Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
2021 SRSGA DAILY DRAWING - REGISTRATION CARD PROCEDURE

(After Driving through to pick up your registration card)
1. Party leaders are responsible for turning in the top copy of their completed registration card PRIOR TO THE DRAWING.
2. Party leaders will place their numbered registration card top copy into the corresponding numbered slot on the slotted card rack, located inside the building, with numbers 1 through 100.
3. Find the slot corresponding to your registration card number and place the top copy facing toward you with the party number visible.
4. The computer randomized draw will be announced and shown on a 70” video monitor next to the drive through entrance (see photo).
5. Zone selection will take place using the same drive through process as last year.
6. Parties who decide to pass in the draw can retain their registration card and select a leftover zone after the draw is complete.
heard it was changed to the bottom (thick) copy of your card to be turned back in. Mainly because the new rack i built to hold cards needs be stiff to sit in the slots correctly.

last year cards were drawn old fashion way out of tumbler...this year they will put our cards into organized slot in order.....then a random computer sheet drawing will take place. organized slots in order will allow them to pluck your cards from it easily as you approach to pick your spot.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
How was the opener up there? Dan, did you make the same mistake Fred made a couple years ago today? The evening before that zone was loaded. The next morning nothing? Lol. That’s when I learned that zone is really best in the pm! Unless you get some weather!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I had a great time out there yesterday morning. This was the first time I've applied for a draw and somehow got lucky enough to win a slot for opening morning.

The hunting wasn't "hot" but given the fog, warm temps, and lack of wind I wasn't really expecting it to be. We shot a few single ducks that came in, a single goose, and dropped a 4 pack of geese that did it perfectly. It felt great to be "big duck" hunting again and back at Shiawassee. It's been a couple years since I've been able to make it over there. Making a nice shot on my first duck of the season didn't hurt either. My shooting is all downhill from here. Lol. We ended with 3 wood ducks, 1 mallard hen, and 5 geese. The dogs had fun and so did we!

Dog Dog breed Working animal Water Carnivore

·
Registered
269 Posts
please use this thread to share/talk about SRSGA and surrounding areas and conditions. Please leave zone #'s out of the success/unsuccessful conversations please. keep it conditions, access info and hunt pics if you would.

2021 OPENING DAY FLOODING CONDITIONS 10/7/21
  • 1-4: Dry (sharecropper has not harvested the soybeans)
  • 6-8: Flooded 6-12” deep across entire field (no mowed openings)
  • 9-14: Flooded 6-18” deep (9 is the shallow zone)
  • 15-22: River marshes (wind and rain dependent)
  • 23-28: Full pool marsh unit (center zones are deepest)
  • 29: Full pool marsh unit
  • 30-38: Dry (partially harvested soybeans)
  • 39-46: Flooded 6-36” deep (39 is the shallow zone) BACs in 39,40,41,43,45, &46
  • 49-50: Shallow marsh / moist soil unit 12-24” deep
  • 53-54: Beaver impoundment 6-36” deep
  • 55-60: Flooded 6-24” deep (55 is the shallow zone) BACs in 55,57, &59
  • 61-66: Flooded 6-24 deep (61 is the shallow zone) BACs in 61,63, &65
  • 67-76: Full pool marsh 12-36” deep
  • 77-117: Flooded woods 6-48” deep (currently in flood stage)
137-150: Marsh / moist soil 6-30” deep (rookery)

special note - warning Flooded woods is DEEP. beware. will be high throughout the weekend due to heavy rains previous.

View attachment 790908
Hello Shi-Kid, Maybe you or another member can answer my question. I still would like to fish the Cass river in my Kayak using the M-13 launch and heading East,(upstream). I know that it's a huge waterfowl hunting area. Should I avoid fishing this area now? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. I don't want to interrupt anyone's hunting, and don't want to be run over by a boat...I haven't had any bad experiences recently. But I've heard it gets crazy during hunting season. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a great time out there yesterday morning. This was the first time I've applied for a draw and somehow got lucky enough to win a slot for opening morning.

The hunting wasn't "hot" but given the fog, warm temps, and lack of wind I wasn't really expecting it to be. We shot a few single ducks that came in, a single goose, and dropped a 4 pack of geese that did it perfectly. It felt great to be "big duck" hunting again and back at Shiawassee. It's been a couple years since I've been able to make it over there. Making a nice shot on my first duck of the season didn't hurt either. My shooting is all downhill from here. Lol. We ended with 3 wood ducks, 1 mallard hen, and 5 geese. The dogs had fun and so did we!

