Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our crew of 4 ended up shooting a 4 man limit of teal. Not too shaby. Here's my haul. 3 bw and 3 gw. 1 green wing had a mishap after a neck wringing. Happens.. View attachment 785056
dumb question from a newbie.... are these all hens or are teal still in their eclipse plumage? When do they get the colors on their noggins? I spent 3 hours on the edge of a pond watching ducks fly or swim by. The only ones on the water were woodies, and the only ones I could positively identify on the wing were woodies. I assume the one's I wasn't sure of were also woodies but... I'm not sure. Still worth burning a vacation day even though I didn't shoot!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
dumb question from a newbie.... are these all hens or are teal still in their eclipse plumage? When do they get the colors on their noggins? I spent 3 hours on the edge of a pond watching ducks fly or swim by. The only ones on the water were woodies, and the only ones I could positively identify on the wing were woodies. I assume the one's I wasn't sure of were also woodies but... I'm not sure. Still worth burning a vacation day even though I didn't shoot!
Yes. All teal are little brown ducks right now. The tell on Bluewings is a powder blue wing patch, can't miss it. GWs - size and flight behavior are all you can go by.
Breeding plumage comes in November.
I've been duck hunting 45 years and I passed on a 4 pack that came through. I had 3 seconds to decide, passed. In hindsight they probably were BWs. But, its a long season, there will be other ducks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes. All teal are little brown ducks right now. The tell on Bluewings is a powder blue wing patch, can't miss it. GWs - size and flight behavior are all you can go by.
Breeding plumage comes in November.
I've been duck hunting 45 years and I passed on a 4 pack that came through. I had 3 seconds to decide, passed. In hindsight they probably were BWs. But, its a long season, there will be other ducks.
Thanks for that, it helps a ton! I'm dying to identify one at some point. It seems like one of those things where once you start paying attention and identify one, you can't miss them. I've never (to my knowledge) seen a wood duck until this year. I'm sure I've seen them and just didn't realize it. Now that I started paying attention, it's the only thing I see anywhere.

I'm excited for regular season. I could've shot limits of woodies yesterday..

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Curious to what makes you think it's a juvie blue? Nice shoots your having. Skeeters were bigger than the geese this morning.
Are we allowed other geese during early goose?
I thought it was just for nuisance Canadas.
I guess I learned something new?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts