Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notice the "projection" for 2021 published in 2020 is about 60% greater than the 2021 actual estimate.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know. I remember people saying there were 150 million in Lake Erie because of the 2018 hatch. Not quite.
There may have been before apparently a ****load of them died? Or maybe the trawls were not representative of reality?

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing of note about the 2019 hatched fish. There is mention they are running small, and we can expect a lot of throwbacks this year from that class.

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading the forage report it appears walleye and perch hatches are great and everything else sucks.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Eat all them damn silver bass they want

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fishery is still in good shape but damn the hatch indices from 2018 and 2019 were waaaaay above 2003's but even 2015's hatch index of 84 resulted in about the same number of 2 yr old walleye as 2018 (255) and 2019 (225) COMBINED. So either something is up with the accuracy of estimates (hatch or population) or they really are not surviving. I'm guessing the latter.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Fishery is still in good shape but damn the hatch indices from 2018 and 2019 were waaaaay above 2003's but even 2015's hatch index of 84 resulted in about the same number of 2 yr old walleye as 2018 (255) and 2019 (225) COMBINED. So either something is up with the accuracy of estimates (hatch or population) or they really are not surviving. I'm guessing the latter.
It would make sense seeing as how emerald shiner numbers are crashing. Hard for a 10 inch walleye to eat an 8 inch gizzard shad, the one forage base fish that is increasing.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Best bait by far on my friends boat for the last two years has been a crank that looks exactly like a 5" walleye.

They eat that when they won't eat anything else.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't know about emerald shiners, bit I haven't seen spottail shiners for sale in bait shops for a few years now, and they used to be common place.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I heard on the Great Lakes Fishing podcast by Fish Hawk, they interviewed a top guy in Ohio fisheries division.
He stated that if all walleye in Erie stopped spawning right now, we would still have incredible fishing for 10 more years!

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Or maybe more are spawning in the lakes and not coming into the river, which would lead a river fisherman to believe that something is up. Or maybe there really is something going on. Lots of possibilities

Reactions: gatorman841

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Or maybe more are spawning in the lakes and not coming into the river, which would lead a river fisherman to believe that something is up. Or maybe there really is something going on. Lots of possibilities
This is exactly what’s happening I think and have been increasing more over the last 8 years. Why though I’m not sure, there is just no shortage of large fish in the lake but in the river there sure is.

·
Super Moderator
36,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fishing is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking population estimates through actual studies. Not fishermen's impressions.

Remember there were supposed to be a record number of 2+ yr old fish in the system now? Well their estimates were revised down. a LOT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts