Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
please use this thread to share/talk about SRSGA and surrounding areas and conditions. Please leave zone #'s out of the success/unsuccessful conversations please. keep it conditions, access info and hunt pics if you would.

2021 OPENING DAY FLOODING CONDITIONS 10/7/21
  • 1-4: Dry (sharecropper has not harvested the soybeans)
  • 6-8: Flooded 6-12” deep across entire field (no mowed openings)
  • 9-14: Flooded 6-18” deep (9 is the shallow zone)
  • 15-22: River marshes (wind and rain dependent)
  • 23-28: Full pool marsh unit (center zones are deepest)
  • 29: Full pool marsh unit
  • 30-38: Dry (partially harvested soybeans)
  • 39-46: Flooded 6-36” deep (39 is the shallow zone) BACs in 39,40,41,43,45, &46
  • 49-50: Shallow marsh / moist soil unit 12-24” deep
  • 53-54: Beaver impoundment 6-36” deep
  • 55-60: Flooded 6-24” deep (55 is the shallow zone) BACs in 55,57, &59
  • 61-66: Flooded 6-24 deep (61 is the shallow zone) BACs in 61,63, &65
  • 67-76: Full pool marsh 12-36” deep
  • 77-117: Flooded woods 6-48” deep (currently in flood stage)
137-150: Marsh / moist soil 6-30” deep (rookery)

special note - warning Flooded woods is DEEP. beware. will be high throughout the weekend due to heavy rains previous.

Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Land lot Asphalt

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What’s BACs
i anticipated this question. lol. thought about explaining it first but figured i'd wait til it gets asked....then a shiawassee killer who hunts in there a lot, is the one to ask it. haha. c'mon cvg.

boat access channels. ditches we cut in so u can access the high end of the field vs. motoring all the way around and coming in from the deep end.

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great report Shi Kid, I have been a long time stalker of your posts. Am hunting Shi for the first time next Saturday evening, was lucky enough to have my brother draw. Thanks for the information

Jack I.
good luck. pm me before you come and i'll give ya the latest info i have.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Great report Shi Kid, I have been a long time stalker of your posts. Am hunting Shi for the first time next Saturday evening, was lucky enough to have my brother draw. Thanks for the information

Jack I.
Evening are generally better. Don’t get a refuge mentality. Take a look at the draw order if you want to familiarize yourself and see what people are picking. It’s pretty much always Prior Rd first. Not always because it’s better. It’s easier access with no dike pulls and right next to the refuge. People get tunnel vision about the refuge.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
FIELD LAYOUTS-
· 1-4- Zones are separated by 450’ openings (known as “block zones”) to assure adequate hunter spacing. Soybeans are planted by the sharecropper so the field will provide open water conditions when flooded. Note; the zone 3 – 4 block was accidentally shifted to the north, so zone 3 is relatively short compared to zone 4.
· 6-8- This unit was 100% disked to remove undesirable plants after 6 years of moist soil management. Corn was planted in the unit for the hunting zones with moist soil management for the remainder. A solid corn block zone will separate zones 6 and 7. Moist soil production is rated as “good” due to late germination of wild millet.
· 9-14- Small grains are planted outside the moist soil decoy openings. Moist soil production is rated as “fair”.
· 30-38- Corn is planted in an open block zone layout. Harvested soybeans will provide open water hunting after flooding.
· 39-46- Corn is planted solid in the block zones. Small grains are planted outside the moist soil decoy openings. Moist soil openings were treated with herbicide on August 10th to kill a cocklebur infestation. Moist soil production is rated as “poor”.
· 55-60- Corn is planted in solid block zones. Small grains are planted outside the decoy openings. Moist soil production is rated as “very good”.
· 61-66- Corn is planted in solid block zones. The remainder of the unit is managed as moist soils. Early herbicide treatment removed 100% of the invasive reed canary grass problem. Moist soils are rated as “excellent”.
FLOODING NOTES;
· 39-46, 55-60, AND 61-66 will have boat access channels dug in the highest zones (see related article). This will permit shallower opening day flooding to take advantage of the abundant moist soils and small grains while still providing good boat access.
· The SFCHA has requested that 1-4 flooding be delayed by 1 week.
· The SFCHA has requested that 30-38 flooding be delayed by 2 weeks (possibility of a small flooding in the NW drainage ditch).

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
2021 SRSGA DAILY DRAWING - REGISTRATION CARD PROCEDURE

(After Driving through to pick up your registration card)
1. Party leaders are responsible for turning in the top copy of their completed registration card PRIOR TO THE DRAWING.
2. Party leaders will place their numbered registration card top copy into the corresponding numbered slot on the slotted card rack, located inside the building, with numbers 1 through 100.
3. Find the slot corresponding to your registration card number and place the top copy facing toward you with the party number visible.
4. The computer randomized draw will be announced and shown on a 70” video monitor next to the drive through entrance (see photo).
5. Zone selection will take place using the same drive through process as last year.
6. Parties who decide to pass in the draw can retain their registration card and select a leftover zone after the draw is complete.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you need to print anything and bring it with you to the draw if that shows you have been successful in the reserved hunt application?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts