, up and down the dike, and then to the post in the water. Wireless remote worked great! The boat was a tad too long so I had to muscle the last couple feet into the drink, but I might have stopped the tug too early in my excitement.
Being a lone hunter, I am a tad apprehensive getting too far back in. Hunting the 30s requires two pulls (I think) and the 40s just one. Either way, it'd be a LONG walk back if things went bad and I had to leave the boat there overnight!

View attachment 792220
needs a lewis. then their is no failures when u go 2.5mi in

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
KFI AS-50W 5000lb.

View attachment 792220
One pull for the 30’s if you take the river.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts