Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
201 - 220 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Rabbits have eaten everything to the ground except leaf lettuce, cukes and peppers. They have destoyed 2 plantings of swiss chard, green beans, spinach and peas. The radishes are ok as they don't eat the root crop. I've never saw this many rabbits.
Rabbits are everywhere this year. I had to cut some pieces of welded wire fence and dome it over my beans. Looked out a couple of weeks ago to see a crazed rabbit sitting on top of that fencing nipping the few leaves that were poking through. I stepped out on the deck to "shoo" it away and the rabbit immediately charged right at me. I had no choice but to defend myself with the Ruger 17.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Rabbits have eaten everything to the ground except leaf lettuce, cukes and peppers. They have destoyed 2 plantings of swiss chard, green beans, spinach and peas. The radishes are ok as they don't eat the root crop. I've never saw this many rabbits. Might be the rabbitat I build out back. These suckers are going through 110 to get at it. Seen them get zapped. They jump about 3 feet ahead then dig in like nothing happened. Short of buying 200ft of chicken wire, I'm tossing in the towel. I've had the crosshairs on a number them, but can't do it. However, I did notice one had pierced ears.
You may want to consider adding a couple predator perches for hawks and owls - it may be enough of a deterrent for the rabbits. Or maybe add some fake owls around the garden.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Got lots of rabbits but never bother garden but all I plant is tomatoes peppers zuccines egg plants and beans.The deers do eat grape tomatoes almost every night but I plant them on edges so they don’t trample everything.They really don’t hurt the plants without my cameras I would barely know they come at night for a snack.As for the rabbits I wonder if the marigolds smell is something they don’t like I plant about 70 in garden by plants..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Rabbits have eaten everything to the ground except leaf lettuce, cukes and peppers. They have destoyed 2 plantings of swiss chard, green beans, spinach and peas. The radishes are ok as they don't eat the root crop. I've never saw this many rabbits. Might be the rabbitat I build out back. These suckers are going through 110 to get at it. Seen them get zapped. They jump about 3 feet ahead then dig in like nothing happened. Short of buying 200ft of chicken wire, I'm tossing in the towel. I've had the crosshairs on a number them, but can't do it. However, I did notice one had pierced ears.
Lol, .22 size piercing?

200' 24" Chicken wire. Then bury 8" and spike, stretch and secure tightly to existing fencing. Exactly what I did. Then something flew in and ate destroyed a single cabbage plant. Lol Cripes!

All this rain! Tomatoes are growing like crazy. Dense foliage and heavy stalks. Loading up nicely. Some of our favorites: Celibrity, Rutgers. San Manzano, roma and some new varieties. I'll read the labels again lol.
20210711_164307.jpg
20210711_164319.jpg

·
Super Moderator
37,816 Posts
One of my celebrity tomato plants looked over watered yesterday. Hard to believe being a raised bed. It also looks like it could have another issue like herbicide damage but I haven't used any and the other plants look good. At a loss on this one.

My yard is a fungus stronghold. I believe this is dollar spot. Have had it every year since I hired a lawn service. I fired them after they brought it to my yard and then wanted to charge me to treat it. I just want to grow clover instead lol.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
No need to water the garden today! This is my very accurate home weather station. It was on 1.2" when I went grocery shopping at 11:00 this morning...good thing we got that federal help for flooding, this looks worse than the last one to me....I'll bet the skeeters are digging it!

Good news is that my French drains, new gutters and everything is is working great...
IMG_20210716_113707143_MP~2.jpg

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
No need to water the garden today! This is my very accurate home weather station. It was on 1.2" when I went grocery shopping at 11:00 this morning...good thing we got that federal help for flooding, this looks worse than the last one to me....I'll bet the skeeters are digging it!
Good news is that my French drains, new gutters and everything is is working great... View attachment 777027
The skeeters are going to be crazy.They we’re bad enough.I like to work in garden early morning but skeeters are way to bad got wait until sun is shining and hot and than I only last about a hour.Heat kills me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The skeeters are going to be crazy.They we’re bad enough.I like to work in garden early morning but skeeters are way to bad got wait until sun is shining and hot and than I only last about a hour.Heat kills me.
exactly. I have to spray like 1/4 can of off to be able to stay outside andget anything done. Clay all around here so puddles everywhere.

201 - 220 of 297 Posts