View attachment 791424
did you hear us yell for ya after u dropped the 4 pack? lol

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello Shi-Kid, Maybe you or another member can answer my question. I still would like to fish the Cass river in my Kayak using the M-13 launch and heading East,(upstream). I know that it's a huge waterfowl hunting area. Should I avoid fishing this area now? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. I don't want to interrupt anyone's hunting, and don't want to be run over by a boat...I haven't had any bad experiences recently. But I've heard it gets crazy during hunting season. Thanks gang.
nope, absolutely fine. just don't paddle into someones decoys casting, lol. duck hunters aren't quiet so you should see them pretty easily.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Automotive tire Carnivore Tire Working animal Dog

Draw 22/32 got our first pick. Conditions were not what we expected. Improvised, then adapted, maybe even overcame. Final tally was 5 woodues (one got away), teal, mallard, pintail, and two geese shot point blank.

Great time with a couple characters from here. Thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Haha! I did! Man, I love it when geese work like that. We were rooting for you throughout the morning too! Lol

That's the first time I've been in that area. Pretty cool!
yeah haven't hunted in there in a few years. i brought my good chair and just kicked back in the blind and enjoyed the show. lotsa geese flying.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is a tree blocking most of the channel between Wahl Rd parking lot and the 9-14 pullover. Can someone just take care of it? Or can that cause issues?

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There is a tree blocking most of the channel between Wahl Rd parking lot and the 9-14 pullover. Can someone just take care of it? Or can that cause issues?
2 ways to handle.

1. just move it and don't say anything.
2. call and get permission because usually doing anything on the flats requires a work permit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sunday PM hunt - drew 24th and was limited on choices, but had ample opportunity to kill ducks. Absolutely no goose opportunities for the whole section, which surprised me. Kudos to those in the section that let the ducks decoy.
I haven't hunted SRSGA since the early 90s and was well reminded that it is a young man's game!
Was able to introduce two young men to the sport yesterday. They traveled two hours to meet me there. With the overcast sky and the fairly strong breeze, we made the mistake of leaving the bug spray in the boat. None of us wanted to walk back to the boat to get it!
Glad that the Subway delivery girl was able to find us before the ducks started flying!
Military camouflage Camouflage Military uniform Marines Sky

·
Registered
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
PM hunt - drew 24th and was limited on choices, but had ample opportunity to kill ducks. Absolutely no goose opportunities for the whole section, which surprised me. Kudos to those in the section that let the ducks decoy.
I haven't hunted SRSGA since the early 90s and was well reminded that it is a young man's game!
Was able to introduce two young men to the sport yesterday. They traveled two hours to meet me there. With the overcast sky and the fairly strong breeze, we made the mistake of leaving the bug spray in the boat. None of us wanted to walk back to the boat to get it!
Glad that the Subway delivery girl was able to find us before the ducks started flying!
View attachment 791638
haha. we did same thing saturday. accidently left bug spray in boat....i sent low man on totem pole to retrieve. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does this channel go straight through (red arrow) or is it bermed off at my blue line forcing you to make a solid right turn? I haven't been there in a while, but I just don't remember it going straight through.
Ecoregion Map Land lot Urban design Font

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT or PSA. I may give away some zone info but I feel this is worth it.
They have dug Boat Access Channels, or BAC's, in some of the units to better access the fields from either end. As you walk in they are well marked and easy to cross on the two track it just came up to my waist so good to tuck in your coat. However in the zones, the edges of these are very steep and again about waist deep. I'm 5ft 7in for a reference. We were in the South Prior unit opening morning and these ditches are cut about 20 to 30 feet into the duck opening on the south side of the strip in each zone. There is also mounds of dirt about 40 feet out into the decoy opening. We marked the edge with a couple decoys and the boys didnt have any trouble crossing them with a walking pole. However when I went to swat and finish off a goose and didnt realize where it was I caught the edge and slipped. I was lucky enough to not go swimming but it could have been bad. My guess is that these are on the North side of the North Prior road zones but this only a guess. I hope this helps save some issues especially when it gets colder out. Steve

21 - 40 of 70 Posts