Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Which unit? I have 4 points now and think I’m going to wait until I can draw 35A. 27B has good draw rates for 3 points

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
41A is the unit we were going to apply for. According to the DNR I talked too they thought 3points should have a pretty good chance. Would you agree? I’ve bow hunted SD a few times, but this is a first for applying for a rifle tag..

·
Registered
891 Posts
41A is the unit we were going to apply for. According to the DNR I talked too they thought 3points should have a pretty good chance. Would you agree? I’ve bow hunted SD a few times, but this is a first for applying for a rifle tag..
I looked at the stats and in 2020 3out4 applicants drew in 41A. Do you have private land access? There is hardly any public land in 41A.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I looked at the stats and in 2020 3out4 applicants drew in 41A. Do you have private land access? There is hardly any public land in 41A.

I I saw that not very many people apply for that county and maybe that’s why, as there’s not much state land offered there. Yes I do have access to private land in that zone. 2 Years ago we bow hunted in Harding County and last year we bow hunted in mellett County. Both were great areas but I did not have access to private land with a rifle.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Where at in Montana? I'm looking at moving to Noxon, Trout Creek area.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I spent a summer in Noxon, Mt getting licensed to guide elk in the early 2000's. It is a beautiful area and I will finally be heading back to that general area to bow hunt elk this year. I was licensed through Ray Hill/Wayne Hill outfitters. Have you been to that area before or any particular reason that area is your destination? If you have any questions shoot me a PM I learned a lot being out there. The hardest part is finding meaningful $$$$ work. I wish to retire to that area someday, until then I gotta make the money to do so.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I killed a nice 10 pt during Iowa archery this past season. Going to put in for Iowa points and go to Illinois Public for a DIY archery hunt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just found out yesterday I’ll be heading to Northern Missouri this upcoming deer season for a rut bow hunt. Have an old friend who has a farm there and invited me out. To say I’m excited is an understatement. Really good ground about 10 miles south of the Iowa border. 172” was taken off the farm this past season. In addition, he is leasing another farm that will offer more options. Keeping dates flexible (in case of weather) but thinking Nov 2nd thru 9th or 10th. Haven’t hunted out of state since 2010 (west central IL private 80 acre farm).

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
My 2020 Illinois plans for public fell apart so I pushed them back to this year. Not sure where yet, still in the research/online scouting phase. I'll make a couple long weekend trips to scout out the terrain. Meanwhile building back points for IA and start putting in for KS.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just found out yesterday I’ll be heading to Northern Missouri this upcoming deer season for a rut bow hunt. Have an old friend who has a farm there and invited me out. To say I’m excited is an understatement. Really good ground about 10 miles south of the Iowa border. 172” was taken off the farm this past season. In addition, he is leasing another farm that will offer more options. Keeping dates flexible (in case of weather) but thinking Nov 2nd thru 9th or 10th. Haven’t hunted out of state since 2010 (west central IL private 80 acre farm).
You are going to be very happy with Missouri. I lived there for a couple years and was amazed at the size of the anterlers on bucks compared to Michigan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hoping they open the border because I have a BC mountain goat/caribou hunt planned for September. If it gets canceled, i'll probably head to TX for Aoudad.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am in the process of booking my ticket to RSA and I was told that there Delta & United have pulled their flights and Qatar pulled their flights to Windhoek. My booking agent also heard that there is potential for a travel ban to RSA. So....here we go again!! I was told to hold off a couple weeks and see if the polaroid develops any further. Maybe I will be going out west if this stuff doesn't clear up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mostly preference points. Colorado elk point 21, Wyoming elk point 11 and Maine moose chances are weird. I’m somewhere north of 25 on moose chances. I might grab some deer points, looking at Iowa.

I bought a Ravin R20 last week, great deal(25% off) but still expensive. So I’m thinking that’s my 2021 trip.
What unit are you waiting on in CO?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was planning on sitting next fall out but I just got the green light for a week in sept.
guess I’m coming in off the bench.

endless possibilities right now. I am thinking archery in Montana if I draw but I’ll need a backup. I’ve got a partner for Montana who said he is in for anything at least in Montana but I’m not sure he will go for Colorado. He lives close to Idaho so that could be a possibility. I was bummed to not be planning a hunt this year but now......

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Wyoming Antelope again?
Michigan Bear on 13 points?
Iowa 1st or 2nd gun on 2 points or save them to go back with the bow in a couple years...

Decisions Decisions
WY Antelope: A group of us went last year. We went 5 for 5.
MI Bear: I took my oldest son on a guided hunt with dogs three years ago. He shot a monster bear that qualified for B & C.
Iowa Deer/1st gun season: A buddy and I went two years ago, and I was lucky enough to take a nice 9 point.

I'm also building Elk points in CO, WY & MI; Deer points in CO, WY and IA; Antelope points in WY; and & Bear points in MI. I think that's all of them, maybe.

I see we think a lot alike.

Good luck with you decision this year.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Just booked an airbnb for me and my fiancee for a mid March scouting trip to southern IL. It helps that its also wine country. Also booked another for the last week of Oct for my hunt. Hitting up Shawnee National Forest and looking forward to challenging myself with some rugged hill country whitetails. I will be way out of my element in the hills but I'll have 9 days in Oct to try to figure them out. I'm hoping all the evenings of online scouting and research will pay off.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts