Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
36,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The UP’s forecast says it all. Adding a doe season following a season of low harvest to fill freezers. I agree that areas with the best habitat will require some does to be killed but painting will a broad brush is not the way to accomplish it. DMAPs are a better option but that requires sending staff out in the field.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
DMAPs are a better option but that requires sending staff out in the field.
Having dealt with a local biologist(Cadillac Office) I think DMAPs are a poor option compared to the current rules for the lower peninsula.

Reactions: Radar420

·
Registered
165 Posts
These numbers of harvest that the MDNR gave for last year are all BULL CRAP!!!! Until the MDNR mandates a tella check system like Iowa and Missouri they do not have a clue. Look at Missouri Conservation web site, it will give you each year and county of harvest.. I understand its not 100%, but pretty darn close. Just my thoughts and opinion.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Looking forward to the new antlerless regs. Going to give me more flexibility across the LP rather than buying 10 licenses to cover the handful of private and public I hunt in the surrounding counties. I am not concerned at all about over harvest

These numbers of harvest that the MDNR gave for last year are all BULL CRAP!!!! Until the MDNR mandates a tella check system like Iowa and Missouri they do not have a clue. Look at Missouri Conservation web site, it will give you each year and county of harvest.. I understand its not 100%, but pretty darn close. Just my thoughts and opinion.
Funny. In 2016 Iowa estimated 20% of hunters did not report their kill, making their data set invalid as well. And what good does it do to know the number of deer killed when you don't know how many there are to start with.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the great mandatory check in is coming and all of our deer dreams will come true!!

just wait in 2022 and beyond we will know exactly how many dead deer there are and will be able to make sure we all see big bucks

just kidding

TD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking forward to the new antlerless regs. Going to give me more flexibility across the LP rather than buying 10 licenses to cover the handful of private and public I hunt in the surrounding counties. I am not concerned at all about over harvest

Funny. In 2016 Iowa estimated 20% of hunters did not report their kill, making their data set invalid as well. And what good does it do to know the number of deer killed when you don't know how many there are to start with.
I'm not exactly sure but I think they can estimate population by harvest data.
I could be wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the great mandatory check in is coming and all of our deer dreams will come true!!

just wait in 2022 and beyond we will know exactly how many dead deer there are and will be able to make sure we all see big bucks

just kidding

TD
There is a couple of positives with mandatory check in.

It installs confidence in the dnr from skeptical hunters.
It's just another piece of data to add to the current formula.

Though my opinion the cost probably does justify the results.

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
Ten doe licenses per person in some dmu s in the UP with no total limit is ridiculous IMO

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
@tdduckman

The green DMU units don’t require an access permit and each person may buy up to ten licenses and there is no quota for the allowable number of doe permits.

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
I'm not exactly sure but I think they can estimate population by harvest data.
I could be wrong.
Most likely no. Regardless of fluctuations in densities, the majority of hunters who harvest a deer only take one deer, and the majority are bucks at that. This does not seem dependent on region. Estimated harvest rates between the regions seems fairly consistent as well.
Higher density might make harvesting deer easier, but my guess is that density is not related to overall harvest numbers.
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
They have never been Good at their "Estimated Number" because it is their Best Guess. Add into that If Deer Processors are Required to Provide Numbers of Deer they Process Then how will that be much Different than a Mandatory Check In System and with No Cell Signal how does one Report their Deer Kill? Then add in that those that process Their Own Deer and Others Deer will NEVER be counted! Then those that Never have and Never Will so the "NUMBER'S" will be Skewed As They have and always Will Be. Then Add the Added Cost of this Mandatory System where will that $ Come From? And then What is their Equation to Come up with these Numbers? Throw a Dart and Hit their MAGIC Number and go from there? I have seen their Magic Number System and It does not Work when they opened up the Antlerless, first selling that once Hunters use them you WILL See More and Big Bucks, That NEVER Happened, add to That Where they Wanted them to be Used in Crop Damage Areas were Not but far off from there and once Used Decimated Deer Numbers when they were difficult to get prior to them opening up and offering 10K in a Single DMU! This is Just Fall Back Option when they Aren't Getting enough Hunters to Take Antlerless? So Next as we Know the Single Deer License Will Disappear and the Combo Will Become a Single Buck License and that Will lose More Hunters but those that Accept their Poor Deer Management as It has Gone Down Hill the last 15 years. It was just starting to see some Bucks then CWD Kicked In and Fewer Hunters are Coming To Hunt My Property because they do not have the Time to Deal with CWD Testing or the Lack Of an Easy Way to get their Deer tested! As my Brother No Longer Hunts and others that Hunted there also aren't deer hunting either? They Just Stay Home but again some are Hard Core like the Small Number Here are look at Deer Hunter Numbers and Then look at the members here a Big Difference...
Just Sayin!
Why Put an Faith in MI DNR or NRC?
Newaygo1

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Ten doe licenses per person in some dmu s in the UP with no total limit is ridiculous IMO
None of those DMUs hit quota last year and the limit was 10 licenses per person on private land and unlimited on public up to quota, so it's probably not that big of a deal. I'm sure it's why the rules are the way they are this year for the area. For example, there were 7000 private land permits available for the Menominee unit and 4075 hunters bought 5372 licenses. For public 846 hunters bought 1077 antlerless tags with a quota of 1200.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
In 2019 49% of hunters purchased an antlerless permit and 70% of those only purchased one. This idea that hunters are now going to go out and buy 10 antlerless tags is absurd. The new rules allow those few who want to shoot more does to do so without having to deal with a DMAP program that didn't work in areas where the DNR biologist was too lazy to do the paperwork.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
@tdduckman

The green DMU units don’t require an access permit and each person may buy up to ten licenses and there is no quota for the allowable number of doe permits.
So to be clear your issue is that the DNR is allowing aggressive Doe Harvest in a CWD suspect area that also has a very high Deer density, while limiting Doe harvest in lower density areas.

Seems like the right call to me

TD

·
Registered
19,350 Posts
The new rules allow those few who want to shoot more does to do so without having to deal with a DMAP program that didn't work in areas where the DNR biologist was too lazy to do the paperwork.
We have never experienced a problem with a lazy DNR biologist. Over all of these years we have gotten our permits as long as we took the effort and time to apply for them. Most years we do talk with other area land owners/farmers who complain about not receiving these permits and 100% of the time it is because they had not applied for any permits.
Our experience goes all the way back to the short-lived program called Block Permits. Roughly 30 years ago....not sure on the exact number, but I could look it up on our records.
For those who might wonder.......Block Permits and DMAPs are basically a different name for the same program. These antlerless permits are available to farmers/land owners for deer that will be taken in a regular deer season with a weapon that is legal for that season. For example: starting Oct. 1st we can start filling our permits with archery equipment if we want to. Starting Nov. 15th and going to Jan. 1st we can fill permits with any legal gun or archery equipment.
DMAPs are not summer kill permits with rifles. DMAPs are hunting in season with legal weapons.

L & O

1 - 20 of 150 Posts