Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
241 - 260 of 299 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
These are all 2-3 inches if not a little longer now. I’ll let them be for now. I’d rather have cubanelles than shishito. Hopefully they get longer.
I just ate a ripe shishito yesterday. I'd say they are Frank's red hot level of hot, with good flavor overall.

And your friend doesn't know what a Serrano looks like at all lol. They aren't wrinkly. Serrano are more like a jalapeno but not as wide. Definitely don't have any kind of wrinkling.

This was a cubanelle from last year.

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
Well, the soil has definitely dried to a good level. I'm now wondering if the straw I used did have some kind of herbicide and maybe washed into the soil with all the rain. Or... Maybe it's a disease causing really quick death of my tomato plants. This will be the 3rd of 4.

Yea... one of the celebs and one of the beefsteak arent coming back. The first pic is the one on the left near the stakes.

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
Tobasco. The plants are TINY compared to years past. I am blaming the lack of soil amendments and the shade from huge sunflowers.

Jalapeño (suck this year. Didn't get the variety I wanted)

More Scotch bonnet. Huge pods!

"Garden salsa". Too bad I will have to buy tomatoes.

Shishito

Will have to get pics later of habanero and the cayenne style peppers (Portuguese hot? And hot chile). Looks like I missed those.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Well, the soil has definitely dried to a good level. I'm now wondering if the straw I used did have some kind of herbicide and maybe washed into the soil with all the rain. Or... Maybe it's a disease causing really quick death of my tomato plants. This will be the 3rd of 4. View attachment 777848

Yea... one of the celebs and one of the beefsteak arent coming back. The first pic is the one on the left near the stakes.
View attachment 777849
Do the tomato plants rebound when it gets dark and then wilt as soon as the sun comes out?

I used to have a similar issue when I had a container garden and always with green zebra tomatoes (I think the issue was with the supplier.) I had a bit of luck using diluted hydrogen peroxide but it was only enough to get some of the tomatoes to ripen - the plants never totally rebounded and died early.

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
Do the tomato plants rebound when it gets dark and then wilt as soon as the sun comes out?

I used to have a similar issue when I had a container garden and always with green zebra tomatoes (I think the issue was with the supplier.) I had a bit of luck using diluted hydrogen peroxide but it was only enough to get some of the tomatoes to ripen - the plants never totally rebounded and died early.
No. They appear a lost cause.

One of them does have a vine that appears to be alive while the rest is dead. Odd, but maybe a hint of root rot? I really don't know...

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
No. They appear a lost cause.

One of them does have a vine that appears to be alive while the rest is dead. Odd, but maybe a hint of root rot? I really don't know...
Yeah that sucks. Always some issue or another with having a garden.

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
I remember 30 years ago my mother abandoning a flower bed due to bird feeders. She said sunflowers were the culprit if I remember correctly.
The 2 that are dead went from healthy to horribly wilted overnight. I can see some small issue with stunting but not likely to do this.

·
Premium Member
11,632 Posts
I thought they may slow growth but not really kill like this.
I've got vibrantly healthy tomatoes as well as cukes and squash all with sunflowers growing right in with them. Done it for years, and never noticed any problems. If I were to venture a guess....you just don't have enough air circulation. Your gardens are amazing, but it looks like a jungle.

·
Super Moderator
37,818 Posts
I've got vibrantly healthy tomatoes as well as cukes and squash all with sunflowers growing right in with them. Done it for years, and never noticed any problems. If I were to venture a guess....you just don't have enough air circulation. Your gardens are amazing, but it looks like a jungle.
Been like that every year with no issues except blight (which this is definitely not). Yes, it is crazy thick lol. Crammed a lot in a small area.

The difference this year was straw and that humidity and rain for 2 weeks and a 2.5" day of rain. Maybe shade from the sunflowers didn't help with drying out either. I'm now wondering if the rain didn't wash herbicide off the straw and into and into soil. But the peppers are unaffected? Peppers don't like wet feet either, so if too much water, I'm not sure why peppers weren't affected.

Check out the healthiest corner... the pepper plants are taller than my waist and create quite a canopy.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Wait... what's this... some sort of boring insect killing them? Might explain the single vines dead on an otherwise dead plant. I never sprayed for insects this year. View attachment 778002
Everyone I know had lots of problems with there gardens this year.I know most problems I ever had.Wish I could get my pepper plants as big as you do.Mine never get over12 to 15 inches.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Wait... what's this... some sort of boring insect killing them? Might explain the single vines dead on an otherwise dead plant. I never sprayed for insects this year. View attachment 778002
One of my thoughts was a cutworm but they're a little more obvious. Definitely looks like you may have some sort of borer in there. I often have issues with those in squash.

241 - 260 of 299 Posts